Usher/front Of House Job Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Jan 18 2010, 04:06 PM) View Post
also...are the theatres quite flexible as i dont really want to work weekends as i like to go back home to see my family and boyfriend?
please reply
love louise

er...no.  You work in theatre or you don't.  Can't quite believe the amount of youngsters who want to work in theatre but not weekends or bank holidays.  Remember you ain't going away for Xmas as you'll be working Boxing Day... and work New years Eve and the next day...no Easter weekend off etc etc.  That's what you sign up for.

#32 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

• Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Jan 14 2010, 04:07 PM) View Post
Hey, oh cool you go to ravensbourne to. is not to bad getting bck late then coz i was a bit worried about that? How often do you work? and in what theatre?

The dominion are recruiting so i'm just waiting to hear back and i really hope i get an inteview. I worked in a cinema for 2 and a half years and a cafe for about a year before that so i have quite a bit of customer servic experience.

just wondered what the pay is like?

Love Louise

You couldn't find the rates on the SOLT website?  Can I ask why backstage doesn't appeal to you?

#33 jade-louise

jade-louise

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Guest_louise0501_* @ Jan 18 2010, 04:06 PM) View Post
also...are the theatres quite flexible as i dont really want to work weekends as i like to go back home to see my family and boyfriend?
please reply
love louise

Most West End theatres only recruit people who can commit to 7/8 shows a week. Fridays and Saturdays are times when most people dont want to work so they want people who can work those.

#34 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:29 AM

If I get into a course,  I'll be working as many shows a week as they let me. Both for the experience and the necessary money.

I don't understand this mind-set, some people have, I want to work in theatre, but I don't want to work weekends, Bank holidays, school holidays. I am passionate about working in theatre, I've worked 7 day weeks, very long hours many many times, but that's just what you do for something you love.  I'd work as much as they asked me to just to be doing what I love

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#35 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

I wouldnt even bother with the Dominion. They're terrible to work for

#36 Guest_Guest_Woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_Woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(guest @ Feb 23 2010, 10:30 PM) View Post
I wouldnt even bother with the Dominion. They're terrible to work for

Oh it's such a hard life FoH...terrible in what sense, I wonder?

#37 opinionated_but_right

opinionated_but_right

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

To those seeking advice; most W.E theatres are the same to work for. An hour before, half an hour after. If you're very lucky (places like the Palace) you get your own usher's dressing room. If you're less lucky you change in the corridors or come and go in your work clothes.

The problem is always, always fellow ushers/bar staff rather than the actual patrons. Some really horrible and very bitter people work front of house - saying this from experience of working with them!!

#38 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

I'll agree with that!

One, springs to mind, he trained at Laines and frankly was apalled he had landed a job FoH, every shift, I should be ON there, not here with 'you'... lovely atmosphere. Not sure he's ever made it on there, probably due to his attitude more than talent

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#39 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Allie @ Mar 8 2010, 01:59 PM) View Post
I'll agree with that!

One, springs to mind, he trained at Laines and frankly was apalled he had landed a job FoH, every shift, I should be ON there, not here with 'you'... lovely atmosphere. Not sure he's ever made it on there, probably due to his attitude more than talent

Of course not all FoH are frustrated turns...  Are they?

#40 opinionated_but_right

opinionated_but_right

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Allie @ Mar 8 2010, 01:59 PM) View Post
I'll agree with that!

Two guys spring to mind, both at the Palace. One in the bar, another trying to "rise through the ranks" (his words) and eventually make it "backstage". Dear me!!! The other guy was one of the nastiest pieces of work I've ever had the misfortune to know. Extremely bitchy and camp and works in the bar. You know exactly who you are!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users