61 replies to this topic

#21 sanderling

sanderling

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

I'm surprised at the positive reactions to the show, I thought they were universally ordinary. To find that, after all these rounds of elimination, there are still girls in the final twelve who can't hit notes is disappointing to say the least.

Face it, this process is nothing but hype. The judges are bound to be gushingly complimentary because to be otherwise would expose the truth - which is that without the exaggerated sense of occasion generated by the voting, the sob-stories, the hysterical audience and the manipulation of emotion, these kids aren't worth a prime-time spot.

#22 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Just watching the sing off show.  Not surprised that Amy is in the sing off....

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

Francesca - does she not understand the need for diction?  I think I heard about 3 consonants from her...

#24 Guest_GUEST_*

Guest_GUEST_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 30 2008, 07:01 PM) View Post
Francesca - does she not understand the need for diction?  I think I heard about 3 consonants from her...

I thought she was outstanding. very moving, with great integrity and i cant imagine the pressure they were both under. The right girl went and the wrong girl was in the bottom two. and i wasnt even a fan of francesca until now.

#25 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Given the two in the sing-off, it was the right result

But I would have put Cleo in there rather than Amy

#26 damedave

damedave

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

Francesca should have gone. Her mouth and singing voice annoys me. Shes only there because of Denise....but if were talking the worst person, it should have been Cleo going....not the one who did....Interesting that Francesca isnt very popular...

As usual, the 'goodbye' song was typically excruciating to watch!

#27 Guest_Guest_Bobbydazzler_*_*

Guest_Guest_Bobbydazzler_*_*
  • Guests

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Mar 30 2008, 07:12 PM) View Post
Given the two in the sing-off, it was the right result

But I would have put Cleo in there rather than Amy

i agree - and maybe Tara!!

#28 Guest_itsmebaby_*

Guest_itsmebaby_*
  • Guests

QUOTE(sanderling @ Mar 30 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post
I'm surprised at the positive reactions to the show, I thought they were universally ordinary. To find that, after all these rounds of elimination, there are still girls in the final twelve who can't hit notes is disappointing to say the least.

Face it, this process is nothing but hype. The judges are bound to be gushingly complimentary because to be otherwise would expose the truth - which is that without the exaggerated sense of occasion generated by the voting, the sob-stories, the hysterical audience and the manipulation of emotion, these kids aren't worth a prime-time spot.

The number of times in professional shows in the WE and on Broadway where experienced performers hit bum notes is staggering too.

Despoite the well-worn "arguments" about this sort of show I bet you still watch the process I bet! If for nothing else but to moan about it and give yourself a feeling of importance.

#29 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

There is one thing missing from the concept (and has been from the start) and that is any real acting tests

It should be an integral part of each show - it is not just about acting through the songs

I know why they choose majority pop records for this type of show but there is a wealth of great music theatre numbers that should make up at least half of each evening.

ALW seems to really connect with Jessie and Rachel - which will stand them in good stead - but I don't see either of them as a Nancy.

I know many think that Jodie is too cabaret - but there is some real about her for me.  I can see her storming the theatre with Oom Pah Pah and bringing me to tears with As Long As...

It will not be a predictable series - and given that there is 6 months from the end of the show until opening night, the scope for giving someone without the professional experience intensive coaching is there.

#30 Guest_itsmebaby_*

Guest_itsmebaby_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Mar 30 2008, 07:21 PM) View Post
There is one thing missing from the concept (and has been from the start) and that is any real acting tests

It should be an integral part of each show - it is not just about acting through the songs

I agree in theory but for most of the viewers, watching them acting things will be about as dull as can be. I would certainly turn off. I think it is fair to assume they are given acting tasks in the week which are then watched by the panel for their future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users