50 replies to this topic

#11 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Saw it last year at Chichester and enjoyed it but not as good as the Old Vic one a couple of years ago.

#12 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

This is one of my all time favourite plays. Anything to do with Pygmalion and My Fair Lady, I love!

Going to be trying to get tickets for it! Missed out when it was last in London over Christmas - as none of my mates wanted to go!

Well if it is the same this time, I will just go by myself.

#13 Guest_Achilles_*

Guest_Achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

So the wonderful Dame Diana Rigg is to play Mrs Higgins. Crikey I remember seeing her as Eliza with Alec McCowan

#14 Kathlene

Kathlene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostRain, on 09 March 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

I would love My Fair Lady to come back, but very happy with Pgymalion :D

Me too. :)

how to cure diarrhea
back ache
how to get rid of bronchitis
do it yourself carpet cleaning

#15 Guest_Jacqui_*

Guest_Jacqui_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Talking of My Fair Lady, I don't know why Alex Jennings' name has been mentioned as a potential Henry Higgins for the Cameron Mackintosh film remake that is supposed to be in the pipeline.

This would be a remake of an already classic film and whoever Mackintosh casts will have to go toe to toe with Rex Harrison, one of the greatest ever comedy actors. If that casting comes off badly, then the remake will flop.

The press bandy about names such as Daniel Day Lewis, Colin Firth, Rupert Everett etc, none of whom are completely bad, but they're not going to come anywhere near Rex Harrison. Apparently Hugh Grant been asked and won't do it. I can't see that its within his range myself (and his range is limited, as he'd admit).

As to Colin Firth and Rupert Everett, well, look at their remake of The Importance of Being Earnest. Vocal grooves for that type of language - all over the place. Timing? No sirree. It was beyond them and the film flopped as a result. This is not a film where the editing can save the actors and do the work for them in some scenes. You've got to be flawless with the language.

It needs a titanic actor with comic genius to boot. OK, so my shortlist reads Simon Russell Beale and Alex Jennings.

The latter has proven he can do it, in London and Paris (he even got the Olivier Award for it, despite taking over that role) so why not him? If, as the press suggest, the Eliza Doolittle is to be someone with proven box-office pull, like Keira Knightly or Carey Mulligan, then they will need some ballast in the Higgins role. There is no point in making an illiterate movie like that remake of The Importance of Being Earnest - the public will not buy it.

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Alex Jennings played Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady in Paris last year.

#17 Guest_Achilles_*

Guest_Achilles_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'd like to see James Purefoy as Higgins

#18 Guest_lishalinski_*

Guest_lishalinski_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hey I saw it last night and it was dreadful.  Pretty much everyone else was OK but that Tara woman was awful, I saw that she was from Eastenders but that was one of the worst Cockney accents I've ever seen. Her performance owes a lot to Audrey Hepburn (even deliberate pronounciations of words exactly like hers), and she is not a good actress.

I can however explain to you why it's transferring.  It's sponsored by American Airlines, and will run over the summer when most theatres can't fill, until September.  So they probably got a good rate from the theatre.  Clearly they're aiming to pull in the tourist crowd who have no idea what a Cockney accent sounds like and Pygmalion is such a classic English play to see.  Even so, I doubt they'll make money on it.  Whoever plays her dad was great and so was Diana Rigg, Rupert Everett was OK too, but for the lead to be so crap ruins it for everyone.

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

Her name, I believe, is Kara. What would a good Cockney accent sound like? Eliza doesn't come from the East End but from Lisson Grove, a few minutes walk from Marylebone. No reason at all why she should sound anything like a modern Cockney, if such a thing still exists.

It's transferring because it's a well-known play with a well-known lead who hasn't done any stage work in London for a long long time (when was Everett last on stage here? There was a revival of The Vortex many years ago but I can't remember anything for the last 20 years or so) so many people will be curious to see him. I'd be surprised if it doesn't make money - the Garrick has a good record of knowing what it's doing with that sort of thing. Look at the recent success of When We Are Married which they managed to persuade everyone had a starry cast of A-listers...

#20 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

i saw it this evening and rupert everett was the weakest link. simon ward was off - his understudy was very good

kara tointen was fantastic!!!!!!!!

the set was very good, but i didnt think much to the flurecent mottling that they had put onto the set!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users