- - - - -

Initial Impressions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

I loved how David seemed to cry more than the contestants (and that is saying something!)... but he is a sweetie and boy does he know how to do his job! 100 times more qualified to judge than a lot of people on that panel!  Much as I love her, it must be strange for Denise to be judging people with much, much better vocal and acting skills than her. And finally, sorry John but you bending over the judging table giving it lots of camp is not the kind of performance I'd want the Nancy's to model themselves on - please stick to what you do best... saying things in triplicate.

#12 Guest_TalentshowGrinch_*

Guest_TalentshowGrinch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:05 AM

Things I really dislike about the show so far:

1. ALW describing his "rough diamond" when it's quite clear to anyone who's watched him cast in recent years that he's not interested in rough diamonds at all. ALW casts practical, feasible talent every time and it generally works very well. In fact, I can't think of a single big casting risk he's taken, unlike Cameron Mackintosh who cast Martine McCutcheon... for better or for worse. And Faye Dunaway doesn't count, by the way.

2. John Barrowman's ridiculous "do it like this" spectacle. Jesus man, stop it.

3. John Barrowman being talked about as though he's created hundreds of roles and triumphed all over town. He has not. He did an alright turn in Anything Goes, he was one of many guys who played Chris in Miss Saigon (I saw him and he was one of the limper ones, to be perfectly honest) and he did a few other spots. Compare him, if you will, to the likes of Glenn Carter, John Owen Jones and Matt Rawle, to name three of so many others, and the divide between him and those actors who are really, really good leading men, capable of more than one accent, is gapingly evident. He's almost as bad as fellow pseudo-legend Jason bloody Gardiner (who?).

4. The pleaders, especially the one who said "I've been waiting all my life for this chance". The chance to audition on a talent show that's only been trawling for a couple of months, you mean? You joker.

So only four things so far; pretty good going. Extra brownie points will be awarded if we see more of Cameron, less of John and Denise Van Permagrin, and if the following are featured in the final production:

a. Bill Brohn's orchestrations,
b. Barry Humphries' Fagin (hysterical),
c. Mike Walker and Paul Groothius' sound design,
d. Anthony Ward's set design, and
e. A Nancy as good, or nearly as good, as Sonia Swaby.

There, I have spoken. If ALW and Cameron would be so kind as to cater to all the aforementioned, I would be most grateful.

#13 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(TalentshowGrinch @ Mar 17 2008, 12:05 AM) View Post
Extra brownie points will be awarded if we see more of Cameron, less of John and Denise Van Permagrin, and if the following are featured in the final production:

a. Bill Brohn's orchestrations,
b. Barry Humphries' Fagin (hysterical),
c. Mike Walker and Paul Groothius' sound design,
d. Anthony Ward's set design, and
e. A Nancy as good, or nearly as good, as Sonia Swaby.

There, I have spoken. If ALW and Cameron would be so kind as to cater to all the aforementioned, I would be most grateful.

a. Definately - Fantastic orchestrations.
b. Never saw him do it but hell yeah anyway.
c. Yes.
d. Most seriously.  Excellent set design.
e. Never in a million years.  Sonia Swaby is Godess of all things marvellous.

QUOTE(angelfan @ Mar 16 2008, 10:30 AM) View Post
Having not seen the Never Forget tour I didn't know Nancy Sullivan but she was the one that as soon as I saw her there was something about her that just made me think she was right for the role.

Yes, I immediately thought Nancy Sullivan was right.  I hope she is taken through to the final twelve.  There were one or two others though who I thought may be in with a chance.  I think Cleopatra was one of them.

I won't be called a baggage!

#14 busymum

busymum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Mar 16 2008, 11:42 AM) View Post
I thought Nancy was the best audition we saw.
She actually acted the song and made it very emotional.

Did anyone else see Tasha Sheridan from Moma Mia arguing with JB?

I too thought that "Nancy" was the best we saw though clearly we didn't see them all. Wish they wouldn't do the sob story thing though. If they are good enough to win the part they should not have to go for the sympathy votes.

Did not actually recognise Tasha Sheridan but have seen her in Mama Mia. How embarassing to argue with JB. Get a grip girl and move on!

Busymum

#15 RyKas

RyKas

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:The theatre (like dur!!), script writing, wine tasting, gigs, photography-the arts and being with chums!

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(busymum @ Mar 17 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
Did not actually recognise Tasha Sheridan but have seen her in Mama Mia. How embarassing to argue with JB. Get a grip girl and move on!
Busymum

I thought that was Tasha from Mama Mia, how embarrassing to argue with JB, she should have stayed with Mama Mia!

Nancy Sullivan was great and I hope she goes all the way as she deserves to be a star with that amazing voice, I actually cried when she sang ‘As long as he needs me’ she has pure talent.

What about all the other famous theatre faces, it was like a who’s who in the theatre world with KRJ, Helen French etc. etc.

Obviously to get a good part in the theatre world now you have to resort to reality TV!

"It's just gone noon half past monsoon, on the banks of the river Nile......Here comes the boat only half-afloat"

#16 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Seeing as everything on here has been negative so far I would I would say some positive things about I'd Do Anything.

I actually think it seems very good so far.  I thought Nancy was perfect for Nancy and really should get the part but it will be fun watching the process between now and when she gets offered the part!  

I actually love ALW and believe that he has been very instrumental in revitalising west end theatre, I am one person who is now addicted to west end shows since it has become more popular.  David Grindrod seems like a lovely man and really knows what he is talking about, I believe he had a lot to do with casting Summer in The Sound Of Music so he certainly knows what he is looking for and I have faith that he will choose the best!

I can't really see an obvious Oliver yet but I believe they are correct in wanting to find someone who is a lot more streetwise and tough looking than the film Oliver.

Just a small negative note......John Barrowman (need I say more!)

#17 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(busymum @ Mar 17 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
Wish they wouldn't do the sob story thing though. If they are good enough to win the part they should not have to go for the sympathy votes.

I expect they wouldn't get on television if they didn't do the sob story thing. If you were producing the show which would you rather put on screen:

"Well, I've been working in theatre for several years and this looks like a pretty good next job, so I thought I'd go for it. It's not like I have anything to lose."

or:

"I've been dreaming of this ever since I saw the film as a little girl, and my adorable daughter..." [holds adorable daughter up by scruff of neck for a second] "...is so looking forward to seeing me on stage, and I'm just getting over my cat being possessed by the devil and my parents were eaten by mimes and if I don't get this part I'll just die, I know I will, and - Oh wow! - I'm actually meeting Graham Norton and I'm so excited and I just know I'll be the bestest Nancy ever!"
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

"I can't really see an obvious Oliver yet but I believe they are correct in wanting to find someone who is a lot more streetwise and tough looking than the film Oliver."

Surely the point of Oliver is that he isn't streetwise and struggles to handle the environment he finds himself in?

#19 Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*

Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

What I don't like is how the panel changes, it should be the same as far as possible throughout after having sifted the initial auditionees. Why not have David Grindrod on the TV panel, he knows the casting game inside out and could have given inpartial advice and criticism in the Zoe Tyler role. Also is Sir Cameron going to be on the TV panel or not?

I love it when wannabees start argueing i.e It will shatter my dreams, it's what I've wanted all my life. Obviously too many school productions and singing in front of biased audiences.

John Barrowman is virtually tied to these shows as he has the Torchwood.Dr Who roles as well as other BBC programmes so this may be part of his deal. I've always liked DVO from her Big Breakfast days not the greatest musical performer but always good fun to watch.

#20 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 17 2008, 01:45 PM) View Post
"I can't really see an obvious Oliver yet but I believe they are correct in wanting to find someone who is a lot more streetwise and tough looking than the film Oliver."

Surely the point of Oliver is that he isn't streetwise and struggles to handle the environment he finds himself in?

(A streetwise Oliver ...)

"Please, sir, I want some more."

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

"What!" said the master at length, in a faint voice.

"Are you thick or what?" replied Oliver. "I want some more, motherf*****!"

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

"Does your mother know how to sew?" asked Oliver. "Well tell her to stitch this."
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users