- - - - -

Initial Impressions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*

Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

The amount of pro auditions I have attended that people were vocally sick at and were recalled, told to go home and rest and come back when they have recovered and sing a song from the show - amount to so many. What happened with Francesca would have happened at any other pro audition if they liked the look of her and had an ide of her capabilities. I once auditioned for Miss Saigon and a girl singing for Kim was so ill she got barely talk. She was sent home and recalled a week later. It's really not uncommon at all.

#62 Guest_Bilbo_*

Guest_Bilbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

i agree whole heartedly - its about who is best for the job and its clear that francesca jackson was judged on what she had done so far and that (denise van outen or not) they all hold her in high regard - why wouldnt they?
They did the same for the big girl with the unique voice, and for the girl who buckled under pressure. and thats only what they showed on the telly - who knows what else went wrong!!

Do people think that they should have put someone less talented through because they were healthier at the time?

if i was casting a show i would give people the benefit of the doubt as much as possible because everyone has off days, everyone gets nervous, everyone gets sick and everyone deserves a chance.

but hey... what do i know. wink.gif

#63 Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*

Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

The elimination process was based on performances throughout as they said with Francesca and is never just judged on one performance, most people in these type of elimination shows have one bad week but if you can pick yourself up is the important thing after a blip. Once you start struggling then some of these contestants seem to give up hope but others like Helena in HDYSAPLM came on strong towards the end.

From the auditionees I really like young Jessie or the bubbly Jodie would be worthy winners but until I see first live show I'll reserve judgement.

#64 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Well of course I'll be hooked! It's impossible to tell who's good or bad in the initial two shows because of the fast editing and not being able to hear more than a few bars from each girl. With the Maria and Jopseph programmes the winners were very clear to me very early on (I should have placed a bet!!) and it will  be interesting to see whether the same applies with Oliver. I shall see the first couple of live shows and then deliver my verdict. Although my initial impressions (see I can keep on topic!) are that the standard is higher this year than in the previous programmes.

#65 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

Jessie is good, but too young in my eyes. Nancy is supposed to have been with Bill Sykes for years.. surely she's got to be mid 20s at least. Jessie looks barely 2 or 3 years older than the oldest looking Olivers (who, by the way, didn't really impress me very much at all).
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#66 jimee1987

jimee1987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Like I said in my post, that was my opinion on the matter but I do understand where you are all coming from and I can see where I may have been wrong.

I think there were a couple of the Olivers who stood out a lot more then the others. Although, some of them weren't brilliant, maybe the judges saw something we didn't on the TV.

I look forward to the first show on Saturday when we get to see them perform properly.
"Condoms don't even go with lasagne"

#67 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

In the book Nancy is meant to be 17 but in the musical (which is what is being cast) Nancy has always had a playing age of mid twenties really. That's what Georgia Brown (original stage) and Shanie Wallace (the original film Nancy) were cast as. And what Lionel Bart had in mind.

#68 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Dickens has her as 17? Really?? It's a long time since I've read the book so I'll take your word for it, but I remember Nancy seeming so grown up when I read it (perhaps because I was only 11 or 12 at the time).

I would think of her as 25-30, IMO.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#69 RyKas

RyKas

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:The theatre (like dur!!), script writing, wine tasting, gigs, photography-the arts and being with chums!

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Some of the Oli's didn't impress me but then half of the trouble is they did not show enough of them on screen.  If they are trying to protect the children why audition them in the first place?

I think the show has been really badly edited and lots has been missed out or made a fuss of i.e. Fran being ill they could have told us once and made more room for shots of 'Nancy School'.
"It's just gone noon half past monsoon, on the banks of the river Nile......Here comes the boat only half-afloat"

#70 Peaches_dynamite

Peaches_dynamite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Without making any offical judgements until the live show. .
Jodie impressed me from the very start and Jessie did to. I dont think that Jessie is right for the role at all, she is far to young BUT i do think that the show will bring amazing opportunites for her.
and Fran impressed me to, but i was impressed with her in Rent to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users