#41 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Guest_woodpusher_* @ Mar 9 2010, 12:48 PM) View Post
Of course not all FoH are frustrated turns...  Are they?

I would like to say not! I'm an aspiring tech and work FoH, I'd like to say I'm quite nice to work with. Eek.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#42 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Allie @ Mar 9 2010, 05:19 PM) View Post
I would like to say not! I'm an aspiring tech and work FoH, I'd like to say I'm quite nice to work with. Eek.

Ouch.. you poor soul.  Get yourself round the back sharpish.  How much longer can you stand working with those who pirouette across the circle with no sense of shame?

Go to the HoDs and put yourself up for dep work.  Since it would be on the same production, I'd hope the House Manager would be accomodating.  If you get on with the managers then get them to put a word in too.  Reliability is the number one factor - if you've thrown sickies on a few saturdays then that will count against.

#43 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

• Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(opinionated_but_right @ Mar 9 2010, 02:45 PM) View Post
Two guys spring to mind, both at the Palace. One in the bar, another trying to "rise through the ranks" (his words) and eventually make it "backstage". Dear me!!! The other guy was one of the nastiest pieces of work I've ever had the misfortune to know. Extremely bitchy and camp and works in the bar. You know exactly who you are!!

If he really wants to be RoH then holiday cover is a start. The start in fact.  That's what I did...20 odd years ago mind.  If he means 'backstage' in the sense of onstage then...work.  If the latter is the case then I suspect he'll just mope around the bar waiting to be discovered.

#44 Guest_Guest_Alex_*_*

Guest_Guest_Alex_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'm thinking of applying for some usher/front of house jobs, but am I at a disadvantage if I can only work for two months (August and September)? Do they hire people for such short periods of time?

#45 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

• Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Alex_* @ Mar 19 2010, 03:49 PM) View Post
I'm thinking of applying for some usher/front of house jobs, but am I at a disadvantage if I can only work for two months (August and September)? Do they hire people for such short periods of time?

er...don't tell them.  Just take a job and then leave when you need to.  For what they pay FoH, they can't expect much in the way of loyalty.

And yes I do feel odd pointing out the obvious to an adult.

#46 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

woodpusher. I'm now covering backstage and FoH, my life appears to be now some crazy non stop theatre madness but I love it! The only way they'd allow me to get backstage was to keep my number of hours FoH as the same. By hell I hope that I get into a SM course this year.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#47 Cailín_Eireann

Cailín_Eireann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

saw this thread and just wondering would anyone be able to give me some advice too! i live in Ireland, galway, but am moving to London at the end of May for a year to start on my masters degree. i love love theatre so working in a theatre would be an ideal job for me.
i don't have any theatre experience and am not an actor/singer/performer. i have looked at websites such as stagejobspro but they seem to only apply to those who are already in the area and thestage website don't have much up. Perhaps they are just not looking for people at this time but my fear is that, as so many people apply, they don't feel the need to advertise. If i could, i would just walk into the various theatres and enquire but unfortunately, won't be in London before i move in May. I have tried show websites and tried ringing the numbers provided but no luck.
Does anyone know when and if theatres look for FOH staff or backstage help for the summer? Anyone have suggestions as to how to get in contact with those who hire?

Any help/guidance/tips would be much appreciated!

#48 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Cailín_Eireann @ Apr 5 2010, 02:11 PM) View Post
saw this thread and just wondering would anyone be able to give me some advice too! i live in Ireland, galway, but am moving to London at the end of May for a year to start on my masters degree. i love love theatre so working in a theatre would be an ideal job for me.
i don't have any theatre experience and am not an actor/singer/performer. i have looked at websites such as stagejobspro but they seem to only apply to those who are already in the area and thestage website don't have much up. Perhaps they are just not looking for people at this time but my fear is that, as so many people apply, they don't feel the need to advertise. If i could, i would just walk into the various theatres and enquire but unfortunately, won't be in London before i move in May. I have tried show websites and tried ringing the numbers provided but no luck.
Does anyone know when and if theatres look for FOH staff or backstage help for the summer? Anyone have suggestions as to how to get in contact with those who hire?

Any help/guidance/tips would be much appreciated!

Youre best bet will be when you get there to do just that. Walk round all the theatres and hand in your CV.

#49 Guest_candice_*

Guest_candice_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hi!
Does anyone know if they're recruiting for front of house staff at the moment?
Thanks!
C.

#50 Guest_Mol_*

Guest_Mol_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Do you think they'll hire someone for two months? I'm a dutch girl looking for a summer job in Londen and doing something similar in the Netherlands at the moment...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users