26 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

There's an obvious solution to the problem of multiple guest posting. However, since WOS/the mods refuse to make it, clearly we will continue to be inundated with annoying dross.

Can anyone point to a single piece of interesting gossip posted by a guest? This has been given as a reason for continuing to allow their posts. I certainly don't know of any other forums that allow guest-posting and I can't really fathom why WOS is so determined to allow it since it brings no advantages at all.

And yes, I have long argued for a better organised board, with one thread per show - surely this is a step forward. As Laughingmonsta says, it shouldn't be difficult to merge other duplicate threads into one (as happens on other- dare I say it?- better organised messageboards)

#12 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Laughingmonsta @ Mar 14 2008, 12:22 AM) View Post
I doubt this is a WOS decision, more like by the defensive nature of his posts a Matthew Winn decision!

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 14 2008, 05:28 AM) View Post
There's an obvious solution to the problem of multiple guest posting. However, since WOS/the mods refuse to make it, clearly we will continue to be inundated with annoying dross.

Where do you people get the idea that moderators and administrators are the same thing?

Moderators can: Rename threads, move threads, merge threads, delete threads, edit or delete individual posts, issue warnings to posters, and ban posters.

Moderators cannot: Create subforums, delete subforums, delete users, set guest posting rights, enable or disable board functionality, see email addresses, alter user information, or perform any other low-level administration task.

It's easy to be critical when you can't be bothered to find out any facts first.

And yes, I have long argued for a better organised board, with one thread per show - surely this is a step forward.
One thread per show wouldn't work. Sometimes there are multiple threads discussing different aspects of the same show and merging them would just create confusion. Threads do get merged, but usually when a new thread has been started to discuss exactly the same thing as an existing thread. Saying that two or more parallel discussions should take place in the same thread simply because they're about the same show is ridiculous. As an example, should requests for information about Lord of the Rings merchandise be mixed up with comments about Galadriel, discussion about the safety of the set, and information about the show's closure? How would you find posts that interested you among all those discussing aspects of the show that you didn't care about? What do you do about threads that concern more than one show, such as the closure of LotR to make way for Oliver?

Can anyone point to a single piece of interesting gossip posted by a guest?

No.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#13 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

No need to be quite so defensive, Matthew. I know that you can't set guest posting privileges - I didn't say you could do that. But WOS people can do it but won't for reasons that remain mysterious. Should we all write separate posts addressing the two different groups. However I see absolutely no reason why one thread per show wouldn't work - I post on other forums which are far busier than this which work on that principle and which are much easier to follow. We often have 5 or 6  threads on a single show on the same page - is it really helpful that a thread on say Dirty Danicing is often just below a thread entitled Dirty Dancing - running time? It's not as if the threads are usually labelled so helpfully.

#14 Legend

Legend

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

Surely moderators should be able to move and edit topics. Shouldn't part of their job be to ensure the smooth running of the forum and to make sure things don't get too unorganised and messy?

I have always been perplexed as to why this place is not better organised. Hence you always get muliple threads on the same show within pixels of each other.

#15 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

At least having a whole sub forum dedicated to Oliver will make it much easier to ignore.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#16 Legend

Legend

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

You don't seriously think that people will stop posting threads about Oliver in the main musicals section do you?  huh.gif

#17 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 13 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post
This is quite clearly a paid for thread and way out of order. Its getting to something when a discussion board purposely tries to direct people to yet another unwanted casting show....anyone agree just add your name to the list!

I have to voice the same thinking...even the font colourings have been changed to make it STAND out...i think this is nasty and quite frankly vulgar, i know WOS is a business but surley the could have just bought a banner add - rather than having their own sub-forum as is ID DO ANYTHING was one of the biggest things in theatre!

What is the official word from WOS? i would certainly be interested in hearing what the head honchos have to say!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#18 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

Many thanks for all your comments so far.

The decision to create a seperate sub-category forum for "I'd Do Anything" was in anticipation of a high volume of discussion on the topic, of similar intensity to the discussion on the last reality TV outing with Joseph and "Any Dream Will Do". From experience and your thoughts from last time around, we felt that it would be helpful to you to have one central place for people who'd like to discuss the programme, and equally helpful to have it seperate for those who don't want to go near this type of talk (as some of your posts above have suggested) and therefore know not to click it.

Please be assured that this is NOT a "paid-for" category and that no part of this forum is or ever will be. It's for free discussion for theatre, and the reality TV issue is a biggie at the moment which I'm sure will come up in postings...and indeed, already has.

As a theatregoer's discussion board, we're always looking to improve things for our registered users so if there is something you like on another board that you use, feature-wise, let us know and we'll definitely take a look and see if we can introduce those ideas here!

#19 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(Whatsonstage.com @ Mar 14 2008, 10:20 AM) View Post
As a theatregoer's discussion board, we're always looking to improve things for our registered users so if there is something you like on another board that you use, feature-wise, let us know and we'll definitely take a look and see if we can introduce those ideas here!

Registered only postings!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#20 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 14 2008, 06:57 AM) View Post
No need to be quite so defensive, Matthew. I know that you can't set guest posting privileges - I didn't say you could do that.

You did say "There's an obvious solution to the problem of multiple guest posting. However, since WOS/the mods refuse to make it [...]", which kind of implies that the mods have some say in the matter. And Laughingmonsta said he thought it was likely the creation of the forum was my idea, which is arrant nonsense. I was replying to both of you at that point in my response.

But WOS people can do it but won't for reasons that remain mysterious.
Not all that mysterious. They've explained that they don't want to discourage people from posting gossip. OK, so you're about as likely to see valuable gossip from guests as you are to see the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, or a factually accurate article in the Daily Mail, but Whatsonstage own the site. Their playground. Their rules.

I think the Phantom of Manhattan thread made it clear that many people have a problem with the way guests behave and provided ample justification for that attitude. We just have to live with it until they get bored and give up.

However I see absolutely no reason why one thread per show wouldn't work - I post on other forums which are far busier than this which work on that principle and which are much easier to follow. We often have 5 or 6  threads on a single show on the same page - is it really helpful that a thread on say Dirty Danicing is often just below a thread entitled Dirty Dancing - running time? It's not as if the threads are usually labelled so helpfully.

Popular shows create much discussion, and most people aren't interested in everything about a show. I think it's better to have a couple of threads about unrelated aspects of the same show than to have two or more interleaved conversations in the same place. If I want to ask about the running time of Wicked should I have to wade through dozens of posts concerning which out of Idina Menzel or Kerry Ellis most deserves to be elevated to sainthood, while someone who may be able to answer my question is giving the thread a miss because of the worshipful fans?

It's not as if we're in the position we were in a couple of years ago, where the front page was permanently occupied by a dozen new threads about Michael Ball. (If anything we have the opposite problem: thread necromancy bringing back conversations that ended a year ago.) Now we have a dumping ground into which all the "X only got through because his fans cheated in the voting" rubbish can be shunted, which I see as a good thing.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users