20 replies to this topic

#1 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Has anyone seen this musical? I went tonight to this little Riverside Studio which stands in the middle of a housing estate in Hammersimith.  And I could not believe how good it was.  

Actors sing (without microphone), dance (a lot) and make us laugh (all the time).  I was grinning from start to end and I don't think  I was the only one.  Actors seemed to be having a good time doing it as well.  

I don't know how often one can come across such an enjoyable show in a year.  It's up there with Priscilla and La Cage, in terms of enjoymemet factor, but in a totally different taste of course.

If you can travel to Hammersmith, do go to see this show.  Tickets are not very expensive as this is a very small theatre.  You will come out there smiling and feeling warm.

#2 Guest_Schuttep_*

Guest_Schuttep_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

View PostSHk, on 17 December 2010 - 11:55 PM, said:

Has anyone seen this musical?
I've seen two previous productions of this musical - the latest at the Greenwich Theatre a couple of years ago.

I was due to see this version on 18 December but snow stopped play (actually it stopped me getting to it). Thankfully, those lovely people at the Riverside Studios BO allowed me to exchange for 28 December, so I'm still going!

It is, of course, a silly book but it's done with such charm it's infectious. And I love the song "We Said We Wouldn't Look Back" which, together with the hook of "Look at me, oh, look at me, oh, look at me, I'm dancing" I can't get out of my head!

I totally agree this is a show that makes you S-M-I-L-E, and you can't get too much of that in these straightened times!

#3 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

It is, of course, a silly book but it's done with such charm it's infectious. And I love the song "We Said We Wouldn't Look Back" which, together with the hook of "Look at me, oh, look at me, oh, look at me, I'm dancing" I can't get out of my head!

Hahaha, now thanks to this, I have it stuck in my head again, its been there on and off since I saw the show, which incidentally, I adored, Sam Harrison is fantastic as Tim x
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#4 Guest_Donna_*

Guest_Donna_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

I saw Salad Days last night after reading the Telegraph review that said it was the best musical in town.
I've never seen an audience look so happy.
It's done in traverse so the actors dance past you singing and unmiced, I might add!

The cast has not one weak point. Except for the young leads, Tim (Sam Harrison, ex Ave Q) and Katie Moore, both perfect, all the actors play a multiple of roles.
Hard to pick out anyone but WE veterans Tony Timberlake (Ex Thenardier) and Mark Inscoe (Mis ,Phantom) and Rebecca Caine, the original Cosette, last seen at the O2 concert, doing her first musical in years and looking gorgeous and Kathyn Martin stopping the show with her strange torch song.
Go! One of the best things I've seen this year,

#5 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

The reviews here are very positive but for me it's hard to shake off bad memories of a West End production some years ago (in a theatre on St Martin's Lane - anyone else recall seeing it?), to which my sister and I were dragged by our mother.  It was apparently a favourite musical of our parents from their courting days but my sister and I were left absolutely nonplussed as to any appeal and I think all three of us left disappointed.   I'd like to see it again if I'd receive a better impression but it really fell flat last time.

#6 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

I am intrigued by Salad Days which has had positive reviews in the Daily Telegraph and I think I saw one somewhere else. I am not one for musicals as a rule but did enjoy the Finborough's Juliet and Me revival so much a few months ago that I am tempted to try this.

Btw, the Riverside is just past a small council housing estate and faces a small row of shops and a nice-looking pub, while having mansion flats nearby on the way to the nearby Thames (Riverside, geddit?) and has eating and drinking facilities within. It's a five minute walk to Hammersmith tube.

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

I saw Salad Days this afternoon. It's a fantastic production, and it's great to see a show that isn't amplified to high heaven for a change. Sure, the book is wincingly daft in places, but that just adds to the fun. It's one of those rare productions where everything and everyone come together to make the very best of the material that can possibly be made, and it's one of only a handful of productions that have so impressed me that I've gone straight to the box office and bought another ticket before leaving. It's far and away the best show I've seen since Once Upon A Time At The Adelphi in Liverpool two and a half years ago.

The only thing that's bugging me about it is that I've known the show from childhood and I haven't the foggiest idea how.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostSHk, on 17 December 2010 - 11:55 PM, said:

Has anyone seen this musical?
Actors sing (without microphone), dance (a lot) and make us laugh (all the time).  I was grinning from start to end and I don't think  I was the only one.  Actors seemed to be having a good time doing it as well.  
I don't know how often one can come across such an enjoyable show in a year.  It's up there with Priscilla and La Cage, in terms of enjoymemet factor, but in a totally different taste of course.
If you can travel to Hammersmith, do go to see this show.  Tickets are not very expensive as this is a very small theatre.  You will come out there smiling and feeling warm.
I could not agree more.  Up there with La Cage and the all male Iolanthe!
It really is a show that does not put a foot wrong.  We saw it on Saturday afternoon (sitting at Cafe table A): my Aunty was invited to dance.  We went again on Sunday and sat in front row opposite the tables - this time I was invited to dance (which I did - gladly!)
It really is the most perfect show: catchy (short) songs which are beautifully sung.  The cast give their all; the dancing and acting is superb!  The diction perfect: 'Don't look beck'!
A real blast of bright sunshine in a bleak midwinter!
We have booked for a third time for Wednesday 2nd February (Cafe table C).
Look at me I'm dancing! (hopefully)

#9 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

Yes, I was invited to dance too!!  But only after the elderly lady next to me declined.  Even so, I was delighted to be able to join the show.  Pitty I was wearing my wellies as it was a snowy night.

I hope they will extend the run.

#10 Guest_barry fox_*

Guest_barry fox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I've only seen this version by U tube.  It looks marvellous and infectious.  The big question I have though is that the music seems to be Charleston and the dancing I see on U tube is 1950s Rock and Roll.  The thing is tremendous when characters dance the Charleston.

Don't forget Julian Slade wrote The Boyfriend too, and another similar one all about the Bristol Old Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users