• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 damedave

damedave

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

What a depressing state of affairs. Like "Who do you solve...? and Connie...." we'll be left with having to choose the best of a bad bunch....Nancy Sullivan. Thats not to say she was not good, but after watching all the callback videos on the bbc site, Its a very uninspiring bunch. She was very good though...but I dont think anyone will come close to touching Sally Dexter who was so brilliant at the Palladium....she had the rawness they keep banging on about for this version...and then they go and put some warbly-voiced Wendy through!

And how depressing for someone so good like Katie Rowley Jones to have to audition with some truly appaling girls....(the girl singing the Little Mermaid song in some strange accent, aiming for american? and some girl from a burger bar with a face like the back end of a bus)...she is far better than this.
Good to see that Tasha Sheridan didnt get though though.... She gave the worst perfromance Ive ever seen in Mamma Mia.....

Still...Its nice to contrast that with the Oliver Auditions, some very talented young kids there...and nice to see them being cast in a slightly less brutal way when it comes to the live tv shows......a very good decision i think....

#2 Guest_bilbo_*

Guest_bilbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

wow... arent you FULL of opinions.

how can you judge the standard from what you saw last night and some short clips of preliminary auditions on the website??

there is 42 through to the school and they showed around 4 or five of them at the most.

get a grip.

#3 Guest_Guest_damedave_*_*

Guest_Guest_damedave_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

AS I SAID....I saw the auditions on the website...in full....they show the complete audtion for each one....... so I feel pretty able to judge them by that.....and apologies for having an openinion...on a forum....an outrageous concept!

#4 Guest_Thomas_*

Guest_Thomas_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

come on dame dave... i think you can agree that there is SOME quality - even if the auditions on camera dont show it...

helen french
rachel tucker
francesca jackson
nancy sullivan
sarah lark
natalie o'donnell

all professionals who have worked... im praying they all get through and we have another daniel boys/lee mead type contest.

these reality roles need to go to good working actors and actresses or our business will go down the toilet and become a big brother casting suite.

lets get behind the professionals!!!!

#5 Guest_Guest_brightlights_*_*

Guest_Guest_brightlights_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(damedave @ Mar 16 2008, 05:35 PM) View Post
What a depressing state of affairs. Like "Who do you solve...? and Connie...." we'll be left with having to choose the best of a bad bunch....Nancy Sullivan. Thats not to say she was not good, but after watching all the callback videos on the bbc site, Its a very uninspiring bunch. She was very good though...but I dont think anyone will come close to touching Sally Dexter who was so brilliant at the Palladium....she had the rawness they keep banging on about for this version...and then they go and put some warbly-voiced Wendy through!

And how depressing for someone so good like Katie Rowley Jones to have to audition with some truly appaling girls....(the girl singing the Little Mermaid song in some strange accent, aiming for american? and some girl from a burger bar with a face like the back end of a bus)...she is far better than this.
Good to see that Tasha Sheridan didnt get though though.... She gave the worst perfromance Ive ever seen in Mamma Mia.....

Still...Its nice to contrast that with the Oliver Auditions, some very talented young kids there...and nice to see them being cast in a slightly less brutal way when it comes to the live tv shows......a very good decision i think....

#6 Guest_Guest_brightlights_*_*

Guest_Guest_brightlights_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

You are very much in the minority damedave (suitable name me thinks ..) as far as Tasha Sheridan is concerned. She was one of the best Sophie's to be cast in Mamma Mia! That was the main reason she didn't get through, along with the fact she has a fantastic voice and can actually sing .. in other words she was too good!

As for your other comments - it's very obvious that you have no idea how these things work, but like to think that you do!!

#7 Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*

Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

I thought it was intersting when David Grinrod said about Katie Rowley-Jones that her voice was "too theatrical" I believe. It would seen that ALW has instucted his casting director to in effect find someone who goes against the trained voiced peoople they have cast in their normal casting jobs. Summer Strallen being from a theatrical background, stage school etc must have a highly trained voice yet ALW was very happy for her to take over from Connie.

Anyone going into a West End musical singing a major role would need some sort of vocal training (i.e You try to make sure that their voice will hold for 6 or 8 performances a week and not sing in a style that strains their vocals etc) Casting a complete rough diamond would be a very risky move to take.

ALW must almost regret reviving Evita just before HDYSAPLM as although Elena Roger was better than anyone they could have found via reality casting, all the publicity surrounding the programme would have perhaps given it more both office legs. If ALW is so into this type of show why not re-cast one of the major Phantom of the Opera roles this way next time, it could tie in with a cast change over and finding a Phantom or a Raoul could be an option for another series as a male role would be due next time.

#8 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:54 PM

I notice that Nancy Sullivan has worked with ALW at Sydmonton.

#9 Guest_Guest_Sam_*_*

Guest_Guest_Sam_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

I just have to say that I completely agree with the comment made on Sally Dexter. She is Nancy is my eyes, she just had every element needed and no-one will perform "As Long as he Needs Me" as touching as she did.  rolleyes.gif

#10 Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*

Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

She doesn't make it to the final 12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users