#11 Cathryn

Cathryn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Fringe, drama, Shakespeare, green politics

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Well, Twelfth Night did quite well at Wyndhams a couple of years ago, albeit under the auspices of the Donmar, and with Derek Jacobi, so I wouldn't bet on it being a flop.  Wikipedia tells me Catherine Tate spent a year with the RSC in 2000.

I saw her on stage in Under the Blue Sky in 2009, and she was remarkably good.  I'd say the two of them make a strong cast, and while Mark Rylance may be a 'director for hire' he's certainly got the Shakespeare experience needed.

Now, don't be a spoilsport, let us enjoy our wee fantasies!!!

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

Golly..just seen this. Confirmed? If so, then v excited.

#13 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

I am intrigued by the co-directing bit. Any ideas what's that about?

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

View Postigb, on 02 January 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

On the other hand, commercial Shakespeare in the West End is box-office poison and artistically unlikely to be much cop.  If Tennant wanted to do any given Shakespeare role, the RSC or the NT or the Donmar or even the Old Vic would clear their diary and find him a top-class director or his choice, with a strong cast and decent voice and movement work.  So quite why he'd want to mess around with a director-for-hire in a barely-suitable venue where he'd be expected to do eight shows a week in front of an audience of tourists and Doctor Who fans (of whom, it's worth pointing, a lot are now thinking "Mmm, that Matt Smith is OK, David who?") is something of a mystery.  And if Catherine Tate, who does not unless I'm mis-remembering have any significant stage experience, never mind Shakespearean stage experience, wants to write her career in the area off at the first time of asking, an under-rehearsed production with limited supporting people is a bloody good way to do it.   I can see why people might want it to be true, and I can even see why Tennant might be prepared to give it a go, but hubris goes before a fall.

This would be the Catherine Tate who is currently playing a leading role at the NT and who has also played leading roles for the RSC? If this show actually happens, I will remember this post when people are whinging about having difficulty getting tickets  ;)

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'm glad it's the Wyndham's as the cheap seats there aren't too bad! ;)

I suspect that its David Pugh and Daffyd Rogers who are producing, as they have a record of getting star names and generally putting on good quality commerical plays. I too am excited about this, though I do hope that just because of the cast, the quality of the audience doesn't diminish.

Armadillo, yes it is that Catherine Tate, who was excellent when I saw her in Season's Greetings.

igb: I don't think audiences will have forgotten David Tennant. He's quite a big name even now when he's no longer the Doctor. He's done quite a bit of TV since then, and avid Shakespeare fans will remember him as a very good Hamlet.

#16 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Not sure the dates work out for Rylance to be involved - La Bete closes on 9th Jan, Jerusalem opens on 2nd April, running to 24th July.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

This, though slightly out of date, may be of interest.

http://www.telegraph...e-West-End.html

Around 21-22 paragraphs down. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to quote on here (?)

:)

#18 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Having never seen either of them on TV I'm entirely uninterested by this news.

#19 Guest_martin93_*

Guest_martin93_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

In two minds about this. Benedict is a role Tennant is well suied for but surely as one poster has said wouldnt the NT or more likely RSC have cleared the decks for him? Tate doesnt have much stage experience and whilst she was at the RSC it was a while back and she was not in  any leading roles. I would have thought she would be better in Shrew. Also if this is happening in the first half of this year I think we would know something officially by now. I am not holding my breath...but will go to see it if it does come off!

#20 Cathryn

Cathryn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Fringe, drama, Shakespeare, green politics

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

View PostJan Brock, on 03 January 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

Having never seen either of them on TV I'm entirely uninterested by this news.

What Jan, you have to see them on the telly before you'd be interested?? :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users