#1 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I've only been to the SP once since it moved to its current location but have now booked for a few of the productions in the current season. After a phase of not booking for site-specific stuff I've just booked for one production being staged in a hotel, and am tempted by the Macbeth they're staging in an underground prison. And I've also booked for a production in which half the audience are blindfolded. So my penchant for these kinds of oddities seems to have returned after a hiatus.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#2 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

Attended the Sunday Morning production on Saturday Afternoon. I opted for the blindfold, put it on and got led into the auditorium and shown to my seat by a very nice cast member. The first half-hour or so of the 60-minute production was interesting, purely for the experience; a breakfast scene is accompanied by the sound and smell of toast, someone having a bath means we heard splashing and got the smell of soap, mention of a cat was followed by something furry swishing past our ankles. At one point, when the narrator said, "She's been on her feet all day and they feel really hot" I tensed myself up for the sound of shoes being removed and the stench of steaming socks, but it didn't happen.

At times there were random bursts of aromas that didn't seem to link with the narrative, e.g. TCP a couple of times.

But the second half-hour was repetitive, I felt I'd got it by then, and because the play was a slice-of-life piece rather than  a story there was nothing new to drive it along. But it was a good experience and for £6, worth it.

As I left I was amused by the sight of a blindfolded couple still sitting to attention, while everyone left. Perhaps they thought they had to be led back out of the auditorium as well. They might still be there now.

Heh heh heh, look at this forum. For most of the last 2 weeks, it's been mainly me talking to myself. This board really is all about West End/NT/Almeida/Royal Court plays and musicals isn't it. At least in terms of active posters anyway. This forum is where I come to be alone!
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#3 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hope you don't mind people watching you while you think you're alone. I don't talk much about fringe theatre, 'cos I don't see as much as I'd like and the stuff I do see isn't often talked about, but I do enjoy reading other people's posts. As long as they're talking about the things they've seen and not their kind of semi-smug pseudo-despair that - heavens! - a lot of people go to popular shows in big theatres. ;)
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#4 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

That sounded really barbed and unnecessary. I'm aggrieved if my post came across negatively and caused you to make that remark.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#5 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Oh, I'm sorry I came across as barbed and unnecessary. I've never been very good at Mondays, I was only aiming for a little tease. Please do continue posting about the things you see, it's often the only way many of us can experience them! :)

#6 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

That's fine, but just think about choice of words -  even with a winking emoticon 'semi smug' doesn't sound very teasing, you know. No, I've never let the desolate wind, tumbleweed and the echo of my own voice in here stop me talking to the void about fringe stuff.

It's interesting though, there are so many fringe venues all over the Greater London area and its surrounding districts, all of us must be near at least one or two of them, they're usually very cheap, often have quirky or unusual work going on, but it doesn't seem to draw many of us on this board.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#7 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Well, I'm definitely nearer a regional than a fringe, although I did go to see a man do a monologue in a pub last night. It was excellent, though sadly the final performance.

I think this board's problem is circular - a lot of people wanting to talk about fringe know there's not much traffic here, so post it in play or musical as appropriate, so the traffic never increases. Don't know how you could fix it though, short of mods moving all threads as appropriate.

#8 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Last night I saw their Antigone and enjoyed it. Recent Guildhall graduate Eleanor Wyld played the title role with beautifully controlled passion, and Jamie Glover was a great Kreon, veering from ease and charm to boiling rage. Some lovely singing from the chorus. Simple and effective design, that distressed concrete and sand look that along with the story itself makes it unavoidable thinking of recent events such as Syria. Indeed, they have a modern setting that reinforces that feeling. There was one wrong note, an odd and interesting one too - Edward Petherbridge's awkward, hammy and declamatory Tiresias which was so jarring among the otherwise excellent young cast.

Really starting to love going to the SP, I'm booking into almost all their productions now - they still have their 'airline pricing' system which means the further ahead you book the cheaper it is - usually £8/12/16 or £10/15/20 depending on the production. I like their gloomy bar with its care-worn couches and I'm exploring more of the local area each time and growing to like it more.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#9 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

I've booked for four productions in the latest season.  

Having moved to this venue not very long ago, they're faced with almost certainly having to move again due to extensive redevelopment of London Bridge station and many of the properties adjoining it.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#10 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Having seen and enjoyed several Doug Lucie plays, I read The Shallow End years ago and thought it sharp and interesting, so am tempted. Having seen one dud Philip Ridley play at the Soho Theatre a few years ago, which reviews had praised as 'edgy' etc., I'm not exactly itching to watch another of his. The play about Milk's killer could be interesting, but that Geoffrey Chaucer will never amount to anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users