14 replies to this topic

#1 shiningstars

shiningstars

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi everyone!!

I'm interested in Chaperoning for theatre in a few years' time and just wondered if anybody has any experience of this or can offer any advice...

I know it takes about 6 weeks to obtain a licence, but is worth getting one before you get a job? That may sound silly as obviously you need one... but my point is that I'm guessing jobs are quite scarce (I'm thinking professional type productions here- like west end or tours!) so is it worth the money/time/effort of getting a licence if you can't guarantee a job?

Also, where are these sorts of jobs advertised, is there a minimum age (I mean obviously above 18, but I mean like over 21!) and what's the usual 'entry route'? Apart from references with children, is there any specific experience desired?

Any info at all about it would be great, as I'm only considering it and don't know much at the moment!!

Thanks very much biggrin.gif

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(shiningstars @ Mar 23 2008, 05:53 PM) View Post
Hi everyone!!

I'm interested in Chaperoning for theatre in a few years' time and just wondered if anybody has any experience of this or can offer any advice...

I know it takes about 6 weeks to obtain a licence, but is worth getting one before you get a job? That may sound silly as obviously you need one... but my point is that I'm guessing jobs are quite scarce (I'm thinking professional type productions here- like west end or tours!) so is it worth the money/time/effort of getting a licence if you can't guarantee a job?

Also, where are these sorts of jobs advertised, is there a minimum age (I mean obviously above 18, but I mean like over 21!) and what's the usual 'entry route'? Apart from references with children, is there any specific experience desired?

Any info at all about it would be great, as I'm only considering it and don't know much at the moment!!

Thanks very much biggrin.gif

Ok 1st off theres lots and lost of work for chaperones - it does take a few weeks to get your liscence but getting it varies from Education authority to education authority - mine is done through Cheshire LEA and they pay the cost of the licence - but they also do a spot home check and have a face to face interview with you! - some counties dont let you work in their area unless you have a licence by them, other will except them.

in terms of getting in - some big national tours advertise in places like the stage, ring agencies up that have children on their books the likley hood is they will also cover chaperones, also here in cheshire they do a list and send out to the big companies i did whistle down the wind tour a few years ago through the list and it paid well although the job was 24/7 at that stage!

in terms of age - 18 is the minimum!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 shiningstars

shiningstars

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Laughingmonsta @ Mar 23 2008, 07:10 PM) View Post
Ok 1st off theres lots and lost of work for chaperones - it does take a few weeks to get your liscence but getting it varies from Education authority to education authority - mine is done through Cheshire LEA and they pay the cost of the licence - but they also do a spot home check and have a face to face interview with you! - some counties dont let you work in their area unless you have a licence by them, other will except them.

in terms of getting in - some big national tours advertise in places like the stage, ring agencies up that have children on their books the likley hood is they will also cover chaperones, also here in cheshire they do a list and send out to the big companies i did whistle down the wind tour a few years ago through the list and it paid well although the job was 24/7 at that stage!

in terms of age - 18 is the minimum!

Thanks very much Laughingmonsta!! (sorry it's taken me ages to reply!)

That's really helpful, just one more question, when you had your interview for WDTW, were they looking for any qualifications or specific experience (apart from general experience with children)?

Where would they advertise west end posts, or would you just have to write to theatres on the off chance? (I know there aren't that many WE shows with kids in so it would be a long shot!)

Thanks very much smile.gif

#4 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(shiningstars @ Apr 15 2008, 07:04 PM) View Post
when you had your interview for WDTW, were they looking for any qualifications or specific experience (apart from general experience with children)?

not a problem, i didnt have an interview they contacted me direct i presume it was from a recomendation!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#5 SimbaUK

SimbaUK

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Laughingmonsta @ Mar 23 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post

Hi, my name is Matt and I am 24 years old. I am investigating working as a chaperone in theatre but need a bit of help.

Is there a datebase or something that lists all the talent agencies in the UK on? Cos theres so many I dunno where to start.

I also bought The Stage today to see if that helped, it sort of did.

#6 JohnH

JohnH

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Laughingmonsta,

You said that there is 'lots and lots of work for chaperones'.  Would there be enough work for this to be a full-time job?  I am thinking seriously of becomming a chaperone but was wondering if I could make a living out of it?

If I could ask another, maybe cheeky question but does anyone know what the average wage of a theatre chaperone is?

Thanks.

#7 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(JohnH @ Jul 9 2008, 10:23 PM) View Post
Laughingmonsta,

You said that there is 'lots and lots of work for chaperones'.  Would there be enough work for this to be a full-time job?  I am thinking seriously of becomming a chaperone but was wondering if I could make a living out of it?

If I could ask another, maybe cheeky question but does anyone know what the average wage of a theatre chaperone is?

Thanks.

Hi i think if you became a residentchaperone on a big musical then yes you could make  aliving out of it - or if you become a resident chaperone on a tour like Mary Poppins

most regional theatres will pay a show call and that is usually the BECTU minimum for backstage workers - the money is in chaperning for TV & Film

#8 JohnH

JohnH

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for getting back to me Laughingmonsta, its much appreciated.

#9 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hey everybody!

Thanks to Haz I found this topic on chaperoning about which I do, too, have a few questions:

What exactly does the job of a chaperone include (like the job profile)?
What is that license you were talking about earlier?
What is that 'spot home check' that Laughingmonsta has mentioned cohesive with the job interview?
Do you have to be particularly trained in something or studied something particular to do this job or could 'anybody' do it?
What is a resident chaperone?
And to pick of one of Shiningstars' questions: where to look / how to apply for a job as a chaperone?

I'd be SO very happy for any info and replies! I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot in advance!

~*LAST' INN TEGITHA! (LISTEN, YOUR INSTINCT WILL LEAD YOU!)*~

#10 MusicalTwin

MusicalTwin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Any one? unsure.gif

I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere so this place is a rare chance to learn a bit more about it... sad.gif

~*LAST' INN TEGITHA! (LISTEN, YOUR INSTINCT WILL LEAD YOU!)*~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users