757 replies to this topic

#721 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Doubt it, the only show i have known to recast for just a couple of weeks was LOTR!

Saw the show last night and Carley is fantastic, she really is a great fiona, funny, charming and a brilliant singer, when the mics were working. Someone on broadwayworld said about Matilda having sound issues but when i went i thought it was fine, but Shrek at parts was completely  inaudible and that was from row H in the stalls!
  Oliver was a good shrek, but i did miss Dean at parts such as final bit of Who I'd Be. Richard needs to leave but that has been said before, he can't sing, speaks his lines too fast and generally delivers a sub standard performance and that isn't worth the money i had paid.
Neil is an excellent Farquaad funny, and has a great voice, really had the audience in stitches in places and was generally a joy to watch on that stage. I hope that when shrek closes Carley and Neil especially do more stage work.

All in all was an enjoyable night at the theatre and the show has recently got better in terms of casting, but the biggest problem they had  year ago, is still there unfortunately. Will be back to see it before it closes!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#722 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Just read on twitter that Bradley went on for todays matinee.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#723 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 16 September 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Doubt it, the only show i have known to recast for just a couple of weeks was LOTR!

Saw the show last night and Carley is fantastic, she really is a great fiona, funny, charming and a brilliant singer, when the mics were working. Someone on broadwayworld said about Matilda having sound issues but when i went i thought it was fine, but Shrek at parts was completely  inaudible and that was from row H in the stalls!
  Oliver was a good shrek, but i did miss Dean at parts such as final bit of Who I'd Be. Richard needs to leave but that has been said before, he can't sing, speaks his lines too fast and generally delivers a sub standard performance and that isn't worth the money i had paid.
Neil is an excellent Farquaad funny, and has a great voice, really had the audience in stitches in places and was generally a joy to watch on that stage. I hope that when shrek closes Carley and Neil especially do more stage work.

All in all was an enjoyable night at the theatre and the show has recently got better in terms of casting, but the biggest problem they had  year ago, is still there unfortunately. Will be back to see it before it closes!

Saw the matinee yesterday. Agree all that. Neil is hilarious. Carley was very good at everything.  The ensemble is great too - every bear, witch, fairy, gingerbread,  dragoneer, and pig of them. Agree about the sound. Its terrible. Carley has enough belt and sings high enough to get herself heard,  but lots of Shrek and Donkey were inaudible and the louder parts of the music fought even the entire ensemble. When even  an ogre can't be heard (in row E stalls)  (he was fine when he could be) Is it  the equipment or who is using it?

#724 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I haven't seen the show, but sound issues always interest me. The sound designer (who designs the system as well as sound effects) is American, and that can sometimes cause issues, as the way the yanks do sound sometimes doesn't work in a West End theatre. The only thing I know about the system is it uses a Studer Vista, which isn't the norm for a musical in the West End. But I haven't heard of any sound issues until now, so I'm guessing the sound no. 1 has been off a bit, and the no 2 has had to mix.

#725 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Since RoA won't do any sunday performances after its move to the Garrick, I remain with a yet free sunday, so I'm planning to revisit the swamps one last time before Shrek closes.

I have been dayseating for Shrek last April, but strangely the homepage doesn't list day seats anymore (not sure, if it ever has), so I was wondering whether Shrek still does day seats and if so at which price (my last Shrek day seat was 30£ iirc).
Also, how has the day seat queue been recently (especially on a sunday)? According to Shrek's homepage, the box office won't open until 11am at sundays, so will 10am be sufficient?

Thanks!
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#726 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

They still sell day seats at £30. I go quite regularly (mostly on Sundays) and have been the only one there every single time. The box office opens at 10:30am on a Sunday (no idea why it says 11am on the website).
I usually arrive at the theatre when the box office opens and I've never had a problem getting day seats.

#727 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Anyone at the final show today? Was there speeches or anything? Must say it was a brilliant show and had one of the most talented casts in the west end, a really fantastic ensemble! But think it was time for it to come to an end, over 700 performances is brilliant!

#728 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I went to last nights show, it was emotional, not even joking. The show will be over now too... Booooo :'(

#729 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

theres still the tour to look forward to

#730 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostTitan, on 24 February 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

theres still the tour to look forward to

It definitely going on tour? Wonder if some of the west end cast will join the tour ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users