#21 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostMoyra, on 06 March 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

I saw it on Saturday evening.  I can't fault the performances. However this is the most misogynistic play I have seen in years.

Spoiler

Mr LaBute, in the same kind of language you use in your play, please give me a 'f.....g' break.

LaBute is always being accused of misogyny, as if he himself is speaking through his very negatively characterized male characters.  I take his work to be an attack on misogygy.  And this play is another example of that.

You take Bobby at face value when you speak of his high moral values.  That's his justification for himself.  But behind his words we very clearly see what he really is.  He defends himself against the charge of wife-beating yet the first time he and his sister argue he nearly punches her in the face.  THAT'S who he is, never mind what he says.  I don't wnat to give the plot away here so I can't really speak of his true feelings and attitudes to his sister but clearly he has a far different agenda than the one he proclaims.

This is typical of LaBute characters and it's one reason his plays work and actors like to take them on.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#22 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

View Postxanderl, on 06 March 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

Glad I saw it before reading Moyra's post which gives away most of the plot!

I'm seeing it next week and feel I don't really need to now. Could people have some consideration for those who haven't actually seen this play yet (which would be all of us given that it's a world premiere). Perhaps the mods could do some spoilerfication?

#23 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

I've read the thread and it doesn't spoil it for me. Spoilers are like in Deathwatch if you get told the ending..I don't think there is anything here that won't be in the media reviews. If you don't want to know anything about a play before you go, then that's up to you to avoid all contact. :)

If any of the other mods think I am wrong, please go ahead and delete etc.

#24 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

View PostLynette, on 07 March 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

I've read the thread and it doesn't spoil it for me. Spoilers are like in Deathwatch if you get told the ending..I don't think there is anything here that won't be in the media reviews. If you don't want to know anything about a play before you go, then that's up to you to avoid all contact. :)

If any of the other mods think I am wrong, please go ahead and delete etc.

Have you seen it then? I'll report back after I've been  (while it's still in preview) as to how much of the plot has been given away - since it's only a one-acter, quite a lot I would assume.

So is anything other than a twist ending fair game then? And why does this even apply to twist endings if we're meant to avoid all media contact before we see a show?

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

I'm going on Saturday as it happens and haven't read anything to spoil it for me. Mind you, I had a grandmother who would tell you the ends of all the films before you saw them so perhaps I am immune!

Obviously revealing twists in the plot would spoil it for people. But think about it: would knowing that Hamlet dies at the end ruin it for you? It is the responsibility of the writer to keep you there. What actually annoys me is when the critics give away something that the director has put in or just blatantly give away crisis points. We all remember that idiot critic who gave away the beginning of that play [ the name escapes me and maybe that is for the good]  where the guy shoots himself right at the start.....no more, no more might spoil it.

#26 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

Actually it sounds from the lengthy plot summaries given that quite a few crisis points have been given away but I'll know next week.

The amusing thing about the critic (who I can reveal was Charles Spencer)  who revealed the shooting business was that he'd arrived late for that particular performance and missed it so he decided to decribe how shocking the audience had found it on previous occasions when he'd seen the play  :lol:

As for Hamlet - reviewers were all quite careful about spoilers for the David Tennant version. After all, everyone sees it for the first time once. I did see an online row about someone revealing that Clint Eastwood dies at the end of one of his recently films which apparently ruined someone's anticipated enjoyment. So I would urge posters to be cautious about spoilers - you didn't know the plot of the La Bute play before you went in, why not let others make the same discoveries, even if you are studying modern American drama for A-level and want to practice your critical skills  ;)

#27 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 07 March 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

Actually it sounds from the lengthy plot summaries given that quite a few crisis points have been given away but I'll know next week.

The amusing thing about the critic (who I can reveal was Charles Spencer)  who revealed the shooting business was that he'd arrived late for that particular performance and missed it so he decided to decribe how shocking the audience had found it on previous occasions when he'd seen the play  :lol:

As for Hamlet - reviewers were all quite careful about spoilers for the David Tennant version. After all, everyone sees it for the first time once. I did see an online row about someone revealing that Clint Eastwood dies at the end of one of his recently films which apparently ruined someone's anticipated enjoyment. So I would urge posters to be cautious about spoilers - you didn't know the plot of the La Bute play before you went in, why not let others make the same discoveries, even if you are studying modern American drama for A-level and want to practice your critical skills  ;)

As one of the accused let me say that NOTHING of the plot has been given away.  Nothing.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#28 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yes it has
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#29 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Enough. :)

#30 Guest_Laura_*

Guest_Laura_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

I saw it on Sat mat.  Without giving away much, although I think nobody here has, I must say that I have to agree that it's extremely offensive and degrading towards women.  Apart from that, it's just an ok play with fine performances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users