#21 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Jan 28 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post
I'm with Backdrifter on this one. I don't work on Wednesday afternoons which you'd think would be ideal for a theatregoer. Matinee audiences at the NT do seem reasonably well-trained but the old dears at any WE plays or somewhere like Hampstead or Richmond are appalling. (And, as an aside, I have found this in Real Life too - it's the posh old ladies who pride themselves on their good manners who are often rudest to anyone they deem to be their social inferiors). I have no problem with school matinees if their teachers take a bit of trouble to tell them what is expected from them in the way of good behaviour and it's often refreshing to have them clap at a funny bit or gasp at something shocking or answer a rhetorical question in a soliloquy. And at least they don't clog up the bar, taking 10 minutes to decide what to drink as an impatient queue forms

A little ageist perhaps armadillo? I don't think I'd DARE behave badly if I knew you were in the audience! laugh.gif

#22 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

More personal jibes, Daniel? Tell, what exactly have I ever done to offend you that you never miss an opportunity for a snide and unpleasant dig at me?  If this is your idea of good behaviour, I'd hate to see you actually behave badly. And are you not being a little sexist here - Backdrifter has made the same point many times yet it's me you choose as the victim of your sarcasm. I'm being quite serious here - I'm actually getting quite upset by your endless insults though I don't intend to be driven off the boards by your, or anyone else's  bullying, though thankfully such rudeness is actually quite rare on these boards.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Jan 28 2008, 06:57 PM) View Post
More personal jibes, Daniel? Tell, what exactly have I ever done to offend you that you never miss an opportunity for a snide and unpleasant dig at me? If this is your idea of good behaviour, I'd hate to see you actually behave badly. And are you not being a little sexist here - Backdrifter has made the same point many times yet it's me you choose as the victim of your sarcasm. I'm being quite serious here - I'm actually getting quite upset by your endless insults though I don't intend to be driven off the boards by your, or anyone else's bullying, though thankfully such rudeness is actually quite rare on these boards.

armadillo, I have no intention of being insulting, rude or bullying. It is not my style. Most of my comments have been tongue in cheek or jovial as evidenced by an accompanying smiley. You are inclined to take these comments more seriously than they are meant and, if I may say so, you are a little thin skinned, particularly for someone who is frequently quite dismissive of the opinions of others on this site. To be honest, I had not read Backdrifters' previous entry & your point in that respect is accepted. You have obviously not taken my comments in the spirit in which they were posted and you are clearly, as you state, upset by them. As I say, that was not my intention but nevertheless I apologise for causing offence. You may also rest assured that I will desist from any further similar comments. sad.gif

#24 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Saw Fiddler on friday evening and i had to have a winge at 3 over 40 year olds about there behaviour one either side of me and one behind me!

the first from Germany - found it was acceptable to sing along with the show really loudly, the second decided it would be fine to give her hard of hearing friend a running commentary, the 3rd decided that it would be acceptable to read a broadsheet newspaper all away through the show whilst turning the pages really loud!

needless to say I moved for the second act - have to say though it isnt the nicest of theatres...left me feeling very cold and slightly distanced from the stage even though i was only on row g
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#25 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Not in a theatre but backs up the point about the less likely pains in the arse - went to see Sweeney Todd on Friday night.

The cinema was far from jampacked, but most of the seats were taken, and certainly almost all of the 'good' central seats. A couple - mid to late fifties - were sat in front of us. Another couple came in, looked at their tickets and established that the older couple were, in fact, sitting in their seats. They said, very politely 'do you mind checking your tickets as I think you're in our seats?'. The man then replied 'what are you talking about, there's hundreds of seats' (whilst gesturing to the crap seats in front of him, where you get neck ache staring up at the screen) 'why don't you sit in them?'

The younger couple protested some more til the gentleman told them to sod off and sit elsewhere. They went and sat on the other side of the aisle.

After a minute, the younger woman came back across and said, politely but firmly, 'I just wanted to explain that we did, in fact, book these tickets several days ago because we wanted these seats and I think you're being unreasonable'. Both man and woman proceeded to swear at her again and make a fuss about all those empty seats she could sit in.

AS IF that wasn't all bad enough (I was very tempted to sit and kick the back of his chair/head from my seat), less than 15 minutes into the film, they got up and left! But not before taking five minutes to put their coats on, pick up their popcorn, and generally create even more of a fuss.

And they say it's bloody teenagers who have no manners!!
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#26 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(Haz @ Jan 28 2008, 09:24 PM) View Post
And they say it's bloody teenagers who have no manners!!

Exactly. I've rarely had trouble with teenagers in theatres, on the occasions they're there. Easily 8 or 9 times out of 10, it's been the middle-aged or elderly.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#27 FP2

FP2

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Had a most pleasant experience at the Arts theatre watching the Tempest recently. Took my nice seat behind a pillar blocking half my view of the stage...the lights dimmed and the play started whilst people were still walking in...then about ten minutes ina group of people collectively decided to arrange which order they were sat. Then right in the middle of a scene an usher let a group of about 10 in to the row behind which was not only distracting from the sound but also from the fact that they kept banging the backs of the seats! One of this group then decided they didnt like the play and fell asleep - snoring and all. Then when he woke up, his phone was vibrating every two seconds (well he'd been considerate enough to put it on vibrate i guess)...he then sat making loud yawns for the rest of the performance. As to my view, well about half way through the man who had been in the row in front decided to change seats and lean against the pillar in my way, which effectively blocked my entire view. As well as the noisy ushers talking as loudly as they could outside and the doors squeaking open every two minutes, it made for a most pleasant experience...wont be going back to the arts theatre anytime soon...

And in the midst of all this, a group of three small boys no older than 6 or 7 sat enthralled and well behaved during the entire thing...

#28 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(Legend @ Jan 26 2008, 01:02 PM) View Post
I think Wicked attracts more teenage girl fans to their show than the SoM and Joseph. Hence the screaming and general whooping and hysterical disturbances. rolleyes.gif

I havn't seen Wicked, so can you tell me what teenage girls are actually whooping at, please.

#29 Legend

Legend

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Jan 29 2008, 11:36 AM) View Post
I havn't seen Wicked, so can you tell me what teenage girls are actually whooping at, please.

To be quite honest with you I have only seen Wicked once. On my attendance there was a cacophony of whooping when Kerry Ellis appeared for the first time in green. Everything else is just a blur as I think I dozed off a lot in the second act.

#30 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Legend @ Jan 29 2008, 12:57 PM) View Post
To be quite honest with you I have only seen Wicked once. On my attendance there was a cacophony of whooping when Kerry Ellis appeared for the first time in green. Everything else is just a blur as I think I dozed off a lot in the second act.

Well let's hope for everybody else's sake that you didn't snore!! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users