11 replies to this topic

#1 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi there, I couldn't find a topic about this (though I very much presume there already is one) and I needed to ask a question so I hope you all don't mind me starting one!

Would you all be as kind as to tell me what your thought on the Balcony of The Wyndhams Theatre is like? I have just booked tickets to see Bill Bailey and the only seats in my price range were on Row B of the Balcony (at 29.25, it's still phenomenally extortionate). This is a one-man comedy show and not a full blown musical (of which I usually prefer, but I like me a bit of comedy :P), so bearing this all in mind, what are the views like? Legroom? Can you see the people on stage for what it's worth? And anything else you'd like to add? I know it will all be fine in the end and I'll have a great night out....and of course I can't do anything about it now!....but it's still nice to know :)

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Danny
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

The view's not bad for a balcony. It's not a seperate balcony as such- just the back part of the upper circle.
You can see the whole stage (as long as it isn't extended), and you don't feel too far away- one of the better balconies in London I think. I do think 29.95 is very expensive though, especially as it's a one man comedy show.

#3 Guest_hamish_*

Guest_hamish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

I normally check out the seating guides on theatremonkey - http://theatremonkey...Sbooking.htm#Th

Looks like you should be OK judging by the comments there. Have fun!

#4 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

I saw Bill Bailey there earlier this month from row C of the balcony (17.50) and the view was fine. It did feel a long way away and once or twice I had to lean a little to see around the heads of people in front of me but since there were no seats behind me that wasn't a problem. For a stand-up comedian it doesn't matter being that far away but I would definitely think twice about paying 29.50 to see a play there. Not as bad as a lot of bottom-price West End tickets, though, I can assure you!

Really enjoyed the show, by the way - the bit right at the end of the first half (about self-service checkouts) actually made me cry with laughter, which was a bit embarrassing when the lights came up and I had tears streaming down my face. ;)

#5 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

The Wyndham's is nice and wee, one of my favourite balconies. But as with others, visibility does seem to decrease somewhat toward the edges.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#6 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I do remember it being very, very wee - as you put it Weez! I was on the front row for the last Q matinee, so now I'm at the other extreme! haha

Luckily I'm quite central (12 & 13 if I remember correctly) so the edges shouldn't be too much of a problem. I checked theatremonkey and that was very helpful too! I do love Bill Bailey, so I didn't mind paying as much as I did, but I would definitely think twice if It was a play or musical. I am a little disgusted though, I know it's theatre prices (well, over-priced theatre prices haha) but take Lee Evans for example - every single seat at Wembley Arena or The 02 Arena is sold for just 33, but I should think that a lot goes into prices at different places that I certainly don't understand or can't work out....so I won't judge haha.

And thank you Marius Pontmercy by the way (LOVE THE NAME!), very appreciative of the opinion since you were just a row behind! Really can't wait to see it - It'll be my first experience of comedy in a west end theatre. Such a shame that it rarely happens any more and we all have to trek out to Hammersmith, Wembley or North Greenwich....or other regional places on a tour!

I only booked tonight, and it closes on 8th Jan 2011, so most of the seats had sold out, with only single seats left and both my sister and I wanted to go, and preferred to sit together so it was kind of the only option that we had at all really - so we didn't mind just this once. Here's to hoping that he's funny! :P
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

I'm assuming you've seen it by now Musicalmadness. Was it good, and more importantly, how did you find the view? I've sat there once, but a cosniderable while ago, and I've just booked a balcony seat (still 30) for Much Ado. :)

#8 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Ah yes - indeed I have! I've been meaning to update but never found the time, so thank you for reminding me! First off, the show itself was utterly brilliant. His timing, his jokes, his stories, his music - just everything! A total genius, in every sense of the word. Also, a truly lovely man to meet at the Stage Door as well.

As for the seats, well I must say, my sister and myself sat down and the first things we said was, "Wow, What an absolutely amazing view!" and it really, really was. I don't know whether it was just because it was a one-man show and that the theatre is relatively small, but I seriously still felt part of the "action" as it were. The stage was filled with instruments, lighting and a screen at the back for his little short films and animations to go with his songs. I imagined seeing Avenue Q and the set and people and everything and what it would've been like from up there, and I say it would've still be perfect! There was not a single thing obstructing my view at all, and I was in Row B. Row C or D may have a little obstruction due to the ceiling being at a jaunty angle, but Row A and B will be completely fine, and Much Ado About Nothing should be excellent!

To sum it up, I actually felt paying 30 for the view we got was a bargain! I dare say that I even felt sorry for the people who had paid 50/60 to sit in the stalls/dress circle when I paid half for a view that was no less than what I would've got from sitting in the stalls. We were just higher up! But I will say, it is a looooong walk up to the Balcony and is quite high. After all the stairs had finished and we entered I thought we'd walked half way across London and into another theatre! (A slight exaggeration....maybe... ;) ) But, as I quote from theatremonkey, it definitely is nowhere near a case where you feel you'll need an oxygen mask!

So yes, those are my thoughts! Maybe I'm easy pleased or haven't experienced enough Balconies, but not a single thing faulted my night out! :)

#9 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 29 December 2010 - 07:37 PM, said:

I do think 29.95 is very expensive though, especially as it's a one man comedy show.

Not as bad as the 100+ seats for Jerry Seinfeld anywhere at the O2 Arena, as if he isn't rich enough already. :o
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Good to hear musicalmadness! I'm row D (row A and B are nearly 45), but by what you say it should still be ok. Looking forward to seeing it, and thanks again for your feedback :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users