- - - - -

Week One Live Show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Pauline Fowler_*

Guest_Pauline Fowler_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Sorry but Francesca did deserve to be in the sing-off. Her dreadful attempt at Hero was all over the place. She can't pitch, she has NO diction and as one of the "professionals" in the show she did herself no favours. Her over the top performance was just awful.

#32 Jessie

Jessie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Thankfully Amy's gone. Tara to go next week please, her performance made me cringe.

#33 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

I thought Amy did a good job in the sing off and was the better of the two.  I strongly suspect Francesca is already earmarked by the panel/ALW/Cam Mack as someone they would like to champion to win otherwise how could he have chosen her over Amy based on that performance?
I won't be called a baggage!

#34 hunter

hunter

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I would have had Amy & Tara in the bottom two, with Tara to go.

#35 Guest_Guest_Princess_*_*

Guest_Guest_Princess_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(sanderling @ Mar 30 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post
I'm surprised at the positive reactions to the show, I thought they were universally ordinary. To find that, after all these rounds of elimination, there are still girls in the final twelve who can't hit notes is disappointing to say the least.

I agree. Are the BBC/ALW seriusly expecting us to believe out of all the thousands of girls that "auditioned" up and down the country that the "best" 12 girls include one who has worked with DVO but cant actually pitch?!
Francesca obviously has a speech imediment of sorts but that aside her performance was very dull. Maybe she is best suited to Rock musicals?
The only one with actual stage presence and talent in the show are Rachel and Sarah. 2 very Different performances but at least they had some spark.

we shall see how is pans out but i think you may be right in thinking it is a done deal already!

Isn't anyone else thinking it is a bit odd that no one has mentioned the free advertising these shows get when other independant shows who cast professional performers through the normal channels are struggling to draw in the crowds? AM i right in thinking that the BBC doesnt advertise?!!

#36 Guest_ManchesterJason_*

Guest_ManchesterJason_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

It seems that people had formed opinions on Francesca before she had even sung! She quite clearly did not to deserve to be in the bottom two and the press were out to get her before she had even started!

There are a lot of talented girls in the show this year and if given the chance I believe Francesca can hold her own amongst them! From seeing her in Rent she has a beautiful husky jazzy voice and if given the right material will really shine!

I thinhttp://www.whatsonstage.com/board/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gifk it is unfair how people have formed opinions, and hope that people will judge the girls on their own individual merit and not read too much into fickle tabloid press!

But all in all what a great competition, the standard is much higher than Maria!

Can't wait till saturday!  smile.gif

#37 Guest_si_*

Guest_si_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE(ManchesterJason @ Mar 31 2008, 01:06 AM) View Post
There are a lot of talented girls in the show this year and if given the chance I believe Francesca can hold her own amongst them! From seeing her in Rent she has a beautiful husky jazzy voice and if given the right material will really shine!

There is quite a difference in musical styles between Rent and Oliver!  And whilst she might have a husky, jazzy voice - that isn't a voice that suits the music written by Lionel Bart imho

I am hoping that this series will allow someone to shine who isn't from the Drama school background - it would be a huge result if someone with real talent was found and could make it through to the top - without having spent thousands of pounds on training (which can produce a lot of consistent - but not very individual - performers)

*runs and hides*

#38 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(si @ Mar 31 2008, 09:59 AM) View Post
There is quite a difference in musical styles between Rent and Oliver!  And whilst she might have a husky, jazzy voice - that isn't a voice that suits the music written by Lionel Bart imho

I am hoping that this series will allow someone to shine who isn't from the Drama school background - it would be a huge result if someone with real talent was found and could make it through to the top - without having spent thousands of pounds on training (which can produce a lot of consistent - but not very individual - performers)

*runs and hides*

Lovely sentiment but I would prefer to see someone who has gone through training and worked hard at their craft on the stage giving a polished and reliable performance than someone from nowhere who is more likely to struggle with the demands of the role.  Of course trained people sometimes struggle and untrained people was surprise you but as a general likelihood I think a trained performer would be the better option.
I won't be called a baggage!

#39 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

I have worked with some incredibly talented people who have not gone through drama school.  The vast majority of people cannot afford the fees of such institutions and it shouldn't be the only route into the business.

#40 Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*

Guest_Guest_JIJane_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Oxford Simon @ Mar 31 2008, 10:53 AM) View Post
I have worked with some incredibly talented people who have not gone through drama school.  The vast majority of people cannot afford the fees of such institutions and it shouldn't be the only route into the business.

I see your point Simon but "training" does not necessarily have to mean drama school. You can work extremely hard for years with a very good singing teacher who is in the business and take regular classes at renowned dance studios, as well as work with high standard amateur groups and take one to one or group acting classes. The shocking truth is though that if you add it all up over the years, drama school actually manages to be CHEAPER (yes, hard to believe I know) than not going. If you get funding (a DADA) that is. Otherwise the fees are ridiculously high for any mere mortal, granted. The one huge bonus that drama school of course offers is - a very well-attended showcase to (possibly) make very unseful contacts. And that's what you ultimately pay for I think.

Even if not been at drama school, someone who has not had a considerable amount of stage experience in same way or other (meaning having done some sort of "run" or other longer than a couple of days, whether it's NYMT, YMT, many shows with high level amateur groups, etc), had years of singing lessons with a decent teacher and trained in dance to a decent level - should not really have a shot at a West End MT lead as the risk is just too great and they will most likely not be up to the required standard night after night. Look at what happened to Connie - who was trained. But then that's what happens when you throw someone in there who hasn't worked their way up through the chorus ranks and built up their stamina. It's all a risky and dangerous game and there is a reason why the large majority of West End leads - were at one point in the chorus, doing bit parts or understudy, simply to build up to being able to do a WE lead 8 shows a week without damaging themselves in one way or another.

Manchester Jason - there is a reason why you have to pay to reach a high level of training - in ANY profession. Just look at what lawyers, bankers and doctors have to pay out in training fees. Getting a pilot licence for example costs a small fortune. It's no different for MT, if you want to make it and be the best you have to invest in good teachers and decent training. And they will cost you, whether it's at drama school or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users