• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#11 heatherr

heatherr

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

I saw the first performance last Friday, and I was thoroughly impressed. I thought it was an interesting story, and the cast were fantastic. They were all brilliant, I couldn't fault them. I particularly enjoyed Laura Michelle Kelly's performance, she definitely surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed every moment, from the very beginning to the end.

#12 Guest_Quentin_*

Guest_Quentin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

I thought Laura Michelle Kelly was utterly out of her depth. Bland, unappealing and overshadowed by her two wonderfully charismatic co-stars. The play is great but sags badly in Act 2 when Kelly has to drive it. Her voice is like the school teacher in "Snoopy" and I very soon switched off whenever she spoke.

#13 Guest_JR_*

Guest_JR_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(Quentin @ Feb 20 2008, 08:59 PM) View Post
I thought Laura Michelle Kelly was utterly out of her depth. Bland, unappealing and overshadowed by her two wonderfully charismatic co-stars. The play is great but sags badly in Act 2 when Kelly has to drive it. Her voice is like the school teacher in "Snoopy" and I very soon switched off whenever she spoke.

I'm with you on this one, Quentin.  She was so boring that she should be marketed as a cure for insomnia.

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

The show on Wed 12 March has been pulled "due to conflicting schedules of the artists".
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Spacey has a film premiere in Las Vegas to go to on 12 March, apparently.

#16 Guest_Guest_MrsDoyle_*_*

Guest_Guest_MrsDoyle_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

Saw this last night. It's like watching a verbal squash game and very funny. Spacey is just incredible, at one point picking up a TV to hurl at Goldblum who is lying on the floor. He is incandescent with rage, he turns red and shakes, the guy is terrific as is Goldblum who appears to be about seven foot tall and ultra slim in a very smart suit. .

Sadly, I thought Karen's part was rather underwritten (maybe Mamet doesn't do women well) and so the middle act lacked the drama of the first and third act. The audience went wild and there were several curtain calls. The two guys must be exhausted every night.

#17 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Feb 22 2008, 02:41 PM) View Post
Spacey has a film premiere in Las Vegas to go to on 12 March, apparently.

Do they not have understudies? Or is part of the point of the production that Hollywood stars are poking fun at themselves?

#18 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(David @ Feb 24 2008, 05:49 PM) View Post
Do they not have understudies? Or is part of the point of the production that Hollywood stars are poking fun at themselves?

Well I'm pleased if they do pull the performance for a day if they know about it in advance, rather that than fork out 45 and get an understudy.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

I thought the girl was good actually. But no, Mamet not so good writing for women so she was doing ok with what she has to work with. Great little play. A love story actually! Discuss. No really, the two men together through thick and then, along comes the new idea; the one then has to fight for his life and the relationship..not a gay relationship tho that would be interesting of course. Spacey mesmeric on stage.

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

"the two men together through thick and then"

But only because they want to make money, surely. I got the impression one would cheerfully dump the other if he thought he could make more money by doing so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users