#11 PaulT

PaulT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

View Postbarry fox, on 20 January 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

I've only seen this version by U tube.  It looks marvellous and infectious.  The big question I have though is that the music seems to be Charleston and the dancing I see on U tube is 1950s Rock and Roll.  The thing is tremendous when characters dance the Charleston.

Don't forget Julian Slade wrote The Boyfriend too, and another similar one all about the Bristol Old Vic
The dancing at this production is quite 'Charleston'.

‘Salad Days’ is set the 1950s and very much Noel Coward style of music.
It had passed me by completely… but now I am hooked.
‘The Boy Friend’ was written by Sandy Wilson by the way.
I know that you are way too young to remember but…
The Julian and Sandy characters on ‘Round the Horne’ (I have the complete series on CD and love it) were based on Julian Slade and Sandy Wilson.
I could bore for Europe!
Zzzzzz!

#12 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Yes, I thought the dancing bit I was invited to join in felt like Charleston, not that I know anything about dancing of this sort.

#13 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

I thought this was good fun. Loved it.

#14 Guest_Carrot Head_*

Guest_Carrot Head_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Salad Days has been sold out for a while now. Apparently they were offered an extension but too many of the cast were on to other things

However it does look like it will go on to have another life. There's a huge amount of interest in it.

#15 Guest_BobW_*

Guest_BobW_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

Saw the show on Saturday with a couple of my cousins who didn't know it. We all enjoyed it thoroughly and I received this email afterwards:

We did enjoy the theatre trip and were pleased to have been introduced to a different sort of live performance genre. The cast were great and the setting worked. Thanks again for organising our outing.

A brilliant production of a totally daft story with lots of catchy tunes and songs that buzz round your head for a long time afterwards. Pure entertainment.

#16 Local Songstress

Local Songstress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

I have seen Salad Days at The Riverside and loved it!

The setting is unusual, but works wonderfully in the small Studio, affording the whole of the audience a complete view of
ALL the action - much harder for the cast, I'm sure, but delightful to see!

The whole show is beautifully sung...unamplified, pitch perfect and as clear as a bell. The whole cast seems to slot together
as if they were born to create this Production together, and many of them take on and execute several roles, all believably and
effortlessly!

Salad Days is slightly silly, very British and, once you've seen it, totally unforgettable! I would be sad and very surprised if this
Production by Tete-A-Tete ended here..it fully deserves to go on to another life, and SOON!

I will be seeing Salad Days again on Thursday eveing and cannot wait!!

#17 Guest_Tilly_*

Guest_Tilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

I thought Salad Days was the best bit of theatre I had ever seen in my life!!! If I had the choice i'd see it day after day after day!! Would love to have a dvd which you could buy of the cast performing!! Would be AMAZING!! Or of a cd of the cast rather than the BOVTS original c.d... KATIE MOORE WAS THE BEST!!! LOVE U KATIE!!! xxxxxx  =)

#18 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Tried to see this show again before it closes tomorrow, but it was all sold out.  I was happy for them though, because this show deserves to be sold out.  But I was sorry for me.  

I hope it will come back soon.

#19 Local Songstress

Local Songstress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:15 AM

I saw Salad Days again this evening, and was lucky enough to get the chance to tell the Director, Bill Bankes-Jones,
how much I have enjoyed this Production! He said that everyone involved had been overwhelmed and delighted by the
success of the show, and that they are seriously looking into staging it elsewhere, so, fingers crossed!

#20 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

View PostLocal Songstress, on 06 February 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

I saw Salad Days again this evening, and was lucky enough to get the chance to tell the Director, Bill Bankes-Jones, how much I have enjoyed this Production! He said that everyone involved had been overwhelmed and delighted by the success of the show, and that they are seriously looking into staging it elsewhere, so, fingers crossed!
Here's hoping. So long as they don't try to take it to the West End, where I'm sure it would sink like a stone as it's not West End fare at all. And as long as they keep it unamplified.

I went back to see it a second time today and was astonished by how popular it had become. Six weeks ago the audience half-filled three rows each side; this afternoon the queue had almost reached the foyer half an hour before the performance.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users