677 replies to this topic

#1 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Rumoured to be co-directed (?!) by Mark Rylance, pre Broadway Jerusalem.

Beatrice: Catherine Tate
Benedick: David Tennant

Running: May - September (once Clybourne Park run ends)

Hoorah!

Thoughts/comments, fire away:

#2 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

To coincide with the Globe production! I guess no one believes in staggering these things anymore. ;)

This actually sounds so awesome that it's either complete wishful thinking on someone's part, or it's going to be endlessly disappointing. Or, of course, it really will happen and it really will live up to how awesome it sounds. ;)

Where've you got the info from anyway?
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#3 bookworm68

bookworm68

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Completely agree with Weez- it sounds far too good to be true. The casting is spot on as Tate and Tennant have absolutely brilliant chemistry.

Please, please, please let this be true and confirmed soon!

#4 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

Catherine Tate has said in an interview that she is doing another play after Season's Greetings ends, and Tennant, in another recent interview, was saying that he wants to do theatre soon (and having heard a lot of his interviews, he never talks future projects, even in this vague way, unless there is something concrete).

#5 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

One of my very favourite plays and what a team! Please let this be true!

#6 Cathryn

Cathryn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Fringe, drama, Shakespeare, green politics

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostPoly, on 02 January 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Catherine Tate has said in an interview that she is doing another play after Season's Greetings ends, and Tennant, in another recent interview, was saying that he wants to do theatre soon (and having heard a lot of his interviews, he never talks future projects, even in this vague way, unless there is something concrete).

ooohh  ooohhh  very very excited!!!

Tennant has mentioned before that he'd like to do Benedick (I think at the after-show panel after Love's Labour's Lost that I saw when he was doing that)

#7 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'M A TEMP! FROM SICILY!!

#8 Guest_Annakabana_*

Guest_Annakabana_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Words can't describe how desperately I wan this to be true!!!

Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson's Beatrice and Benedick is the definition of chemistry, but I seriously think Tennant and Tate could rival that.

*Crosses fingers madly*

#9 Guest_Angela_*

Guest_Angela_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

[quote name='Annakabana' timestamp='1293993390' post='159187']
Words can't describe how desperately I wan this to be true!!! /quote

I second that to the thousandth degree!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE let this happen!!!

#10 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

On the other hand, commercial Shakespeare in the West End is box-office poison and artistically unlikely to be much cop.  If Tennant wanted to do any given Shakespeare role, the RSC or the NT or the Donmar or even the Old Vic would clear their diary and find him a top-class director or his choice, with a strong cast and decent voice and movement work.  So quite why he'd want to mess around with a director-for-hire in a barely-suitable venue where he'd be expected to do eight shows a week in front of an audience of tourists and Doctor Who fans (of whom, it's worth pointing, a lot are now thinking "Mmm, that Matt Smith is OK, David who?") is something of a mystery.  And if Catherine Tate, who does not unless I'm mis-remembering have any significant stage experience, never mind Shakespearean stage experience, wants to write her career in the area off at the first time of asking, an under-rehearsed production with limited supporting people is a bloody good way to do it.   I can see why people might want it to be true, and I can even see why Tennant might be prepared to give it a go, but hubris goes before a fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users