- - - - -

[Title Of Show] Is Coming To The West End!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

May have just squealed a little when I read this -

http://broadwayworld...n_2011_20101206

The show is incredible! Really hope it comes off.

#2 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Forgive my cynicism, but I've heard of shows that would "definitely be transferring from Broadway to the West End!" before, and I'm going to reserve my belief in this new article at least until ticket booking opens.

I do consider myself a [tos]ser though. My cynicism is less about the show and more about the West End.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#3 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Oh I know what you mean. Xanadu and Gypsy opened this year.... Yeah right!

So many shows are announced and then never come off, but I am such a huge fan of this show that I really hope it comes off.

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

A 16 year old producer- blimey.
Know nothing about the show, but always nice to see a new original  musical in London. Wonder which theatre....

#5 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

Would love, love, love to see this in the West End but I can see it going the same way as Hair/Spring Awakening, and that would be sad.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#6 Guest_Mike T_*

Guest_Mike T_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for highlighting.  Looked at a few songs from it on Youtube.  Leicester Square Theatre maybe?  It's got that typical  - dare i say generic - off-broadway music style.  How long is the show?  It looks like it could be a pleasant fringey hour and twenty with no interval.  Any more and that style could pall, particularly on a British audience.  It seems like one for people who wish they lived in The Village (and I don't mean the bar at the end of Old Compton Street!..Then again)

#7 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

The show is 90 minutes without interval, it is very off-broadway sort of style. It's a really great show.

New Players would be good too, although along with the Leicester square theatre are not usually classed as "West End" as such. Trafalgar Studios or the Duchess after Love Story? Wherever it goes, it needs to be small!

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:32 AM

It does need to be small. But if theyre doing it with all the Broadway gang, they're assumedly going to want to open bigger than that.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

View PostGuest, on 07 December 2010 - 06:32 AM, said:

It does need to be small. But if theyre doing it with all the Broadway gang, they're assumedly going to want to open bigger than that.

I don't think that follows.  The production that ended up on Broadway built momentum across four years.  The original cast have performed it off-Broadway and off-off-Broadway and would likely do so again if it means building the show in another country where their work isn't known outside a few aficionados.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

View PostGuest, on 07 December 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

I don't think that follows.  The production that ended up on Broadway built momentum across four years.  The original cast have performed it off-Broadway and off-off-Broadway and would likely do so again if it means building the show in another country where their work isn't known outside a few aficionados.

I mean with the added cost of transferring them all. I think (well, hope) that it will come over as a fixed length season of 12 to 18 weeks or something... really the only sensible way to do it.

This has also now appeared on Playbill and WOS Gossip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users