#1 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Always up for visiting spaces I haven't been to before, so I've just booked for The Watcher (now with Sarah Manners replacing the apparently injured Donna Air). I wondered if anyone here had been to any productions at Waterloo East.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#2 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yes, I have. It's a lovely theatre, fairly small!

#3 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

I've also been (saw Departure Lounge there back in October) and agree that it's a very pleasant space - and extremely handy for stations!  Only slight drawback was that it was a wet evening but the staff wouldn't allow patrons into the foyer for ages so we had to stand outside in the rain - no shelter nearby.

#4 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I've been to Departure Lounge & Sunset Bitch there (both last year). Its a dinky little theatre, very small & simple but a lovely atmosphere. Not much space in the small foyer/bar/box office but its ok and the drinks prices are a pleasant surprise. I particularly liked the logos on the toilet doors too...

#5 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

View Postfreckles, on 03 March 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

drinks prices are a pleasant surprise.
Went last night to see The Watcher. Saw what you meant about the drinks - amazing prices.

Sadly the play, a two-hander, wasn't up to much. It starts with an attractive blonde woman trying to have a relaxing time in a sunny park but is bothered by a creepy nerdy bloke. Early on we then see all is not as it seems. It sounds promising, and overall I could see what it was trying to do, but the basis of the story as it developed was silly, it telegraphed its ending like a beacon, and as a whole it somehow managed to be both half-baked and over-cooked. But most of the audience seemed to appreciate it. As I started to leave, I heard someone say "I really liked how it showed the male perspective on women in power". Which I thought was giving it some side it didn't deserve, but I'm sure he wasn't the only person to get something from it.

The performances were okay, Jon Shaw in particular. I've yet to see Sarah Manners be completely convincing on stage, but she wasn't bad. I liked the theatre, it's a nice dank-smelling little auditorium that seats about 80, the set was simple but effective, and generally (including FOH) there's a sense of a small space very well utilised. The staff are friendly and efficient. I'll definitely go back, I quite fancy the Dario Fo.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users