24 replies to this topic

#11 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

That is a strange suggestion - so I should have avoided seeing her as Cleopatra because I think she is overrated, despite the fact that I like the play, the director, and the two main male leading actors ?

I don't have the time to list all the actresses who I think are better than JD when considered over many roles: for a start Vanessa Redgrave, Helen Mirren, Janet Suzman, Harriet Walter etc. etc. I find JD actually lacks versatility, being pretty much the same in everything she does.

#12 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Feb 13 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post
I don't have the time to list all the actresses who I think are better than JD when considered over many roles: for a start Vanessa Redgrave

laugh.gif
I'm no huge fan or defender of Dench - she's good - but Redgrave?! Now you're talking overrated. VR is the queen of overratedness.

Agreed, though, that not being a fan of someone shouldn't necessarily put you off seeing that production.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hi there. [ this new site is making me more polite ]You can rent the DVD Mrs Brown in which Judi shows her talent off . And there a few other movies out there I think. Plus the new one. I think her thing is that she has no personal vanity but serves the text and the intention of the writer. She was a really sexy girl - check out some of the pics of her when young. She has become a bit samey in West End Comedy I think but who can blame her when the punters flood in? Whenever I've heard her talk in interviews I've been struck by how UNpompous she is, how she doesn't pretend to know everything about her craft.

#14 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Feb 13 2007, 03:22 PM) View Post
Whenever I've heard her talk in interviews I've been struck by how UNpompous she is, how she doesn't pretend to know everything about her craft.

...to the extent that she's not even going to the oscars this year, despite her nomination

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#15 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

I have been careful not to comment on her ability as a film of TV actor - just stage.

I'm aware that there is a massive difference of opinion here about V.Redgrave. I like her a lot, but maybe we can have that argument again.

#16 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 13 2007, 03:25 PM) View Post
...to the extent that she's not even going to the oscars this year, despite her nomination

That's a shame but she probably knows Helen is going to win anyways.

#17 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

She isn't going to the Oscars because she is having an operation on her leg now that she's finished in Merry Wives.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed MW as a bit of fluff and disagree with the people who say she can't sing. She has an inate musicality and really knows how to put over a song. She is also a great actress who can shine in great work (All's Well) and almost rescue a bad one (The Breath of Life).

#18 Guest_Guest_Jan Brock_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jan Brock_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

"All's Well" is not great work - it's a weak play that would not be revived at all were it not for the fame of its author. I though JD was adequate in it - nowehere near as impressive as Peggy Ashcroft was in the role.

#19 World Traveler

World Traveler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Jan Brock_* @ Feb 14 2007, 01:46 PM) View Post
"All's Well" is not great work - it's a weak play that would not be revived at all were it not for the fame of its author. I though JD was adequate in it - nowehere near as impressive as Peggy Ashcroft was in the role.

Basically, it all boils down to personal opinion when it comes to various works and performances.   Naturally, if one has seen more than one person in any given role, it will be a case of comparing and  preferring one actor over another.  

#20 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:49 PM

Thank you for that insight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users