12 replies to this topic

#11 canmark

canmark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

The Boys in the Photograph is scheduled to play in Toronto in June/July 2009 (Canon Theatre), following the touring productions of Spring Awakening and The Color Purple.
http://www.mirvish.com/theatreseason/boys.html

#12 Chris2

Chris2

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

I'm one  of those who gave The Beautiful Game a wide berth because I thought it was about football. I've no idea how I got that impression.

#13 canmark

canmark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

Some casting info on the North American production of The Beautiful Game. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/120410.html

MTC bills The Boys in the Photograph as "a coming-of-age story about a group of young men and women in Belfast in the late 1960s who are involved with a local soccer team at the start of a 30-year civil war. Some are drawn into the conflict, while others stand aside wanting only to be allowed to live and love in peace. It is a story of ordinary people in an extraordinary situation, told with humor and compassion in a powerful and passionate musical. Both funny and heartbreaking, The Boys in the Photograph pulls no punches when exploring the reality of sectarian conflict, but is nonetheless a joyous celebration of the freedom that love can bring."

(Jeff) Madden will play John Kelly, a local football star, coming of age in the time of political upheaval and the Belfast "struggles." He wants to be a soccer star, and falls for a girl, tries to support his wife and kid, and do the right thing while some of his friends get caught up in the struggles. (Erica) Peck plays the girlfriend, eventual wife, and finally moral compass of her husband. (Richard) McMillan plays the coach of the soccer team, who is the minister of the local church.

McMillan was Scar in The Lion King in Toronto; Madden recently appeared in the Shaw Festival's Wonderful Town and A Little Night Music and has a solo CD called "Taking the Wheel"; Erica Peck stars as Scaramouche in Toronto's We Will Rock You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users