- - - - -

Georgia Brown

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_QTip_*_*

Guest_Guest_QTip_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

Is it just me?! I'm totally flabbergasted that no one has mentioned the original Nancy - the late, great Georgia Brown. Surely the definitive performance and the one by which all future wannabees should be judged.

#2 Guest_GuestGB_*

Guest_GuestGB_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Guest_QTip_* @ Mar 24 2008, 09:31 PM) View Post
Is it just me?! I'm totally flabbergasted that no one has mentioned the original Nancy - the late, great Georgia Brown. Surely the definitive performance and the one by which all future wannabees should be judged.

#3 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

Absolutely. It's a tragedy.

#4 Guest_mouse_*

Guest_mouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Mar 25 2008, 02:19 PM) View Post
Absolutely. It's a tragedy.

Totally agree. There will never be a performance to match hers.

#5 Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*

Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:13 AM

actually one of the best Nancy's I have seen was Helen Shapiro....oh that voice was perfect.

#6 Guest_Guest_Hendrik_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hendrik_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

I agree about those two Nancys, especially Georgia Brown, who was a really outstanding performer, someone sadly missed in the theatre now, but I would also mention Shani Wallis who was excellent in the film version.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

Sorry guys - don't want to moan but this is a Georgia Brown thread - not meant to be a place to compare pale comparisons of her - however good they might have been in their own right.

#8 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Why not? There are plenty of other threads in this section, so there is no need to get too precious about it. And, after all, the role of Nancy in the show was created for Georgia Brown.

#9 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

I presume no-one is mentioning Georgia Brown because, although she was the original Nancy, her performance was quite a long time ago.  Very few members of the general public are likely to know who she is and nor is likely to be much record of her performance however good it may be.  Cam Mack & ALW have repeatedly said that they are looking for something new and raw.  Obviously that's bollocks, but it would be massively obvious to all that it's bollocks if they started suggesting that whoever wins should base their performance or be in any way influenced by Georgia Brown, or indeed any subsequent Nancy.  Note that no other previous Nancy has been heavily featured other than Sonia Swaby and even then the TV showed only a tiny glimpse of her actual performance.
I won't be called a baggage!

#10 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(M George @ Apr 1 2008, 08:19 PM) View Post
Cam Mack & ALW have repeatedly said that they are looking for something new and raw.  Obviously that's bollocks

I think I want to marry you and have your babies, M.  laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users