36 replies to this topic

#1 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

niamh impressed me vocally, but i don't see anything vaguely nancyish about her at all

i like cleo's voice but i dont see her really connecting with the song - don't think there's really enough maturity there for her to be nancy

keisha - talk about sublime to the ridiculous. she was one of my favourites last week and just did nothing for me this week at all. it just seemed like bad karaoke and i actually felt quite disappointed after such a strong start last week

i really like samantha. i like that she manages to seem a lot older on stage, and she managed to make what's essentially a frothy pop song relevant to the part. i think she needs to be shown some other physical ways of expressing herself (ie more than just throwing her arms out to the side) but i think that's just down to a lack of experience. think john was very harsh.

francesca was better than last week but i just don't like her voice very much. i imagine she's much safer this week than she was last week though.

i thought rachel overdid it a bit tonight with her acting. i might have a different view seeing that performance in a theatre as opposed to on telly but i just think it was a bit much. don't think she did as much vocally with the song as she could have done. (why does john barrowman have to repeat every adjective three times?)

take another little piece of my heart is one of my favourite songs ever and i think sarah joins samantha as really having made her song relevant (how much of that is down to them, and how much down to the songs they're given?). i think she, more than any of them, really listens to what she's singing. strongest for the second week in a row i think. i disagree with their view about her not being gritty enough - i think she really showed that tonight.

tara. eurgh. not quite the train wreck i thought it might have been but really did nothing for me and i'm not quite sure how that was supposed to show her not being polished..!?! i also feel that she, of all the girls, is showing the least personality

i think jodie slipped further and further into cabaret tonight. i think physically she's most like the view i have of nancy but i don't really like her in any other way. think her diction was poor tonight too.

ashley was great vocally but i think she missed a trick with this song, because she could really have toned it down and made it completely appropriate to nancy, but didn't. i also think she needs to work on her non-choreographed movement, cos she seems a bit awkward still.

jessie still looks down too much for my liking. thought it was a nice acting performance but don't think she coped well with the lower range in the song and her vocals weren't great as a result. don't really understand quite why they raved so much.

i'd like to see tara and jodie in the bottom two, with tara going. i think it's more likely to keisha and possibly ashley or cleo though.

think the olivers are coming along quite nicely. barry humphries still bores me incessantly. he seems a bit deranged, and slightly pervy.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#2 Glinda172xxx

Glinda172xxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

I totally agree with Nimah being great vocally but not Nancy (well for me)

Rachel really pulled it out of the bag and i thought her acting was amazing!
Keisha is just a diva but she wont go yet

I really like sarah and thought her perfromance was good but she is really nacy for me

Jessie will win-everybody loves her but i dotn see why really. Shes good ut t amazing

Jodie gets on my nerves but then again she does have some Nancy qualities but i dotn think she can get away from the cabaret aspect of her perfromance

I really dont like Fran's voice regardless of her contacs with Denise. I love the song she sang and thought she did ok tonight and fought back. She isnt the only one wth professional experience with one of the pannel-Sarah played John's daughter in witches of Eastwick

Tara's awful in my eyes

Ashley was quite unmemorable tonight there were aspects that were great but then it was a bit boring

I totally agree with you on the Barry Humpheries thing

Cant really remember Cleo's perfromance she has a strong voice though

I reckon Tara will go

#3 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

The song chosen for Keisha seemed rather limiting to me. I'm no musician but there didn't appear to be much range in it, as if it were the sort of song you'd choose if you had plenty of power but little else to offer and knew your limitations. I wonder if the girls have any say over the numbers they're given.

Francesca is greatly improved since last week, apart from one slightly wobbly note. I hope she doesn't end up in the sing-off this time.

Sarah is still my favourite by a country mile. I loved her kicking the chair across the stage, and I don't understand why the panel thought she was too smiley. Andrew Lloyd Webber was spot on; John Barrowman was dead wrong, and someone should remind him that after he's had his say he shouldn't interrupt someone else who disagrees with him.

On the whole I'm glad to see the panel being more negative this week. Last week's show was little more than a mutual love-fest; this week they're starting to show some teeth. However I, too, fail to see the point in having Barry Humphries there unless it's to promote hair dye, as he's not being analytical in any way.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#4 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 5 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post
However I, too, fail to see the point in having Barry Humphries there unless it's to promote hair dye

laugh.gif

he's hardly your average 'just for men' model though, is he?

i do agree about keisha's song - there wasn't much of a range in it, but surely that makes it all the less excusable that there were moments where her pitching wasn't great.

i too like the fact that they're being a bit more critical this week, though i'm not sure i really agree with the people the criticism was being aimed at.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#5 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

I'm generally in agreement with you both.  I think Ashley and either Cleo or Tara may be in the bottom two.  I think Ashley's voice is good, but I find her a really unappealing performer (shame for her that they've stuck her in disastrous dresses two weeks running.)  Just as Haz said, Keisha plummeted from being one of my favourites to pretty near a car crash.  I thought both Francesca and Rachel overdid it a bit as well.  

My favourties were Niamh, Jessie and Samantha.  I'm impressed that Jessie could change so much in one week - got rid of the singing out of the side of her mouth and the hunching over.  I like Sarah Larkin (have I got that name right - 'little piece of my heart?') but I'm not sure that she is right for Nancy, there is a softness and delicacy about her that would suit so many roles, but maybe not this one.  Also the sparkly party dress didn't suit the song. And, yes, Niamh probably isn't Nancy either, but I bet she gets a lot of work from the show.

I don't mind Barry so much - someone wrote last week that he seems to be complimenting them and end up 'inadvertently' insulting them, which, perversely I rather enjoy.  But the other panelists seem to look at him as if he's a mad old uncle getting ready to stick a lampshade on his head.

The men in black are back but too glittery, this time.  Is there a new choreographer?  They need to come to grips with the Men in Black issue right away.

My husband thinks Denise Van Outen should play Nancy - now that would be a surprise ending for the series!

#6 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

I spent a fair bit of time thinking about the dancing (...not much dancing) this week as opposed to last and can't say I was blown away by any of them, with the very possible exception of Jodie -- for real, this is a skill Nancy needs, yes?  There were any number of songs that needed a sultry vibe but it didn't come across with most and barely with only a couple.  A lot of these songs needed serious strutting across that stage, and those from whom I expected to see it - Niamh, Keisha, Ashley -- I didn't get it.

Niamh - I love that song and the very last thing I wanted to do was get up and dance.  Lovely vocal but couldn't bring me into the swing of things at all.

Cleo - completely disagreed with DvO that her performance was "earthy."  Coudn't hear it.

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 5 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post
The song chosen for Keisha seemed rather limiting to me. I'm no musician but there didn't appear to be much range in it, as if it were the sort of song you'd choose if you had plenty of power but little else to offer and knew your limitations.

Agree, and she slipped from one of my favs to someone I more or less forgot by the end of the show, which is a realt pity as I thought she was fantastic last week.   I am willing to blame the song and the sloppy "dancing," such as it was.  I really like her voice, so here's hoping she gets a song next week that showcases it.

Samantha - apologies to her and her fans, but I was bored by the performance.

Francesca - yay! on her acting and soooo much better than last week.  Something of what I saw in Rent: Remixed really came through.

Rachel - was it me or was she vacantly looking off into the distance during the entire song?

Tara - thought I heard a couple of wrong notes in the chorus; nonetheless, guts for singing that song (really - does anyone know if the candidates have any say over what they sing?).  Howsoever, she was one of the least interesting out there for me.

Sarah - by far the best vocal out there.  I fear she will be axed on the Smiley Excuse, which is criminal.  She's marvelous.  

Jodie - much to my surprise, I really liked it and thought she was wonderful.  I'm uncertain what kind of Nancy she would make - she's still hitting cabaret-performance really hard, and oddly enough may be TOO cynical and street-wise for Nancy - can't quite see her sticking with Bill Sykes (I mean, she would have far too much sense).

Jessie - fantastic vocal but how is it possible to smile through that particular song?  I should have thought the singer would be weeping or near to.

Ashley - I spent more time watching the dancer?  Sorry again to her and fans, but I thought she slept-walked through the first chorus and it did nothing for me.

To whomever said the hairdesser should be fired: good grief, the costumer should be fired.  What dreadful creations these women are wearing (or bearing), not in the least flattering or matched to figure (or, more importantly, SONG).
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#7 Misplaced

Misplaced

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

PS - And ALW is totally creeping me out.  Does anyone else think he's looking and acting like Dana Carvey's "The Church Lady" in the old Saturday Night Live (not entirely the right country but I think it got over here)?
"I don't trust that pirate girl."

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

I was at the recording tonight and all the girls sounded fantastic - though Keisha and Tara were the weakest two in my view. It's interesting to see what you all thought of it.

#9 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:53 AM

I was also at the live show and can reveal that
Spoiler
went this week

[Spoiler concealed, on the assumption that it may actually be correct. We'll find out tonight. - Matthew]

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE(guest @ Apr 6 2008, 12:53 AM) View Post
I was also at the live show and can reveal that ... went this week

no great loss then.
who else was in the sing off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users