Katie Rowley-jones From Wicked

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_ron e_*

Guest_ron e_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE(John Paul @ Mar 16 2008, 03:00 AM) View Post
Francesca Jackson was in the final 18 that performed last Monday evening at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East. So too, was Sarah Lark, another pro, who was in The Witches of Eastwick amongst other things. I believe both of them are through to the final 12 who will sing on TV each week.

How many other girls in there have performed in the West End?

what difference does that make? As long as the quality is there.

#22 Guest_Guest_Sarah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sarah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Jonny @ Mar 16 2008, 12:10 AM) View Post
Francesca Jackson auditioning for Denise Van Outen... hardly impartial is it... that's if DvO actually bothered to learn her Rent cast mates names...

Tell me about it... The show promises viewers a 'rags to riches' type story, where the winner comes from a non-musical background but has huge talent. But as far as I can see, this show is going to turn out just like the other two. Connie Fisher - Had been an understudy on west-end stages. So had Lee Mead. So in my view the show is already won. By Francesca. She's starred alongside one of the judges FFS! I have nothing against her, but i think that if you found yourself in a similar position to what Francesca did, wait to get your leading role the normal way (by auditioning for other west end musicals along with other similarly trained girls) and let competitions like these be for the people out there who need to be discovered.  dry.gif

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

What a ridiculous thing to say! What you are suggesting is that the person who wins the part shouldn't be the person who is best for the job, but the person who has the best story - how on earth is that fair?

If the person with the best story is also the person who is best suited to the part then by all means they should get it, but to say that Francesca or anyone else for that matter shouldn't get the part even if they are the right person for it just because they haven't got a "rags to riches type story" is ludicrous!

#24 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 30 2008, 10:58 AM) View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say! What you are suggesting is that the person who wins the part shouldn't be the person who is best for the job, but the person who has the best story - how on earth is that fair?

If the person with the best story is also the person who is best suited to the part then by all means they should get it, but to say that Francesca or anyone else for that matter shouldn't get the part even if they are the right person for it just because they haven't got a "rags to riches type story" is ludicrous!

Absolutely agree with guest.  The best person for the job should get the part not someone who has sat around dreaming.  There is nothing to stop anyone with a modicum of ambition going to an open audition for a show - there are plenty advertised in The Stage.
It's like every thing else, they want it instantly, and are not prepared to work the system to get on the stage. After all if they were any good they would have entered the competition and made it to the final

There is a lot more to performing in any show, than being able to belt out a number.  A lot of untrained people ( and some trained ones) do not have the stamina to sustain eight performances a week, and as shown last night, a lot simply cannot move about on the stage, without looking as though they had beansticks stuck to their limbs.

I, for one certainly hope that a trained pro gets it, as I am nor prepared to spend my hard earned cash to go to a West end show and see a  Wannabee in the lead.

#25 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Guest_Sarah_* @ Mar 30 2008, 10:35 AM) View Post
Tell me about it... The show promises viewers a 'rags to riches' type story, where the winner comes from a non-musical background but has huge talent.

But being realistic about it, that's never going to happen. The concept is sold on the idea that someone can arrive from nowhere and become a star, but to be any good in a lead role you need experience of being on stage and having a beautiful voice when you sing in the shower isn't going to cut it. The producers of I'd Do Anything don't want too many people to realise that because if the dream fails to grab people's attention then hardly any hopefuls will turn up for the preliminary rounds. Singing around the house doesn't make someone an actress any more than fixing a leaky tap makes someone a plumber, but they don't want the hopefuls to realise that.

But as far as I can see, this show is going to turn out just like the other two. Connie Fisher - Had been an understudy on west-end stages. So had Lee Mead. So in my view the show is already won. By Francesca. She's starred alongside one of the judges FFS!

On the other hand they may be playing up the "professional actress" angle with Francesca Jackson because they don't think she will win. Then they can do a whole load of publicity along the lines of "See? Having connections on the panel didn't help her, so anyone could win it!" The logic is flawed, but enough people will believe it to keep the concept alive. Then they can get someone else with acting experience to win.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#26 Guest_Guest_Sabrina_*

Guest_Guest_Sabrina_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Sarah_* @ Mar 30 2008, 09:35 AM) View Post
Tell me about it... The show promises viewers a 'rags to riches' type story, where the winner comes from a non-musical background but has huge talent. But as far as I can see, this show is going to turn out just like the other two. Connie Fisher - Had been an understudy on west-end stages. So had Lee Mead. So in my view the show is already won. By Francesca. She's starred alongside one of the judges FFS! I have nothing against her, but i think that if you found yourself in a similar position to what Francesca did, wait to get your leading role the normal way (by auditioning for other west end musicals along with other similarly trained girls) and let competitions like these be for the people out there who need to be discovered.  dry.gif

The problem is, if you really wanna play Nancy (which apparently is a role Francesca loves) then that is the path you have to take. I personally find it more annoying that trained actresses and actors have to go that route now to get certain parts just because the BBC feel like giving the LORD cheap marketing.

I thought the whole Summer Hollyoaks thing was genius and it was blatantly obvious that this was just a marketing stunt, but then they never pretended it was anything but.

Whereas the whole Maria and Joseph and Nancy rubbish is trying to make it look like they really want people to wander in off the street with no training and experience and then wanna put them on a West End stage carrying a show 8 times a week. It really bugs me how they underplay some of the contestants experience/training with "I am a call centre worker, I work at Tesco's, I work at Burger King stories." I am sure it is not the contestant who try to hide the fact that they work at a call centre because they are in between engagements or that they work at Burger King to pay for their stage school education, but that it's the show's producer trying to (and by all accounts succeding) to make them look like they have no experience/training whatsoever.

I don't know if Fran is going to win this ( I personally am not that keen on her) but I also hope that one of the trained actresses will win, not only because I feel they deserve it more having invested a lot to get there (which I know some of the others might not have been able to afford) but also for the sake of the paying punters who deserve to get a professional performance for the price that they will have to pay for this show.

#27 Guest_Guest_Princess_*_*

Guest_Guest_Princess_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yes it was Katie RJ on the audition footage who was deemed "too trained" by ALW. Surely ALW should be championing the need for training  rather than decrying it?

#28 Guest_Vivian_*

Guest_Vivian_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Princess_* @ Apr 6 2008, 11:35 AM) View Post
Yes it was Katie RJ on the audition footage who was deemed "too trained" by ALW. Surely ALW should be championing the need for training  rather than decrying it?

Which video is Katie in, because I can't find her..  sad.gif

#29 Guest_Sam Richards_*

Guest_Sam Richards_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Mar 16 2008, 07:16 AM) View Post
There was a Tara Williams from Conwy in Bugsy Malone at the Queen's in 1997, but from the quality of the photograph and lack of bio I can't be sure whether she's the same Tara Williams from Wales in I'd Do Anything.

Helen French is a professional who's done some West End work and quite a few regional shows.

Tara Williams is the same Tara Williams who was in Bugsy in 1997!! Grown up a bit since then though, that was 11 years ago!!!

#30 Guest_Lu_*

Guest_Lu_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Vivian @ Apr 19 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post
Which video is Katie in, because I can't find her..  sad.gif

hey do you know what vid it is cus i reli want to see it?
thank you xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users