12 replies to this topic

#1 actup

actup

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

if the decesion went on the sing off amy was robbed she acted the song and performed the song so much better, pitching can be sorted, seem like francesca is destined to be pushed through, is so nfair some of the song chices there given too, as for nancy with edge most of them seem to be quiet surface, find the truth in the songs, go jodie for that, seems the pro's seem to be the ones who have lack of feeling and reality etc

cleo is alkward and struggling yet one of the most intresting to watch hope se grows with it

#2 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

i didn't see the results show, so can't comment - but are you honestly surprised?
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#3 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Amy knew as soon as she was up against Francesca that she was out - it would have been the same for almost any of them.

I know it comes down to the edit and the story they want to tell - but Francesca was shown as having been given a free pass through one of the selection points and has worked closely with one of the judges.  Given the small size of the West End community, such things are inevitable.

If Francesca does end up in the bottom 2 again (and I have a feeling that is quite possible given the diction and pitching problems that were evident) then the other contestant will immediately feel at a disadvantage - which is wrong IMHO

Amy was not the worst on opening night.  Cleo and Tara both gave weaker performances - but c'est la vie.  Amy has worked professionally, I am sure she will get future work.  I was never convinced she was a Nancy - but I can say the same of several of the others.

#4 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Of the two I wish Francesca went ~ Amy gave a better performance. Francesca may be a professional but that doesn't make her right for the role or close to it ~ it's obvious she's not popular with the public (perhaps due to her somewhat unfair earlier reprieve).   I didn't like the comment that Amy would be good for 'comedy'... perhaps but perhaps they put too much into looks as it seems the plainest girl exited... ? But I can't comment further ~ after all I didn't vote. I think Josie & Jessie are favourites. Part of me would like to see Josie win but part of me thinks Jessie is better suited... early days...

#5 Guest_Benchy_*

Guest_Benchy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Elle @ Apr 1 2008, 03:33 PM) View Post
Of the two I wish Francesca went ~ Amy gave a better performance. Francesca may be a professional but that doesn't make her right for the role or close to it ~ it's obvious she's not popular with the public (perhaps due to her somewhat unfair earlier reprieve).   I didn't like the comment that Amy would be good for 'comedy'... perhaps but perhaps they put too much into looks as it seems the plainest girl exited... ? But I can't comment further ~ after all I didn't vote. I think Josie & Jessie are favourites. Part of me would like to see Josie win but part of me thinks Jessie is better suited... early days...

Personally I feel in the sing off that Francesca was a class above with her vocal performance. Amy was out of tune. People keep saying that anyone would feel at a disadvantage against Francesca but I feel that due to the tabloids great efforts that she is the one at a disadvantage. Its not her fault that she has starred in RENT with DVA. She has as much right as anyone to audition for the role of Nancy. She is a fantastic performer and I feel her performance last week was due to her being highlighted in the press. She wasn't great, she did go out of tune but I am sure she will fight back this week and prove herself.

From personal experience she is a lovely person and a fantastic musical actress. I think the negative exposure Fran has received has put her at a massive disadvantage. So many other professional actresses have auditioned. Some in the top 12 but don't seem to have been exposed as much as Fran

I don't think Amy should have been in the bottom two either. There were other much weaker. And I am not sure why Jessie is so popular. She is average and sings annoyingly out of the side of her mouth.

I want Fran to win as I know her talents. I also like Jodie and am interested to see Cleo develop.
All the others I find blandly average

#6 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hmm, interesting how opinions differ.

I thought Amy was easily the weakest of the bunch, based on her performances, and would have been shocked had she stayed.

#7 Guest_Silence_*

Guest_Silence_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Was I the only one that heard Amy miss the note on "don't leave in silence". Watched it back and makes me cringe every time. As soon as she did that she knew she was gone. That crying wasn't acting towards the end...those were tears of a girl who knew she had blown it.

Yes Fran had a problem pitching a note in Hero, but she sang TMOAS beautifully...yes she has her lisp but hey so does Idina Menzel.

Fran has received a lot of bad press which when you break it down isn't 100% deserved. I wanted to dislike her due to knowing DvO but I couldn't as it would seem even the BBC want to use it against her on occasion. A lot has been made of the fact she played Denise's lover....yet Sarah played John's daughter.....why is that not on the front page of London Lite?

Nearly all these girls have had training....and those who haven't I worry for doing 8 shows a week. Fran has proven she can do the 8 shows (rent)...yes smaller part but still able to do it.

Hell do these people slamming Fran in the press remember that Bill Kenwright had Lee in two of his productions (Raul understudy in Phantom and Phaero is Joseph)...yet he is the toast of the town.

Amy was not the worst in the show (that goes to Tara...who appears not to be able to pronounce "see") but she was worst in the sing off.

#8 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Benchy @ Apr 1 2008, 07:50 PM) View Post
Personally I feel in the sing off that Francesca was a class above with her vocal performance. Amy was out of tune. People keep saying that anyone would feel at a disadvantage against Francesca but I feel that due to the tabloids great efforts that she is the one at a disadvantage. Its not her fault that she has starred in RENT with DVA. She has as much right as anyone to audition for the role of Nancy. She is a fantastic performer and I feel her performance last week was due to her being highlighted in the press. She wasn't great, she did go out of tune but I am sure she will fight back this week and prove herself.

From personal experience she is a lovely person and a fantastic musical actress. I think the negative exposure Fran has received has put her at a massive disadvantage. So many other professional actresses have auditioned. Some in the top 12 but don't seem to have been exposed as much as Fran

I don't think Amy should have been in the bottom two either. There were other much weaker. And I am not sure why Jessie is so popular. She is average and sings annoyingly out of the side of her mouth.

I want Fran to win as I know her talents. I also like Jodie and am interested to see Cleo develop.

That was a good post ~ it's terrible but I can't remember which one Cleo is? Barry Humphries is a funny judge ~ clearly one who loves the ladies! His comment about the 'spooky' girl starring in an Adams (sp?) Family musical was amusing. Yes, Jessie does seem to have the side mouth action going on! I didn't realise till I read the above post. I think she's popular because she looks rough/tough yet vulnerable too. She's definitely in it too win though ~ I know all of them would like to but it shows more with her. She's got a slight desperation about her. This should all probably be on the other thread... just looks too long to dive into.

#9 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(Benchy @ Apr 1 2008, 07:50 PM) View Post

That was a good post ~ it's terrible but I can't remember which one Cleo is? Barry Humphries is a funny judge ~ clearly one who loves the ladies! His comment about the 'spooky' girl starring in an Adams (sp?) Family musical was amusing. Yes, Jessie does seem to have the side mouth action going on! I didn't realise till I read the above post. I think she's popular because she looks rough/tough yet vulnerable too. She's definitely in it too win though ~ I know all of them would like to but it shows more with her. She's got a slight desperation about her. This should all probably be on the other thread... just looks too long to dive into.

#10 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

Found this on the bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oliver/video/index.shtml?week=15

i think its a nice interview and she is much more humble and genuine than i expected her to be. interesting that she says that they are "given" the songs, and also that there seems she has a desire to please DVO - or maybe im reading too much into it.

Anyway thought it showed a nice side to the girls relationships so i posted it. enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users