Pygmalion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostMillie Dillmount, on 14 May 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

i saw it this evening and rupert everett was the weakest link. simon ward was off - his understudy was very good

kara tointen was fantastic!!!!!!!!

the set was very good, but i didnt think much to the flurecent mottling that they had put onto the set!

I love Pygmalion. I saw it years ago. Great play. I love the beautiful Audrey Hepburn but I've only seen the film and hate it. Would it be worth seeing a stage production?

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

I saw this on friday and adored it....I think Kara Tointon is brilliant and I really liked Ruper Everetts different take on Higgins. It was also amazing to see Diana Rigg on stage who just shone out as Mrs Higgins...I think this will be very  popular. It was a full house.

#23 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

Is it still the giant bookcases and red carpet they had in Chichester?

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

View PostGuest, on 14 May 2011 - 11:21 PM, said:

I love Pygmalion. I saw it years ago. Great play. I love the beautiful Audrey Hepburn but I've only seen the film and hate it. Would it be worth seeing a stage production?

O yes indeed, the stage play is usually very good, more complex than the movie. This one seems to be having mixed reactions but basically it sounds ok so go.

#25 Olly 2288

Olly 2288

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film, photography, theatre, Joss Whedon.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Does anyone know how much can be said the for the rumours of Angela Lansbury joining the cast late in the season? I pray it's true, she'd really be a huge pull for me to fork out to see the play! There's some great stuff on this year, it's difficult trying to prioritise what to go for!
When Harry Met Sally (Theatre Royal Haymarket, 2005), Some Girls (Gieldgud, 2005), Billy Elliot (Victoria Palace, 2006), Much Ado About Nothing (The Globe, 2006), Metamorphosis (Lyric, 2006), Awake and Sing! (Almeida, 2007), The Lion King (Lyceum, 2009), Antony and Cleopatra (Liverpool Playhouse, 2010), The Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre, 2011), In A Forest Dark And Deep (Vaudeville, 2011), Gross und Klein (Barbican, 2012)

#26 Guest_VDCNI_*

Guest_VDCNI_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

Lansbury did an interview lately where she said she wanted to come to London and do a west end run but she said she wanted it to be at the Haymarket - because her mother appeared there I think.

#27 Myself205

Myself205

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

am going to see the play later in June and I was wondering if the theatre sells poster of the play. I usually buy poster and programms from the play but not all theatres sell the posters. Thanks in advance

#28 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

I saw this play tonight. I thought it was goodish. I hadn't seen Rupert Everet on stage for 20 yrs, so I wasn't sure whether he was up to it, but he was pretty good.

I thought it must be very difficult for Kara not to imitate AH in the film version.

I didn't realise the film version changed the ending fromn Shaw's book.  

Did the understudy who was playing Mr. Dolittle have problems with his liines, or he was meant to stumble like that?

#29 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

View PostVDCNI, on 23 May 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

Lansbury did an interview lately where she said she wanted to come to London and do a west end run but she said she wanted it to be at the Haymarket - because her mother appeared there I think.

Hmm ... Follies will be on at the Haymarket!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#30 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Just back from press night and thought I'd get my view in before the reviews come out tomorrow!

Overall, a very mediocre production, with staggeringly unsatisfactory and unimaginative direction. Very static staging, nothing new, and quite a bizarre and illogical design.

Rupert Everett gives an arrogant performance that is sadly completely lacking in any emotional depth or complexity, with him seemingly regurgitating lines rather than putting any thought or real expression into them - for me a real disappointment and definitely the weakest in the cast. Perhaps he was giving a performance that would have been wonderful with extreme facial close ups, but in the theatre it came off, for me, as amateur.

Kara Tointon does rather better. Not in anyway revelatory, but she finds the comedy well and manages to play off Everett's dull performance successfully. A confident and laudable stage debut. The rest of the cast are nothing remarkable. Colonel Pickering predictable and serviceable at best, Diana Rigg making the most of things, and some terrible overacting by other members of the cast, especially Helen Millar who, I have to say, was very nearly laughable in the way she milked every single moment and gave what I thought was quite a cheap performance as Clara Eynsford-Hill.

So, a shame really. Perhaps worth a cheap ticket, but don't rush to see this. I'll be interested to see what the professional critics have to say in the morning.

PS. Louis Spence in the row in front of me demonstrated the attention span of a 4 year old and fidgeted throughout as such. And Nadia Sawalha replied to a text message she received half way through Act 2 - shameful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users