24 replies to this topic

#11 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

smile.gif  Thanks for the positive comments. After all that typing it's nice to know that people are actually reading it.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#12 siobhan

siobhan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

I am very much a theatregoer who will see a show, go again and again and again til i'm sick of it and move on to another show.
I get heartbroken when a show gets overlooked and/or closes prematurely. You will not get it back the same so get in as many visits as you can, one day it will all be a memory.
Don't dream it..be it!

#13 Belle

Belle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, costumes, shiny things

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

Maybe I'm not adventurous enough, but if there's a show I enjoy, I'll see it again, because I enjoy it!  I equate it to eating out - some people will only eat the one dish at a restaurant because they know it's safe - some people will try to sample every dish on the menu, others waver somewhere between the two.  I know the sort of things I like, but will sample other "dishes" on occasion.  But if there's an absolutely delicious speciality, it can be hard to resist!

Add in how theatre can provide pure escapism for an evening, and sometimes when there's issues in real life you can need that escapism, plus some great discounts if you know where to look...

Plus I totally agree about how live theatre is a fleeting moment, you can never re-capture the experience so once it's gone it's gone.

I've seen Starlight Express 200 times - standing tickets, back in the day!  WWRY about 60 times, again, standing... Cats, 20 ish, Wicked's at 10 at the moment...  Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens was one of those where the knowledge it was a limited run made me even more keen to see it as often as possible, at 12 times.
###Belle###

#14 rainbow84uk

rainbow84uk

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

What a beautifully-written post, Matthew! Thanks for writing exactly what I thought, but could never express so eloquently!

I can't really add anything to better it, so I'll just say that I agree wholeheartedly with all you have to say. On one hand, I had to sit through the dreadful Kenwright production of Joseph far too often to support a friend and it really did feel like a feat of endurance at times, but on the other hand, I've been to see Billy Elliot 16 times in a year, and each show has been different, unique and very, very special!

I think I've seen every show that I really loved at least twice - I just can't help going back! But that doesn't mean that I don't also try seeing new shows all the time too...

Lauren x

#15 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:16 AM

Well i did start this post and have enjoyed reading the responses - especially Matthew Winns - a very eloquent response which I can empathise with. However, I am staggered that someone (Belle) has seen Starlight express 200 times!! and WWRY 60!! this to me is ridiculous bordering on the obsessional! The producers of Wicked must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of all this repeat custom!!!

My further comment to this is that I have so much enjoyed seeing the original casts in shows - Michael Crawford/Sarah Brightman in Phantom, Colm Wilkinson/Michael Ball in Les Mis, Patti LuPone in Sunset, Nathan Lane/Lee Evans in the Producers - I could go on - and these evenings in the theatre were so special I have hesitated to go back and see replacement casts that generally ( not all the time ) are inferior to the original, at the same cost!! For example I saw Elaine Paige in Evita and went back years later and saw Marti Webb and was appalled - it was barely the same show!!

So although I take the point of comparing performances and relishing a great show while it lasts - once is very often enough for me even though I had a great evening I would rather leave it at that! PLUS how do you afford to see Starlight 200 times!!!! Even standing at the back at 10 pounds a seat that's 2000!!!!

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(wickedgrin @ Feb 27 2007, 01:16 AM) View Post
PLUS how do you afford to see Starlight 200 times!!!! Even standing at the back at 10 pounds a seat that's 2000!!!!

I've seen wwry 51 times so far,only one of them has been standing. hehe.

#17 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 27 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post
I've seen wwry 51 times so far,only one of them has been standing. hehe.

Sorry,that was me, I thought I had logged in.

#18 Edagar

Edagar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

You know what ... theatre is about a fleeting moment.  I've seen goodness knows how many shows in my short life so far, very few of them more than once, and each one is a pure fleeting memory.  I don't think you need to see a show 5+ times, as then you lose its transience.

I find it weird, frankly.

#19 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(Edagar @ Feb 27 2007, 03:31 PM) View Post
You know what ... theatre is about a fleeting moment.  I've seen goodness knows how many shows in my short life so far, very few of them more than once, and each one is a pure fleeting memory.  I don't think you need to see a show 5+ times, as then you lose its transience.

I see shows multiple times, but always see new stuff as well. On the whole I like to try and see Phantom and Les Miz every couple years, same with Mamma Mia as they are my 3 favourites.

Ive seen les Miz about 7 times, Phantom 4 or 5, Mamma Mia 3 times. Simple becasue they entertain me, move me, tell a damn good story and cheer me up.

Sometimes ill see a show that will blow me away but there is nothing in it that would make me go back (Billy elliot and The Producers being recent examples) as im worried second viewing wouldnt be the same.

I completely understand people wanting to see shows lots of times, after all its their money and if thats what they want to spend their cash on then fair play. It is no different to watching a film over and over, just more expensive! to these people paying the money to see this show is their luxury, same as some people dont think twice about spending 60 on alcohol on a night out.

#20 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Edagar @ Feb 27 2007, 03:31 PM) View Post

Also I disagree, yes some productions you do forget the details on, but some productions have stayed with me and have been more than a fleeting moment!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users