Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:17 AM

From another thread:
QUOTE(Weez @ Nov 9 2009, 10:00 PM) View Post
I also REALLY don't understand how people can fail to sit in the right seats! Give every member of your party their own ticket, make sure you're in the right section, then the right row (front row is A and it all goes in alphabetical order back from there), then the right seat (and every one has a little number on it)! How is that so freakin' DIFFICULT?

That amazes me too. If you're Greek or Russian or Chinese you might not be totally familiar with our alphabet, but it amazes me how many people seem to forget the alphabet completely when confronted by rows of lettered seats. OK, so the seating isn't always perfectly regular - many venues omit rows I and O and don't start from A, and some number seats out from the middle rather from end to end - but still, it shouldn't take a stack of qualifications to work out that if you're standing by row P and want row W then you should try again a few rows further back, and if you want seat 28 and you have seat 12 to your left and 13 to your right then you should head quite a bit further to the right. It's almost as if these people imagine that the theatre had a great sack of seat numbers and just threw them into the auditorium and nailed them down wherever they fell.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#752 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE(CallB @ Nov 9 2009, 07:23 PM) View Post
I just knew I'd get this.  I've just had to go over my post to see if I complained about John Barrowman.  Well no I didnt.  My main argument was with the audience.  Then I asked if anyone had seen it without him and if the audience was any different.  Frankly I didnt care whether I saw him or not, my sister likes to get autographs.  So please dont say what more do I want.  I didnt want anything except maybe a more refined audience.  My only crime is being a snob I suppose.  As to John Barrowman, when we got to the stage door we were very giggly and hysterical and my post was whimsical rather than complaining.  My gripe was with the security man rather than JB.  I didnt assume anything. I dont expect him to perform either. All I said was that he was a bit abrupt that was all.  I certainly wouldnt annoy a well known figure in a supermarket going about their business, or in a restaurant but I think if your fans are waiting outside the stage door (in the rain), you could be a bit more appreciative (oh god, I'm going to get a barrage of complaints now).  
Anyway, my question has been answered by a more tolerant colleague at work who was surprised he wasnt more friendly and and said when he went to see Roger Allam the audience were better.  So my question has been answered.  Thank you and goodbye.  (Flounces off in a dramatic way).

I misunderstood owing to the fact that your post didn't sound whimsical - you seemed to me to be complaining about Barrowman not signing autographs. I also didn't realise that you were only asking for comments on one part of your post.  I still say that unless he actually swore at you or tore up your autograph books, you have no right to complain.

I've seen La Cage with three different Albins (including JB) and I didn't notice much difference in the audience. The contrived standing ovation was equally embarassing each time *is grumpy*

#753 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Nov 10 2009, 06:34 AM) View Post
I misunderstood owing to the fact that your post didn't sound whimsical - you seemed to me to be complaining about Barrowman not signing autographs. I also didn't realise that you were only asking for comments on one part of your post.  I still say that unless he actually swore at you or tore up your autograph books, you have no right to complain.

I've seen La Cage with three different Albins (including JB) and I didn't notice much difference in the audience. The contrived standing ovation was equally embarassing each time *is grumpy*

It didn't feel remotely contrived the time I saw it. And I hate those US sort of push button SOs (usually for something which doesn't remotely deserve it!)

Seb

#754 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I agree with Seb. In fact, La Cage aux Folles with Roger Allam and Philip Quast was one of the very few "real" standing ovations I can remember in quite a long time - not a case of a few people standing up and others slowly following (perhaps because they can't see the stage?), this was pretty much everyone in the stalls leaping to their feet the second the two of them came on for their bows.

#755 Guest_Unimpressed_*

Guest_Unimpressed_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

I agree with Marius. I've only seen a few shows in which the standing ovation came naturally - but this was certainly one of them. Quast and Allam were honestly so perfect (barring Allam's somewhat weak vocals) and everyone was loving it so much I wasn't surprised. However, the second time I saw it with them in it there was no standing ovation, but the audience just wasn't getting it in the same way as the first time.

Speaking of badly behaved audiences, you don't get much worse than the drunk tools at Priscilla tonight, who thought it was acceptable to sing along (badly) at the top of their voices, wave their arms in the air and generally behave massively obnoxiously because, in their own words, they were gay and it was a 'gay play'. The mind boggles. They then told (shouted) '**** off' in a fellow audience member's face at the end of the show, simply because they had asked them to stop singing so loudly during the first act! They were too chicken to do it in the interval as they must have known they would have been thrown out! Unbelievable.

#756 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

John Barrowman has always been willing to meet fans but got some unneccessary stick in the Birmingham press when he was doing his 2nd pantomime run there as sometimes he didn't use the stage door. At some theatres stars can use a number of ways i.e the National and a dedicated autograph collector gets to know this and often I've heard of big stars slipping out of side doors and happily signing for a couple of people who have sussed it out and joking about it.

The security guy probably knew a lot of the fans were waiting for John and warned he may not sign to maybe stop a bad reaction if they found out that John had left the Playhouse by another way. Bob Hoskins went out down the bottom by the side of the Stage Door and Kirstin Scott Thomas went out the front sometimes so John could have skipped out those ways or if he was on his motorcycle ( he used one when he was in A Few Good Men) could have come out in his gear with his helmet on and I bet not many would have recognised him.

As regards people sat in wrong seats, always make sure you have the right seat before you raise an issue, if anyone refuses to move just get a steward/usher and ask them to check the tickets. Never accept other seats unless it is only one or two out and the view isn't any worse. I've had people try to tell me to sit a couple of rows back when they are in the wrong seats, a threat to sit on their laps soon moved them.

#757 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Going to the theatre in November, you expect coughing, but the woman behind me at Evita this afternoon picked 'Don't Cry Fopr Me Argentina' as the moment in which to have a coughing fit. Great timing!!!

Actually, I felt kinda bad for her, it's happened to me before. Though when I offered her my water and she declined I thought "you better shut up!" Thankfully she did. And I could still hear Rachael singing beautifully.

#758 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Oct 25 2009, 05:29 AM) View Post
And as they usually try to grab the front row, the end result is a reluctant and unconvincing ripple of standees sweeping back as each row in turn stands to see over the one in front. The last time I saw a proper standing ovation was at the last night of Evita, and it's an entirely different experience from the usual grumbling-to-their-feet that characterises most so-called standing ovations

Late to the conversation, but timely nonetheless!  cool.gif

Lesson 333
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#759 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(cat123 @ Nov 11 2009, 08:26 PM) View Post
Going to the theatre in November, you expect coughing, but the woman behind me at Evita this afternoon picked 'Don't Cry Fopr Me Argentina' as the moment in which to have a coughing fit. Great timing!!!

Obviously the same person (or a close relative ) attended opening night in Wycombe and mannaged to repeat the performance during "You must love me"! Grrrrr!  angry.gif

Seb

#760 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

The lady at the RSC Twelfth Night last night who, whenever James Fleet was on stage as Sir Andrew Aguecheek, laughed incessantly....way longer than anyone else, until he left the scene.

And she ignored all the glares from those surrounding her.

And then in the post show Q&A she tried to monopolise it, but thankfully the chair ignored her after a while and went to other people for questions/comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users