• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barbapapa

Barbapapa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's been on once a month and I want to go to the next one (and I have never been to Madame Jojo's). Has anyone been to see this yet and can tell me what to expect?

#2 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Not heard of this... what is it?

Welcome to the Board, by the way, in case no-one else has said that.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#3 Barbapapa

Barbapapa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

It seems to be a Musical type show (at least it's got lots of music in it) and got some of the people behind the Hurly Burly Show involved. Don't know much more about it, it just caught my attention in the TimeOut listings and I've never been to Madame Jojo's, hence my question :)

#4 Guest_JayJames_*

Guest_JayJames_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I finally got to see Little Belter last night at Madame Jojo’s and though its not the type of venue you’d expect a kind of show like Little Belter to reside the team behind it do what they can given the space they’re working with.  I was attracted to the show purely because the music director, Steve Anderson, also works with Kylie Minogue and was behind the underrated Rent Remixed from a few years back.

The central theme of the show is a singer who I’ve never heard of before and her life-story. On one tiny stage they manage to fit a set, dancers and a pianist. The songs range from good versions of Live and Let Die, Could It Be Magic, Get The Party Started and Don’t Rain On My Parade. Elouise even does a pretty intimate re-interpretation of Lady Gaga’s Born This Way.

The music of the show is incredibly large as are the costumes. Interwoven in the music are her stories of burning down pie shops, dating bad boyfriends and being on cruise ships. Elouise struggles through The Winner Takes It All and screeches, rather than belts, some of the harder notes but repairs the damage when she does a striking interpretation of As Long As He Needs Me and a swing version of Don’t Rain On My Parade.

Though Elouise is an unbelievably good singer I found myself occasionally bored in-between the songs. Maybe it was too much about her. I saw a similar type show a few years ago by Caroline O’Conner who held the audience in the palms of her hands throughout its entirety by striking the right balance between the standards and the stories. Perhaps Elouise could take a leaf from O’Conners book and cut out some of the boring “me” talk and swap it with something more interesting like additional singing, a groove in which Elouise is most comfortable, or stories about the singers who she’s covering.  

Highlights were Could It Be Magic, Live And Let Die, Born This Way, Don’t Rain On My Parade and The Three Degrees disco anthem Giving Up Giving In. Other than a few quibbles, I can see why its on a well deserved UK tour. Little Belter holds a lot of promise and I really enjoyed myself.

3 stars

Running Order (from my notes)

Tonight
Tainted Love
I’d Like To Hate To Hate Myself In The Morning
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Could It Be Magic
Live And Let Die
Pretend Your Mine
Born This Way
No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
Walk Away