#21 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

I saw Execution of Justice last week and enjoyed it, but felt a little detached from it, which might've been due to my feeling unwell. It's well staged and has some good  performances, and has that compelling quality courtroom dramas can often possess. But at the end I didn't feel it had taken me anywhere.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#22 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

The Shallow End was okay... extremely superficial with quite predictable caricatures of tabloid hacks and editors (the perma-grinning editor character was really annoying) and the female characters come off very badly, even the most potentially sympathetic one is given a casual line about a sexual act that is gratuitous and adds nothing to anything. There are one or two good performances though. Overall it was reasonably entertaining but I wouldn't heartily recommend it. I suppose someone thought it would stand a revival what with the current attention to unscrupulous tabloid practices but a brand new play would make more sense.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#23 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

I found Floyd Collins disappointing. It was a bit of a bipolar evening. I liked some of the music, and some of the straight scenes, and loved how they used the full depth of the vault space. I really like the vault anyway and its damp-smelling gloominess seemed ideal for this piece. The staging generally was good, nice use of the ladders. But I couldn't hear some of the dialogue and a fair bit of the lyrics, and while some of the music was nice most of the actual songs were dull and uninteresting. A few of the accents were a bit cringe-inducing. Although there were positives, on balance it didn't work for me.

I did however discover Vela, the high-tech Vietnamese cafe further up Tooley Street. Although there are eateries aplenty in that area I'm not especially inspired by any of them, though there's a pretty good Thai place along that same stretch. But I'm on a major Vietnamese kick at the moment and especially enjoying comparing different banh-mi. Mind you, I didn't end up having that and opted for rice vermicelli with chicken which was very tasty, and I tried their peculiar-sounding coconut-sweetcorn pudding which was actually not bad. Everything's very reasonably priced and it all looks good. They have touch screens which you can use to order and pay which must be useful when it's busy, then you watch your order's progress on a screen over the counter, a bit like Argos.

I think I've just got Shivered left to go in this season.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users