- - - - -

Week One Live Show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_GUEST_*

Guest_GUEST_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

There seems to be alot of Francesca "targeting" on this board.

Granted she wasnt exceptional on saturday but she was solid and apart being sharp on one difficult note (in a mariah carey song!!!!! - what i wouldnt give!!!) she didnt deserve to be in the bottom two and certainly doesnt deserve all this critism from people on here who clearly dont know what it takes to perform 8 shows a week in a musical, and in a situation like saturday and sunday night. i thought there were FAR weaker performances.

i think the girls have got to where they are in the careers and on this programme cos they have got something about them and i wish i had the ability and the guts to get up in front of millions and go for my dreams - and i would hate to think of those girls reading these boards and witnessing people shredding them and their talent. it would make me cry and throw up.

maybe its part of the job and its what they signed up for. but all the same i think it takes a particular type of person to critique someone (and i must say, in general, on here its almost always discussing the negatives of a person) and i hope you realise that all of the girls - particularly the professionals - will probably read these at SOME point.

Rant over. Sorry.

#52 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

with all due respect, if any of the girls on that show can't take criticism, then they're in the wrong job.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#53 Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*

Guest_Guest_hitster_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Has Francesca's voice fully recovered yet, she had the illness that was going around the Rent cast and then had another chesy infection during the auditions so maybe her voice still isn't 100%. At least being professionally trained she will know how to cope with this and maybe has to sing in her safety range. On these auditions we don't need people doing Mariah, Whitney, Shirley Bassey numbers holding notes, Keisha did a Noel Cowerd song which was a really original choice and showed another side to her. Allowing them to choose their own songs was a good idea and hopefully ALW will choose them good songs in the future.

#54 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

did they choose their own songs?

and rent closed two months ago. i don't really think an illness from then can still be used as an excuse.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#55 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(GUEST @ Apr 1 2008, 11:16 AM) View Post
There seems to be alot of Francesca "targeting" on this board.

Granted she wasnt exceptional on saturday but she was solid and apart being sharp on one difficult note (in a mariah carey song!!!!! - what i wouldnt give!!!) she didnt deserve to be in the bottom two and certainly doesnt deserve all this critism from people on here who clearly dont know what it takes to perform 8 shows a week in a musical, and in a situation like saturday and sunday night. i thought there were FAR weaker performances.

Sorry, but there was more than one note out of tune! Her intonation was consistently poor throughout which made me think that there was maybe a problem with the foldback on stage. Check it out on BBC iPlayer if you wish! Her diction was also poor and overall I think she deserved to be in the bottom two and in fact I think she was lucky to survive. I think that Amy's acting was stronger (but she also had problems with intonation).

After what I had previously read about her (Fran) on here, quite frankly I expected her to be a lot better!
It's not a case of targeting as you put it. Surely the girls know that they will be critiqued by every Tom, Dick & Harry every step of the way. I still think however that the whole thing turns into a popularity contest in the end!

#56 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

"I still think however that the whole thing turns into a popularity contest in the end!"

Which is exactly why it is so wrong to get the public involved in "casting" a West End lead in the first place.

#57 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Apr 1 2008, 03:07 PM) View Post
Which is exactly why it is so wrong to get the public involved in "casting" a West End lead in the first place.

From a business point of it's not a bad idea at all.  Musicals are business.  Ok some artistic integrity may be lost if the public choose wrong but the bank balances are likely to bulge.  Win for the public who voted, win for the producers but lose for the minority who actually care about the artistic side.
I won't be called a baggage!

#58 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

So sad that those people who care about the quality of the art are now a minority group!!!

#59 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 1 2008, 05:32 PM) View Post
So sad that those people who care about the quality of the art are now a minority group!!!

Well, I probably exaggerate a bit.......
I won't be called a baggage!

#60 Guest_Guest_thecrucible_*_*

Guest_Guest_thecrucible_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

I know this thread is getting older now but I couldn't resisting posting my (entirely subjective) thoughts on Saturday's performances:

1) Jessie - strong performance on her solo but noticed in the later group number (Sound of the Underground) she gave exactly the same performance (aggressive leaning forward, singing out the side of her mouth) - makes me think she might be a bit limited in her playing range

2) Jodie - trying very hard to shake off the cabaret singer image and deliver an acting performance and I thought she succeeded - heartfelt, simple and unaffected - put her way up in my estimation

3) Tara - I couldn't see anything interesting in her performance, to be honest - bad song for acting, I'll admit - but very stagey and quite a thin voice I thought

4) Ashley - big personality, big voice but agree with DVO that she was going too full out on it - also, her diction was appalling (as were lots of the girls - was shocked no one mentioned it. Whatever you think of Zoe Tyler, she would have picked up on that!)

5) Rachel - a bit shouty for me, to be honest, but a big, gutsy performance and one which would hit the back of Drury Lane for sure - I've also seen her perform in other shows and she is good, just lacking a little colour in her voice which the additional training on the programme could help her find

6) Francesca - yes, I was a bit disappointed in her performance - I love her voice, love her personality but her "Hero" was not great (bland would be my problem with it) - thought she did give the better sing off performance (more controlled, more emotionally engaged than Amy) and hope she uses a dodgy first week to come back fighting next time

7) Cleo - why did they compliment her acting? I didn't see any acting in her performance and I think she would struggle to vocally maintain 6 - 8 shows a week

8) Keisha - a lovely surprise because we'd seen so little of her before but she had the best song - and at least that song did start life in a musical (or at least featured in one of Noel Coward's shows) so she had good material to work with - will be interesting to see her perform something less "sophisticated" and "jazzy"

9) Sarah - beautiful voice, well told story but something was missing in terms of raw emotional connection - to connect that song to a potential Nancy performance, I think she'd have been better playing it more desperate, really reaching for that person to "get here" - but still a really gorgeous quality to her voice

10) Samantha - the girl can wear hotpants and she delivered the song well - if she'd been on X Factor, I think she'd have been rightly applauded for that performance but I'm not sure it showed whether she can communicate through song - tell a story

11) Niamh - heartfelt, emtionally connected performance but I think too small to carry to the back of Drury Lane - of the younger performer, I think she is the one who comes across as the youngest (as well as being actually the youngest) - where Jessie and Samantha seem older when they perform, Niamh seems like a mature 17 year old - not sure if that equips her to handle the task of being a West End leading lady

12) Amy - tuning problems on Respect which didn't seem to be commented on and a sharp quality in the sing off which contrasted unfavourably for me with Francesca's apparent warmth. Flaming good rendition of As Long as He Needs Me at the end though - just give them show songs to sing - the pop songs don't help us see their real potential!

And finally, loving the random aspects of Andrew Lloyd Webber - he seemed genuinely more interested in his jellied eels - and the affection Graham Norton obviously has for him. Loving the potentially slightly surreal aspect of Barry Humphries and although he does come across as a dirty old man, he's a much nicer dirty old man than David Ian!

But I do miss a vocal expert on the panel - whether it should have been Zoe Tyler or not, that's not for me to say - but I miss having the performances analysed technically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users