#741 CallB

CallB

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(CallB @ Nov 8 2009, 04:58 PM) View Post
Sorry I forgot to attach my post.
I went to see La Cage Aux Folles last night with my sister. This wasnt so much badly behaved as extremely irritating. i dont want to appear a bit of a snob and bore but I think the coach picking up the X Factor audience went to the wrong building. I hate that whooping loud audience, and we were surrounded. Every time JB came out in another costume change, there were whoops and guffaws, every time a slightly risque joke was told, whoops and guffaws, cheers. There was a clap along to every single song (apart from the ballads). There was cheering whenever someone said something slightly witty. Everytime the butler/maid came on, loud racuous laughter and whoops.
Also, people came in during the overture with big buckets of beer.
I am actually interested to know if anyone has seen this with any other actor - were the audience only like this with him - I fear that he is attracting large parties of whooping women.
Added to this we decided to get autographs which I am not normally keen on but I also really liked Simon and I had my Cole Porter JB cd. We were waiting in the rain and Simon came out and was really sweet and thanked us for waiting and getting wet. Then JB's "people" said Mr Barrowman may not sign and he doesnt want photos taken with people. Is this normal for him? He then appeared and announced that if it rained he would stop signing and go. He went around the crowd, not speaking and left. As I said, I am not a keen pursuer of autographs although I wait at the Royal Ballet stage door and the dancers are lovely and down to earth and chat for ages. I suppose I've heard he is very much like this so felt a bit short changed. I know JB fans are going to come out in droves and defend him so I'll be interested to hear opinions.

#742 Beanie88

Beanie88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(CallB @ Nov 8 2009, 04:58 PM) View Post
Sorry I forgot to attach my post.
I went to see La Cage Aux Folles last night with my sister.  This wasnt so much badly behaved as extremely irritating.  i dont want to appear a bit of a snob and bore but I think the coach picking up the X Factor audience went to the wrong building.  I hate that whooping loud audience, and we were surrounded.  Every time JB came out in another costume change, there were whoops and guffaws, every time a slightly risque joke was told, whoops and guffaws, cheers.  There was a clap along to every single song (apart from the ballads).  There was cheering whenever someone said something slightly witty.  Everytime the butler/maid came on, loud racuous laughter and whoops.
Also, people came in during the overture with big buckets of beer.
I am actually interested to know if anyone has seen this with out JB and were the audience only like this with him - I fear that he is attracting large parties of whooping women.
Added to this we decided to get autographs which I am not normally keen on but I also really liked Simon and I had my Cole Porter JB cd. We were waiting in the rain and Simon came out and was really sweet and thanked us for waiting and getting wet.  Then JB's "people" said Mr Barrowman may not sign and he doesnt want photos taken with people.  Is this normal for him?  He then appeared and announced that if it rained he would stop signing and go.  He went around the crowd, not speaking and left.  As I said, I am not a keen pursuer of autographs although I wait at the Royal Ballet stage door and the dancers are lovely and down to earth and chat for ages.  I suppose I've heard he is very much like this so felt a bit short changed.  I know JB fans are going to come out in droves and defend him so I'll be interested to hear opinions.

I'm no fan of mr barrowman but I know that he can be talkative at the end of his own concerts. Maybe it was just the bad weather that put him in a bad mood.

#743 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

He'd done two shows where I'd imagine he'd given the best performance he could and he signed some autographs. What more do you want? Do you really expect him to chat for hours to complete strangers? Why on earth should he? Can't he just go home to his partner like everyone else does? I will never understand why people assume that actors should be expected to do anything more than perform well on stage or in the studio.

#744 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

Just remembered someone fell asleep at the back of the circle for The Power of Yes and kept snoring/grunting. He got some very funny looks!!

I ALWAYS double/triple check to make sure my phone is turned off, I really can't understand it.

#745 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

Just remembered someone fell asleep at the back of the circle for The Power of Yes and kept snoring/grunting. He got some very funny looks!!

Obviously a theatregoer of some discrimination!

#746 clair

clair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

From all I've heard JB is normally very chatty etc after concerts - could be different after a show though as they are running for longer periods. Can understand the rain comment - last thing performers need is a cold when in a show and standing out in the rain after all the heat of lights etc on stage wouldn't be a good idea! Of course, like the rest of us, he may just have had a long day at work and want to go home. If I wait to see a performer it's always with the knowledge it could be wasted time - they are under NO obligation to stop, I've paid for the show not their time afterwards

My biggest gripe with audiences is as much with the theatres as the audience. I hate the fact that people are allowed to take drinks from the bar in - the smell of red wine in particular is disgusting and I see no reason why I should have to put up with it just because the idiot next to me can't last for an hour and a half without alcohol - go to a pub not a theatre!

#747 Violette

Violette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Nov 1 2009, 10:06 AM) View Post
Yesterday at Les Mis, people started clapping along to the rhythm of the Finale. You know. The "Do you hear the people sing" reprise. This is not a pop concert, people. D: And yes, that kind of ruined the moment...

Yes, that seems to be happening more frequently in Les Mis. I hate it. They clapped along last week too.

And there was an exclamation of "GOT HIM!!" when Gavroche was shot.

And a loud "Is that Cosette??" when she first appeared onstage as an adult. I thought her costume as child and adult is the same ugliest-of-all-dresses just so we can figure out it's the same person.

And then the guy sat behind me seemed to be translating the entire production to his partner. Even when 2 audience members asked him to stop, and the usher during the interval told him there had been complaints about him, he maintained his commmentary during the second act.

#748 CallB

CallB

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Nov 8 2009, 10:17 PM) View Post
He'd done two shows where I'd imagine he'd given the best performance he could and he signed some autographs. What more do you want? Do you really expect him to chat for hours to complete strangers? Why on earth should he? Can't he just go home to his partner like everyone else does? I will never understand why people assume that actors should be expected to do anything more than perform well on stage or in the studio.

I just knew I'd get this.  I've just had to go over my post to see if I complained about John Barrowman.  Well no I didnt.  My main argument was with the audience.  Then I asked if anyone had seen it without him and if the audience was any different.  Frankly I didnt care whether I saw him or not, my sister likes to get autographs.  So please dont say what more do I want.  I didnt want anything except maybe a more refined audience.  My only crime is being a snob I suppose.  As to John Barrowman, when we got to the stage door we were very giggly and hysterical and my post was whimsical rather than complaining.  My gripe was with the security man rather than JB.  I didnt assume anything. I dont expect him to perform either. All I said was that he was a bit abrupt that was all.  I certainly wouldnt annoy a well known figure in a supermarket going about their business, or in a restaurant but I think if your fans are waiting outside the stage door (in the rain), you could be a bit more appreciative (oh god, I'm going to get a barrage of complaints now).  
Anyway, my question has been answered by a more tolerant colleague at work who was surprised he wasnt more friendly and and said when he went to see Roger Allam the audience were better.  So my question has been answered.  Thank you and goodbye.  (Flounces off in a dramatic way).

#749 Beanie88

Beanie88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(CallB @ Nov 9 2009, 07:23 PM) View Post
I just knew I'd get this.  I've just had to go over my post to see if I complained about John Barrowman.  Well no I didnt.  My main argument was with the audience.  Then I asked if anyone had seen it without him and if the audience was any different.  Frankly I didnt care whether I saw him or not, my sister likes to get autographs.  So please dont say what more do I want.  I didnt want anything except maybe a more refined audience.  My only crime is being a snob I suppose.  As to John Barrowman, when we got to the stage door we were very giggly and hysterical and my post was whimsical rather than complaining.  My gripe was with the security man rather than JB.  I didnt assume anything. I dont expect him to perform either. All I said was that he was a bit abrupt that was all.  I certainly wouldnt annoy a well known figure in a supermarket going about their business, or in a restaurant but I think if your fans are waiting outside the stage door (in the rain), you could be a bit more appreciative (oh god, I'm going to get a barrage of complaints now).  
Anyway, my question has been answered by a more tolerant colleague at work who was surprised he wasnt more friendly and and said when he went to see Roger Allam the audience were better.  So my question has been answered.  Thank you and goodbye.  (Flounces off in a dramatic way).

We did answer your question you just didn't like the answer. One person disregarded what you said the rest of us answered you honestly.

#750 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(CallB @ Nov 9 2009, 07:23 PM) View Post

If you are still lurking and haven't actually flounced off wink.gif I have to say your post about the audience at La Cage struck a chord with me. I've seen the show with Philip Quast and Roger Allam - I thought they were excellent and Allam inparticular had me in stitches at times. I would have said most of the audience at that show very much enjoyed it too judging by the laughter I heard. But having seen JB in the role, I have to wonder how much store to set by audience reaction. The response to his performance bordered on hysterical at times - he played to the gallery and the gallery loved it. Good for them, him and the show I suppose, but it just left me totally bemused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users