#31 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(Jennyish Joanne @ Apr 6 2008, 10:18 PM) View Post
Well, I suppose Keisha was the obvious one to save of the two, but can anyone tell me what I am missing with Niamh and Samatha?  I just do not see what they have either vocally or performance-wise...  Surely Nancy is as much acting as singing (if not more) so why does it always have to be about the song on the night.  The panel can get the result they want just by issuing the song to the performer.  Are they scared to use MT songs ar is it pandering to a Saturday night TV audience that we have to have "pop"?

I'm sure it's pandering to the audience. Most of the audience know almost nothing about musical theatre, so the show offers them songs they can sing along with rather than stuff they've never heard.

I don't believe it when Andrew Lloyd Webber says "I'm judging it on this performance". They already know which of the contestants are inferior, so I suspect that out of sight of the cameras it's a matter of "This one has the acting talent of a spoon; if you get the chance to get rid of her grab it with both hands" or "Keep that one in whatever it takes". The whole point of the sing-off is to give the show a chance to save an otherwise promising candidate from the consequences of a poor public response, so it would be stupid to base the elimination on a single song.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#32 Guest_Guest_Belinda_*_*

Guest_Guest_Belinda_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 7 2008, 05:37 AM) View Post
I'm sure it's pandering to the audience. Most of the audience know almost nothing about musical theatre, so the show offers them songs they can sing along with rather than stuff they've never heard.

Possibly true, but don't forget that it's the audience members who are the paying public: they are the ones who will be shelling out their hard-earned cash for tickets and putting bums on seats.

#33 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 7 2008, 06:37 AM) View Post
I don't believe it when Andrew Lloyd Webber says "I'm judging it on this performance". They already know which of the contestants are inferior, so I suspect that out of sight of the cameras it's a matter of "This one has the acting talent of a spoon; if you get the chance to get rid of her grab it with both hands" or "Keep that one in whatever it takes". The whole point of the sing-off is to give the show a chance to save an otherwise promising candidate from the consequences of a poor public response, so it would be stupid to base the elimination on a single song.

I agree.  Andrew Lloyd Webber we're not fooled.  

Out of the two I think he kept the right person in but I don't think either should have been in the bottom two.  Tara is a VERY lucky girl this week.

I won't be called a baggage!

#34 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

Did anyone else notice that when they did the acting thing Denise made NO comment about Francesca!!! She is by far the best thing in it IMO, and i re-iterate IMO, bt i don't think her working with Denise is going to help her in the long run!!!

#35 Guest_Yogi Bear_*

Guest_Yogi Bear_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 7 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post
Did anyone else notice that when they did the acting thing Denise made NO comment about Francesca!!! She is by far the best thing in it IMO, and i re-iterate IMO, bt i don't think her working with Denise is going to help her in the long run!!!

Good point! And from what I've been told (friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a postman of a friend etc) Francesca was fantastic and blew them away but it wasn't included on the programme because it would look like favouritism from DVO. Thats really unfair.

Is it me or is alot of the editing favouring Rachel at the moment?? She is the most experienced Nancy, which has only been touched on, and she is most definitely 'playing the game' - She cries in everything and says all the right things.

However she was VERY good in the first week.

Jessie to win i think - with a little training and guidance she could me memorizing!!

#36 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Yogi Bear @ Apr 8 2008, 11:51 AM) View Post
Jessie to win i think - with a little training and guidance she could me memorizing!!

I couldn't really understand the attraction with her, apart from "Killing Me Softly", which was very good. She is distinctive looking, and "feisty", but has an odd singing style, snarling out of the side of her mouth and sounding ever so slightly like Sean Connery! And she was dreadfully OTT in the acting task! If she can maintain her composure from "Killing..", maybe she could train up a bit, but that same night  by the group song, she was back to the snarling, face pulling and bad posture!

#37 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

None of the under 20s are impressing me hugely at the moment.

I really don't believe they would have the stamina to do 8 shows a week for an extended run

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users