10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:40 AM

So, hello WOSers.  Please come and see this new production of Twelfth Night starting next week, with Old Time Music Hall inspiration running right through it.

It's really well cast, and is absolutely enchanting and beguiling, with some beautiful new settings of O Mistress Mine and Come Away Death (the songs in the original script).  Very funny, and yet very moving and romantic.

It also happens to feature me, but don't let that put you off - I'm playing the trombone more than I'm acting.  And don't let that put you off, either - my new trombone mute finally arrived at the rehearsal venue this afternoon.

Starting on Tuesday the 21st at the Space, near Mudchute DLR, and continuing into January at Hoxton Hall and Middle Temple Hall.  Details at our website.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#2 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

First review out.  He liked the acting (and I'm really glad he singled out the people he did).  Not quite so keen on the design.

http://www.thestage....9/twelfth-night

"Great performances... engaging, amusing and remarkably fluid".

Happy Christmas, one and all.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

When will you be at Middle Temple?

#4 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

15-16 Jan according to their website, link in OP.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#5 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

Hello Lynette (and hello Suburbanite),

Yes, Saturday and Sunday 15th and 16th January.  Saturday at 2:30pm and 7:30pm, and Sunday at 5pm.

#6 Tracy D

Tracy D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I went to see this last night and  had an enjoyable evening, the cast was very good.  Worth going to see, it moves from the Space to Hoxton Hall next week which may be a slightly better layout as they were hard to see from the back  in some scenes at the Space.

#7 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

View PostMichael H, on 28 December 2010 - 01:19 AM, said:

Hello Lynette (and hello Suburbanite),

Yes, Saturday and Sunday 15th and 16th January.  Saturday at 2:30pm and 7:30pm, and Sunday at 5pm.
So sad I can't make it. Just back from a little hol and all booked up for next weekend, family stuff.
Hope it goes well.

#8 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for the kind words, Tracy, and thank you for the kind wishes, Lynette.

Edit: Been to Hoxton Hall for the first time today.  Wow, I think I've fallen in love with the venue.

#9 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

So, yes, it's all over now.  More or less recovered, although my small bag of dirty laundry hasn't moved since I got back from Middle Temple late on Sunday.

And I should mention now that it was my first professional Fringe acting, apart from a couple of bits when I was younger.  So I hope it wasn't too obvious that I've just made the first tentative step from the amateur world.

We had some lovely audience feedback, particularly about the Hoxton shows and Middle Temple Hall.  We had a cast member withdraw due to illness, and a very brave and really good eleventh hour replacement (who was word perfect very quickly - I didn't notice she wasn't reading from the script until halfway through my scene with her).  So, yes, loved the experience.

Very good Stage review.  Awful Time Out review - although there were rumours that the TO reviewer came the day after the Time Out Christmas office party.  I'm sure these rumours are completely unfounded, though.

But what an experience.

There was also a lovely blog entry from an audience member that very accurately recalls the staging (apart from swapping audience's left and right and stage left and right around - but I'm really pleased he enjoyed the show).

#10 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

View PostMichael H, on 21 January 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

There was also a lovely blog entry from an audience member that very accurately recalls the staging (apart from swapping audience's left and right and stage left and right around - but I'm really pleased he enjoyed the show).

Thanks for pointing out my left/right confusion! I've now corrected the post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users