757 replies to this topic

#741 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I wouldn't call Carley stunt casting, but the first two Fiona's were IMO (Amanda Holden and Kimberley Walsh).

My favourite Fiona was btw Alice Fearn (u/s), and I think she should have been promoted when Amanda left (or gotten the role in the first place)
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#742 Warmington

Warmington

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I thought that Dean Chisnall did a wonderful job as Shrek and to be cast from understudy was a great achievement.  It will be interesting to see what he goes on to do now.  I agree with FireFingers the last cast were all very good and definitely lifted the show to another level. IMO Carley Stenson made Fiona real, Kimberley Walsh and Amanda Holden just seemed like Kimberley Walsh and Amanda Holden trying to be Fiona.

#743 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I agree that Carley Stenson is not stunt casting, but generally for a tour this is the route that is chosen. Hopefully, there are enough people out there who can fulfill both criteria -  a "name" to get people in, and then the talent to fulfill the role.

#744 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Its... (from best to worst in my opinion)

Carley Stenton
Alice Fearn
Amanda Holden
Kimberley Walsh

As much as I love Kimberley, she was shocking to even be considered a leading lady, she was shocking!!

#745 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 24 February 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Anyone at the final show today? Was there speeches or anything? Must say it was a brilliant show and had one of the most talented casts in the west end, a really fantastic ensemble! But think it was time for it to come to an end, over 700 performances is brilliant!
Dean did a lovely speech. He hadn't prepared anything and it was such a nice and warm speech straight from the heart.
The whole show was really emotional. Lots of tears at the end.

#746 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostJohn_Rebus, on 25 February 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I really hope they won't (again) stunt cast Fiona for the tour.

Its a term with no real definition.  Some of the "celebrity names" cast in recent years have been astoundingly good choices. Others have been as good as anyone else would have been .  Others have been OK . Some just fitted the  roles better because the roles were  to play characters just like them.  Some have been weak and unconvincing in multidimensions.  One of the weaknesses of the West End is that its not that  good at picking up and reusing  the  people who have done well,  and it still can cast the ones who shouldn't or can't play the roles. Carley is probably one of the strongest triple threats out there - I would be happy to see anyone anything like as good as her in the tour.

#747 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

i would say carley was kinda stunt casting as if she hadnt been in hollyoaks im not sure shed have got the part. but certainly not as obvious as amanda holden or kimberley walsh (who was ok when i saw her)

#748 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

View Postdjp, on 25 February 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Its a term with no real definition.

Stunt casting is usually taken to mean casting famous names who'd have had no chance of getting the job had they not been famous. It doesn't apply when someone is both famous and capable of handling the part. (Some people consider it stunt casting when a show casts a famous name they personally dislike, but that's not the same thing.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#749 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Sorry for bumping this as it's quite old but someone on Broadway world has found an amazon link for the DVD being released on October 15th 2013. The link has since been removed but the cache is still up.

http://webcache.goog...1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Anyone think this will be the US tour version instead of the Broadway one? Was the UK one filmed at all? :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#750 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostMrTRobz, on 27 April 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Sorry for bumping this as it's quite old but someone on Broadway world has found an amazon link for the DVD being released on October 15th 2013. The link has since been removed but the cache is still up.

http://webcache.goog...1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Anyone think this will be the US tour version instead of the Broadway one? Was the UK one filmed at all? :)

It was apparently supposed to be released on DVD before the Broadway producton closed, as it had already been filmed...clips of it were used for the special sneak peak on the Shrek Forever After DVD.

I really hope this gets a UK release if it is true.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users