#1 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

my predictions, based on the first show
(not necessarily what i want to happen, but what i think will)

fran to win
sarah and keisha (or possibly samantha) in the final

rachel will be the daniel - ie eliminated to pave the way for francesca

jodie will be the one to get on everyone's nerves

tara and amy in the sing off this week; i think alw will save amy

no doubt i'll be totally wrong, but worth a shot.

e2a: i forgot to say: barry humphries - why is he there?
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#2 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi Haz - I posted about the show on another thread, but good idea to have one for this particular show.

I wonder about Tara (is that Professional Wrestler's Daughter Nancy?)  I thought the song was a disastrous choice, which gave no indication at all if she could do the part. But those baby pics were fantastic and she had great legs, so that could save her.  

Interesting that we both have Amy in the bottom two. I think it highly unlikely that any of the less fit/cuddly Nancys will get through to the final 4 or 5, you can see ALW lose interest when they are on.

Barry Humphries does add a surreal quality to the panel.

#3 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

tara's vocal irritated the crap out of me. every line ended in "suddenly i seeeeAH". i also didnt really see any nancy-relevance in her performance (thought most of the others showed at least one side of nancy's personality)

the cynical part of me also thinks they'd like to secure all of the welsh vote for francesca, rather than having it split between the two of them.

barry humphries adds nothing by being there, IMO. alw already has the pervy old man role down!

#4 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Mar 29 2008, 08:20 PM) View Post
rachel will be the daniel - ie eliminated to pave the way for francesca

I love the term "the Daniel", and I think you're right.

I wasn't as impressed with Francesca Jackson as I wanted to be based on what I'd seen in the series so far. She was good and her experience shows through, there's no question of that, but she struggled slightly in places.

I hadn't intended to vote at all this week but then Sarah Lark pushed me into it. I doubt she'll win the part of Nancy, but I think she's the one that most deserves to get work out of this. Aw hell, I'll vote twice. [Matthew hits redial.]

Graham Norton got the "Nancy" joke out of the way. Good. May it never return.

I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#5 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Mar 29 2008, 08:38 PM) View Post
I hadn't intended to vote at all this week but then Sarah Lark pushed me into it. I doubt she'll win the part of Nancy, but I think she's the one that most deserves to get work out of this. Aw hell, I'll vote twice. [Matthew hits redial.]

i agree - i thought her performance was really lovely. interesting that they haven't played up the link between her and john barrowman in the same way as they have with francesca and dvo (though i appreciate the latter was much more recent, and that they were working much more - ahem - closely)

interestingly i had dinner with one my clients earlier this week, who got down to the final 18, and she had ashley picked out as the one to watch. the scottish vote can certainly have a big impact - see keith jack and, god help us, the mcdonald brothers.

#6 Guest_jonjo_*

Guest_jonjo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

I wasn't as impressed with Francesca Jackson as I wanted to be based on what I'd seen in the series so far. She was good and her experience shows through, there's no question of that, but she struggled slightly in places.

Although the bland Daniel Boys himself hardly shone in the Joseph series much. Only much later did he show good talent and he has developed well on Ave Q

#7 Jessie

Jessie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

I completely agree with you actually, but I see Tara as "the Lewis/the Helena" very annoying singer but will by some strange occurrence get further than she should do, personally, I think she should be first out.

#8 jimee1987

jimee1987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Graham Norton got the "Nancy" joke out of the way. Good. May it never return.

I have to say I agree with you, (I think that may be a first).
I thought Sarah sang beautifully and really deserves to get at least something from this show.
Also from what everyone has said I was expecting to be a lot more impressed with Francesca then I was. In fact I was really unimpressed with her performance as I was with a few of them, including Cleo, Tara and Jessie.
"Condoms don't even go with lasagne"

#9 NoahsAark

NoahsAark

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(jonjo @ Mar 29 2008, 08:45 PM) View Post
Although the bland Daniel Boys himself hardly shone in the Joseph series much. Only much later did he show good talent and he has developed well on Ave Q

I never thought Daniel was bland - he was given rubbish songs and only showed his true ability in the 'sing off' with a proper musical theatre song.  But that's just what I think tongue.gif

Why can they not give them musical theatre songs to sing ... there's such a great variety to choose from.

I enjoyed Rachel's performance tonight which makes me fear she may well be 'The Daniel' of this year!!

#10 Guest_DeNada_*

Guest_DeNada_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

Barrie Humphries has nothing useful to say at all, it's most embarrassing.  At least the others say something mildly critical occasionally, if he's just going to sit there and say how lovely everyone is yet accidentally insult them (calling poor Niamh a Morticia look alike!) I'm going to spend parts of the show cringing in agony.

Olivers-wise, I feel awful saying this but they've put through a child whose accent is currently so thick you could tarmac a road with it!  Maybe they'll have him put on another accent if he does get cast but if you can't understand the dialogue from the main character of the show what the hell are you supposed to do?  Then again, they might end up casting three 13 year old Olivers whose voices all break before the show even opens...

It's a relief, however, that Nancy is a mezzo part - after what I thought was a fiasco of constantly getting the Marias to sing belty pop songs when they were supposed to be sopranos, at least the Nancys have the appropriate vocal ranges for the stuff they're getting here.

Anyway, on a performance by perfomance basis (all in my opinion obviously and I have become scarily analytical despite having virtually no acting talent myself and certainly no ability as a casting director!)

Jessie - great belting, looks like a robot on stage, hope they can work on that as she's not bad

Jodie - you can tell she's done a lot of cabaret, she needs to drop the vocal affectations and slightly nudge-nudge-wink-wink performance style before I can take her seriously

Tara - great stage presence but it was like watching a panto with all that excessive smiling - maybe if she held back a bit more (or had a more theatrical song to sing?) she'd be better

Ashley - I can't even remember this performance, totally uninteresting.

Amy - least favourite performance of the night.  Not a powerhouse-enough vocal and the strutting didn't convince me - I totally agreed with Andrew's comment that he couldn't tell whether she'd be any good as Nancy because she didn't (couldn't, perhaps, due to the song) do any acting at all.

Keisha - wow, where did she come from?  Did we see her at all in the audition shows?  Completely different tone from everything else but I loved her performance.  Hope she gets far.

Francesca - tried to make a rather boring ballad vocally bombastic and didn't really get away with it - bum notes mixed in with all that melisma-ing.  Lovely acting, though.  Hope she doesn't feel the pressure too much, although this wasn't great she was easily my favourite from the audition shows.

Rachel - probably had the most difficult job of the night in belting a high, up-tempo pop song, and pulled it off with aplomb.  Very nice.

Samantha - sure, she looked hot and sang well, but no acting and not much stage presence.

Sarah - best of the night.  Beautifully sung, beautifully acted, just all round beautiful.  Be interesting to see if she can "raunch it up" a bit, though.

Cleo - bit naff, really.  Totally disagreed with the panel on her acting.

Niamh - every time she appears I think "aaaw, bless".  She seems so young and fragile, although she did sing well.  I can't buy her as Nancy, personally, but maybe she'll prove me wrong.

My picks for the bottom two would be Cleo and Amy, although if everyone forgets about Ashley like I did maybe she won't get many votes!

I've only seen bits of Joseph, but the standard seems higher here than the first Maria live show - Helena and Laura were much ropier in that first show than any of the girls here.  Certainly nothing as embarrassing as the poor kid on Joseph cracking every time he tried to hit the top B flat in Patience whenever that was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users