6 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

We are trying our best to sort out this spamming nonesense. I am onto the developers of the software to get their advice on how best to do it. Please bear with us.

David

#2 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'm confused.  If you can post and you can delete my topic on dummy posting (which is fine) why can't you delete 'britney spears vagina pictures' etc?  I trust that you also realise that the Normad problem is additional to (and for many more offensive than) the spam?

http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.php?showtopic=192 Post 8 onwards is just one example.

#3 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

Excellent that youíre sorting this out, but in addition to the spam (which would probably be less of a problem if registration was required for posting) there are the abuse problems that Skylight mentioned and this will probably not go away even with mandatory registration. I think we all understand that you at WOS donít have unlimited time to police this board, but when are you going to appoint some user moderators who could then start to tackle this issue? For I assume thatís still the plan?

//Jenny

http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#4 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

The way that EVERY OTHER FORUM ON THE INTERNET deals with Spam is by appointing volunteer moderators who have the power to remove posts, or move them to a hidden forum for the admins to delete.

The rest of us have been doing this for years, but I understand WOS is on a voyage of discovery with forums like this.  I just hope that mods are appointed soon.
###Belle###

#5 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

Another thing to bear in mind is that replying to spam postings helps the spammers by pushing the post to the top of the messageboard thereby making it more prominent. The simplest thing to do is ignore them and contribute to genuine posts and the spam will drop down the list of posts.

#6 Guest_Toddster_*

Guest_Toddster_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

God, please fix this spamming thing. I am not posting at the moment, unil you do.

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Toddster @ Feb 26 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post
I am not posting at the moment

FX: Matthew's brain explodes in an attempt to resolve the logical contradiction.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users