The Soldier's Fortune

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bad Idea Bear_*

Guest_Bad Idea Bear_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

This doesn't seem to be getting very good reviews which is a shame considering the cast.  Has anyone seen this and is it really as bad as reported?

#2 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

I have tickets for next week, I hope it's not as bad as the reviews make out.

#3 Guest_smith_*

Guest_smith_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

I saw one of the first previews, and it was not good at all. Just really unfunny, largely incomprehensible and an awful set. As they were free tickets, we didn't go back after the interval.

It's unreserved seating, so if you do go, avoid the left hand side of the balcony - v.limited view.

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

I stayed to the end (because I always do) but it didn't get any better. I couldn't follow one plot-line at all and the main one seemed extremely distasteful. It finishes as 10.30 - so that's 3 hours for a light comedy. Which is surely half an hour too long.

#5 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

I saw it last week and I have to say it IS as bad as everybody has been saying. I walked out after little over an hour - something I never do as a rule - but I found my mind wondering to so many things I'd rather be doing, so I went and did them instead.

There is nothing to enjoy in this dreary, unfunny farrago (or at least there wasn't in the first hour of it). Steer clear, I'd say.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#6 Guest_Guest_Owen_*_*

Guest_Guest_Owen_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

I took advanatge of the 5 preview offer and whilst good to see what a superb job has been done to The Young Vic this truly was a dire play for The Young Vic so early in their re-opening to stage and the savage reviews will not encourage audiences. The play itself was totally unfunny. Set was awful - with direction to match and the superb group of actors combined could not make this work and I too walked out at the interval and noticed we were not alone. One small gripe about the Young Vic. The selling of sweets etc are for me a constant source of irritation - but to see boxed popcorn for sale in the theatre and to see the ushers coming round the auditorium selling sweets and popcorn from trays - beggars belief!

#7 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Oh dear.. maybe I won't go after all.

#8 DavidB

DavidB

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

I hadn't picked up on the staff selling sweets, etc., but yesterday's matinee included some of the worst behave audience members i have ever encountered - teenagers who talked almost throughout the play and rustled crisps, sweets, etc. At least they had turned off their mobiles. The play iteslf is not quite as bad as some reviews have suggested but it is not very funny. At least the tickets are cheap and it is worth going just to see what a good job they have done with the Young Vic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users