• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

I enjoyed this - but please what was all the fuss about, it was a rounded piece of theatre - but as for the tears, everyone said would come ........ well sadly not. I did not engage emotionally with many of the characters ! Only one I felt anything towards was The Coram Man / Otis. Glad I saw it but I left feeling a little bit cheated !

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Sorry but I have to say this - is there a reason why this is a new thread rather than posted in the existing Coram Boy thread?

#3 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

yes because new replies to a thread can get lost and like the last thread was all in praise - threads are her to generate new discussion - is that ok with you Mate !

#4 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the point of a discussion board was to discuss different views on and responses to a production not to start a new thread each time someone thinks they have a new opinion.   In any case, a ) new replies don't get lost as the thread bounces to the top of the page and shows up as having new posts and b ) the old thread was not all in praise, as you would know if you had read it before starting a new thread.

#5 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

I will correct you and keep on correcting you all the time ! Not everyone will read the full threads on any topic especially when it gets too long ! so thats the end of it !

#6 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

A two page thread is too long to read?  Wow I know the education system isn't perfect but I didn't realise it had got to that stage.  So, you didn't read the existing thread and tried to come up with an excuse for why you started a new one but the excuse didn't match with the facts.  And here I am thinking that a discussion means more than one view per thread rather than one thread per view.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Matthew has already pointed this out - the View New Threads option is to show you which threads have had new posts since you last used it. Why would you think people want to click on every single thread just to see if there are new ones?

But Skylight and I may be in a minority on this. We'll have to wait until the WOS staff take some control of the board to find out. Though if it does turn out that every new thought does require a different thread, that is the point I will officially give up on this board. Do people seriously want that? A new thread for every single review or question? How would anyone keep up with that?

#8 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

That would be sheer madness. Surely there should just be separate threads for each show. All you have to do it to check the new posts to keep up with what is happening on the board. There is no need to read all of the threads if you don't want to. I can't wait to see what WoS do with the board but my feeling is that it will be exactly the same as this in a few months time.

#9 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

It would appear that some posters haven't quite grasped the concept of discussion and simply want to use the board to unilaterally publish their views.  Given that there are blog and review options for doing just that one can only assume that that wasn't the intention behind the board.  On larger (ie successful, thriving) sites with thousands (hundreds of thousands in some cases) of members and hundreds of regular posters duplicating threads breaches the Ts & Cs and can result in a (fixed period) ban.  Keeping all the ideas together is the way discussion is generated.  If the board carries on like this it will never develop into a thriving forum.  (Note to WOS, thriving forum = ability to generate major advertising revenue.)

Btw am I the only person who has an orange box next to threads to show new posts since I last opened the thread (or a thread that I have never opened)?  As Blue says, there's no need to trawl through all threads or all new posts, try picking a few threads that you are interested in and open only those.

#10 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

If Matthew & Skylight are in a minority I'd like to add to it. I also think it's pointless starting a whole new thread for this - In The Know's comments would have sat quite comfortably in the existing thread. Anyone interested in a thread will revisit it when it goes to the top of the board with new posts. I realise how pernickety this may sound to many people but I think it's a shame that we don't take advantage of one of the clear benefits of this style of board, i.e. the ease of avoiding the proliferation of multiple threads on one topic that occurred on the old board (understandably, given its format).
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users