41 replies to this topic

#21 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

If RUG was promoting it then surely ALW would have ensured good publicity also Connie had been booked into venue's like the NIA Academy in Birmingham which holds 5,000. To put that in context Liza Minelli - an icon who hasn't toured for around a decade before you even consider her long term fans, pink pound following etc and John Barrowman a major West End star and now starring in a high profile TV show are both only playing Birmingham Symphony Hall which holds around 1,900. So Connie's promoters may have been over ambitious, John Barrowman stated in an interview regarding his tour that the promoter had given him guarantees (i.e I asume an agreed fee) and thus it was up to the promoter to take the loss if the tickets didn't sell. I think John's words were I'llturn up and perform on the date however many tickets are sold - his Birmighmam concert is a sellout by the way.

#22 dazzle

dazzle

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(hitster @ Feb 19 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post
If RUG was promoting it then surely ALW would have ensured good publicity also Connie had been booked into venue's like the NIA Academy in Birmingham which holds 5,000. To put that in context Liza Minelli - an icon who hasn't toured for around a decade before you even consider her long term fans, pink pound following etc and John Barrowman a major West End star and now starring in a high profile TV show are both only playing Birmingham Symphony Hall which holds around 1,900. So Connie's promoters may have been over ambitious, John Barrowman stated in an interview regarding his tour that the promoter had given him guarantees (i.e I asume an agreed fee) and thus it was up to the promoter to take the loss if the tickets didn't sell. I think John's words were I'llturn up and perform on the date however many tickets are sold - his Birmighmam concert is a sellout by the way.

Well ALW obviously did not do that.No press promotion in the weekend tabloid press where you  would usually see concert promotions.He has  misjudged it this time.Other high profile stars advertise so they obviously feel there is a need to do that.The audiences going to West End shows have changed and they are not reading broadsheets(thats if any promotions were done in them)

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:32 AM

I have no interest in seeing her, that is not a statement about her talent, I just have no interest in seeing her. It looks like I'm in the majority, not the minority, poor ticket sales does not always come down to promotion in the press, but a ground-swell buzz about a show (like Chess in May) besides, she plugged it enough over christmas etc when she was all over morning TV. And I remember thinking then, I have no interest in seeing her . . .

#24 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

So you have no interest in seeing her.  That's your right, but that's not the point.  The point is that there are many people I know of who *were* interested in seeing her but did not get the chance because they did not know that there was a tour, and then the producers pulled out with months to go before the first concert and without trying any promotional incentives like discounts and whatever.  It doesn't seem like it was given much of a chance to sell anything before the producers pulled the plug.

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Why should the promoters be to blame?  

I have actually seen a few adverts for this tour but like a previous poster was not interested.  It could be that some people would have bought tickets if they had known there was a tour booked, but 'some' people isn't enough to fill a venue.

TV viewers may have voted for her as the best Maria and flocked to see The Sound of Music but that doesn't mean that they had any particular interest in Connie herself.

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

I thought that was the point? Not enough people like me who were not interested. I think they pulled the plug 'early' letting down a few people who had bought tickets, otherwise they would have had to let down 'a few more' people nearer the time, no matter what advertisement they did, she would not have got enough interets outside her small supportive fan base to make it financially viable - this proved it, and also the venues now have a chance to book an event that can sell the tickets. Either she should have done smaller venues (as previously and correctly suggested) or she should get away from ALW and RUG and go and audition to get a west end part, get some respect from her peers, and stay in the one part of the UK she can guarentee an audience, through the pull of the show[b]. She is not enough of a 'name' to do what she tried, she was badly advised, and now is trying to save face when the rest of showbiz are falling about laughing, its cruel but that is the way it is and no, none of it is her fault - I do wish her luck in the future, and if she is in the 'right' show for me (not her own caberet show) I would go and see her.

#27 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

It sounds like a bit of a joke to put Ms Fisher in the same category as Barbra Streisand and Liza Minnelli. She is not even on the same planet.

#28 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

A Birmingham local newspaper article (dated Feb19) says the tour "has been postponed":
with a clash of recording and filming commitments blamed. Connie’s publicist Gemma Feeney said the tour would be rescheduled.

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(Biddy @ Feb 21 2008, 04:08 PM) View Post
A Birmingham local newspaper article (dated Feb19) says the tour "has been postponed":

No, that's the official spin.

The Daily Mail Reports

Connie Fisher concerts axed due to poor ticket sales. At the 4,500-seater Cardiff International Arena just 200 tickets were sold in one month. "They just weren't selling very well. I'm refunding the tickets as I speak," a box office person told me.

The Daily Express

IN the notoriously bitchy world of theatre, it’s not unheard of for one performer to take delight in another’s misfortune – and stars who rise faster than the rest make for obvious targets. Regardless of the official line, rumours are rife that poor ticket sales put paid to them both.

All the major newspapers including the Red Tops have reported it as poor ticket sales

#30 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

"with a clash of recording and filming commitments blamed. Connie’s publicist Gemma Feeney said the tour would be rescheduled".

Can you imagine if this was true? Connie's publicity machine has just announced that 'sorry . . . but Connie has something else better to do instead of coming to sing for you as promised.' Particularly when this tour was organised so far in advance that 'having a clash of commitments' is a joke.

Connie, good luck in the future, stop listening to RUG and get yourself out into the traditional casting process as soon as possible. I am looking forward to seeing you on TV in the 'Elvis' thing and I am sorry your concert was cancelled because of poor ticket sales. But better to face reality now, then be strung along any longer by ALW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users