- - - - -

Does Anyone Think That Francesca Can Still Win It?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Benchy_*

Guest_Benchy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

I write this as I know she is a brilliant musical actress but I don't ever remember in a show of this type anyone contestant being the publics least favourite in the first show then going on to win it. I think she was very nervous the first week because of the pressure of the press and its scrutiny of her appearing in Rent and the whole DVA thing. Do you think that with fantastic performances she can win over the 'great british public'? Or do you think she win never be seen as a winner because she was in the 1st week sing off?

I have said in another post that I feel its unfair that she has been highlighted when most of the nancys have professional experience.

I think anyone should be allowed to audition. It does give people with no training a chance to persue their dream in musical theatre but also and quite rightly it gives professional actresses who have worked hard to persue their dream in musical theatre a chance of landing their dream role.

#2 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(Benchy @ Apr 2 2008, 05:06 PM) View Post
I write this as I know she is a brilliant musical actress but I don't ever remember in a show of this type anyone contestant being the publics least favourite in the first show then going on to win it. I think she was very nervous the first week because of the pressure of the press and its scrutiny of her appearing in Rent and the whole DVA thing. Do you think that with fantastic performances she can win over the 'great british public'? Or do you think she win never be seen as a winner because she was in the 1st week sing off?

I have said in another post that I feel its unfair that she has been highlighted when most of the nancys have professional experience.

I think anyone should be allowed to audition. It does give people with no training a chance to persue their dream in musical theatre but also and quite rightly it gives professional actresses who have worked hard to persue their dream in musical theatre a chance of landing their dream role.

I think this is a great post because it captures so much of what im (and alot of my colleagues) are thinking. I went to college with Fran and im in a show in town at the moment and we are all routing for her, but it seems that she has been pushed as the pro when in reality she is less experienced than Lark or Tucker. She has done a tour and a supporting role in a short run since college and the public are being force-fed that she is the most professional and a west end leading lady which is simply not fair. Also the DVO link is causing her to suffer as people think she has a free ticket.

However her performance on saturday was average (which she would admit) and she was spot-on in the sing off, so hopefully the public will see her talent and let her proove herself. I hope she isnt feeling too much pressure cos she is great and is one of the sweetest people in the world!

COME ON FRANNY!!!!!!

#3 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

The problem I have with her is not her training or experience but the fact that I don't buy her as a Nancy.  There has been nothing shown so far that gives me a sense of someone who has had to fight her way through life on the streets.

Her voice also doesn't seem to fit the genre of music that Bart was using.  Other comments have been made about her jazzy quality - that just doesn't work for Nancy IMHO.

Her diction was dreadful on Saturday (she wasn't the only to perform poorly in that respect) and that is something that she will need to work on.

She will get work in music theatre - but I really don't think she is a Nancy.

#4 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Georgia Brown the original Nancy was a well-known jazz singer before she starred in Oliver. So I don't see Fran's voice as a problem at all, if anything it fits Bart's original casting.

"gives me a sense of someone who has had to fight her way through life on the streets"

It's called acting.

#5 benchy

benchy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Apr 3 2008, 03:52 PM) View Post
Georgia Brown the original Nancy was a well-known jazz singer before she starred in Oliver. So I don't see Fran's voice as a problem at all, if anything it fits Bart's original casting.

"gives me a sense of someone who has had to fight her way through life on the streets"

It's called acting.

I think Francesca is great for the role. She is a fantastic actress and I am sure she can adapt her skills and personality to the role of Nancy perfectly. I think she has been unfairly singled out and I hope she gives a better performance this week and gets a more positive audience reaction. I for one shall be voting as she is the only one I would pay to see play Nancy in the West End.
She sang tell me on a Sunday beautifully and I hope the voting public can see past the black and white words in the press and see her for the talented young lady she is!

Fran to win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 jimee1987

jimee1987

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

I haven't read a paper in quite a while, the only things I have heard about the people in this competition come from the official website, this forum and what I heard on the show.
Am I blinded by the negative publicity?
My opinion of the performers suitability for the role comes entirely from what I saw in the live show and the results show this past weekend. There are a couple of them I think could pull off a convincing Nancy and Francesca isn't one of them. That's not a slur on her abilities as a performer because I can see she's good despite her poor performance on saturday night, thats purely my opinion based on what I think the character of Nancy should be.
"Condoms don't even go with lasagne"

#7 benchy

benchy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(jimee1987 @ Apr 3 2008, 09:27 PM) View Post
I haven't read a paper in quite a while, the only things I have heard about the people in this competition come from the official website, this forum and what I heard on the show.
Am I blinded by the negative publicity?
My opinion of the performers suitability for the role comes entirely from what I saw in the live show and the results show this past weekend. There are a couple of them I think could pull off a convincing Nancy and Francesca isn't one of them. That's not a slur on her abilities as a performer because I can see she's good despite her poor performance on saturday night, thats purely my opinion based on what I think the character of Nancy should be.

Well keep your eyes on the TV Sat night as Francesca will perform. If you are out record it! Did you not see her sing off performance?

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

The problem I have with her is not her training or experience but the fact that I don't buy her as a Nancy. There has been nothing shown so far that gives me a sense of someone who has had to fight her way through life on the streets.

Her voice also doesn't seem to fit the genre of music that Bart was using. Other comments have been made about her jazzy quality - that just doesn't work for Nancy IMHO.

Her diction was dreadful on Saturday (she wasn't the only to perform poorly in that respect) and that is something that she will need to work on.

Did you not see her in the sing of.....That singing was full of fight!!!!!!

#9 benchy

benchy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 3 2008, 10:57 PM) View Post
The problem I have with her is not her training or experience but the fact that I don't buy her as a Nancy. There has been nothing shown so far that gives me a sense of someone who has had to fight her way through life on the streets.

Her voice also doesn't seem to fit the genre of music that Bart was using. Other comments have been made about her jazzy quality - that just doesn't work for Nancy IMHO.

I saw the sing off. Fran was fantastic, full of fight and the best voice i have heard so far in the competition x

#10 benchy

benchy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 3 2008, 10:57 PM) View Post

She is  GREAT PROFESSIONAL ACTRESS. She can act, sing, beautifully when you general tv viewing people see this you will love x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users