Judi Dench

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mistress Quickly

Mistress Quickly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:movies, literature, music, theatre, my favourite actresses and actors...

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

I've only seen her in two plays, namely Hay Fever and Merry Wives - The Musical but I just adore her. A truly amazing actress, and I'm really glad that I've finally discovered her for me.  wink.gif  Took me long enough anyway. *g*

Any more fans around?

#2 World Traveler

World Traveler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

I've been a fan since my mother introduced me to As Time Goes By several years ago.  I've since been fortunate enough to see her on stage three times, first in All's Well That Ends Well and then the two you mentioned -- I saw Merry Wives the weekend before last.  I very much enjoyed her performance in all three.

#3 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

Ive been a fan since As time Goes By, only seen her in HayFever and Alls Well. She is brilliant and has such presence.

#4 Mistress Quickly

Mistress Quickly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:movies, literature, music, theatre, my favourite actresses and actors...

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

I just love ATGB. *g* Great show and pity that it's over. But who knows, there might be more specials.  wink.gif

What did you think of Merry Wives? No idea why critics were so harsh about it. I read quite a lot of rather nasty reviews, and I don't really see why.

#5 World Traveler

World Traveler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

I very much enjoyed Merry Wives.  I have never seen the original play performed, so it was a fun way for me to be "introduced" to the work smile.gif.  Simon Callow was a hoot as Falstaff -- the whole cast, I thought, was great.  My favorite though, was Fenton, played by Martin Crewes.  I had been "introduced" to Martin when I saw The Woman in White, and very much enjoyed his work in that show, so I was pleased to get the chance to see him onstage again.

As for As Time Goes By, I'm slowly building my collection of DVDs, so I can catch up on those episodes I've missed.

#6 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

I never got to see Merry Wives and probaly wont know. It got a bit of a roasting by the critics but most people I've talked to who have seen it said that they really emjoyed it.

#7 Cat

Cat

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(World Traveler @ Feb 13 2007, 12:06 PM) View Post
I very much enjoyed Merry Wives.  I have never seen the original play performed, so it was a fun way for me to be "introduced" to the work smile.gif.  Simon Callow was a hoot as Falstaff -- the whole cast, I thought, was great.  My favorite though, was Fenton, played by Martin Crewes.  I had been "introduced" to Martin when I saw The Woman in White, and very much enjoyed his work in that show, so I was pleased to get the chance to see him onstage again.

I agree totally with your comments - it was a great show.  

#8 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

I think J.Dench is overrated - the received wisdom is that she is a "great" stage actress but I have never seen the evidence to justify this - in just about every role she has played I can think of someone who I have seen who was better, and in some roles (Cleopatra) there are plenty.

#9 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Feb 13 2007, 01:56 PM) View Post
I think J.Dench is overrated - the received wisdom is that she is a "great" stage actress but I have never seen the evidence to justify this - in just about every role she has played I can think of someone who I have seen who was better, and in some roles (Cleopatra) there are plenty.

But surely, even if that is the case, it is the better actress who is second 'best' in 10 roles, than who is best in one but makes no mark in any other roles. In my eyes, the mark of a great actress/actor is diversity, variety, passion and dedication.. you certainly can't show the first two just by being great at one role.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#10 Guest_keithp_*

Guest_keithp_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

surprided Jan that you keep going to see her since you find her over-rated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users