#491 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostMrTumnus, on 08 April 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

<br />Was very disappointed by Imelda at the Stage door. There could only have been 10 at the most waiting but she only signed for two (&quot;I don't do photographs&quot;) then ran off. <br />Michael was obviously in a hurry but still spent time talking to everyone and posed for photos. ***** performance.<br />

I don't see what you've got to be disappointed in, she's under no obligation to sign anything, and she may well have had somewhere else she needed to be!

#492 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

When I met her at Chichester, she was incredibly shy and reserved. Signed, but no photos. Even at Dress Circle's signing she was very quiet, I get the impression she doesn't like fans at the stage door. Either that or she simply wants to get home after the show, which is completely understandable!
Hasa diga eebowai

#493 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I don't understand why stage door behaviour gets judged so harshly. Some performers may be thriving on it and enjoying it and getting something out of it, for others the attention may be making them uncomfortable (especially when it's lots of people crowding around them, shoving cameras and programmes in their faces) and, yeah, they may just want to go home after an exhausting show. I don't get why they should pose for pictures with complete strangers...

#494 hollygolightly

hollygolightly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Just a quick question, about to book tickets for the matinee tomorrow and wondering if Michael and imelda do all shows including the matinees? Are their holiday dates known?

#495 Polly's dolly

Polly's dolly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

This info is probably to late now, but yes Michael and Imelda do all eight shows per week.The show is closed over the Olympics and this is the only period they (or anyone else):0) are not due to appear.

#496 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

The programme for this is really disappointing.

Not even so much as a list of scenes and musical numbers.

It would have been nice to have included more about the production, for instance why the story has transferred to the 1930s.

Waste of money really!

#497 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostAnthony, on 16 March 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

I saw this last night with my sister and a friend. Brilliant seats in Row D, well within 'spitting zone', especially when Michael Ball is at the front of the raised platform singing Epiphany; very menacing and threatening. For my sister and friend, it was their first time. There were a few empty seats around but the audience loved it. A standing ovation at the end was well deserved.

I saw Michael Ball recently being interviewed (on The One Show I think) and he said that he wanted it done properly with a full cast and orchestra. Given this it was somewhat curious that they included the Judge's self-flagellation scene, which is often cut, but didnít include the Pirelli tooth pulling sequence. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

Finally, we arrived later that Iíd hoped and made it to our seats with mere minutes to spare and exited through a side door and so didnít really have the chance to observe the merchandise, if any.

I know from reading this thread that theyíve recently recorded a highlightís cast recording and it can be purchased on Play.com. Any idea why a highlights, instead of a full recording? Also, does anyone know if there is any merchandising? Iím trying to get my hands on a poster

They didn't include the Beggar Woman's Lullaby either, which I would have liked to have heard.

#498 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

View Postultimatetheatrefan, on 18 March 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Adam Pearce was also in Evita before that, so it actually makes 4 different shows over 6 years. I do believe that one of the dressing rooms is actually called the 'Adam Pearce suite' in recognition of this. I remember reading about it during the Love Never Dies days!

How funny! And I've seen him in all those shows except Joseph.

#499 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 18 March 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Since the show opened in 1979 Tobias has always been played by a mental challenged younger adult of their earlyish 20s. Having a child to play the role in the 2007 was just an idea probably by Tim Burton. And if I'm honest, I don't think it would be right to have a young child actor or ex Dodger or Oliver or Gavroche or whatever to play the part 8 (shared obviously) shows a week as who knows?!, maybe they could develop bad habits?!!

I think it was a stroke of genius having a child play Tobias in the film.  I'd heard that was Sondheim's original intention but it becomes more difficul for child actor casting (sharing of the role)

I think it could be done now though.  The "Gustave" role in Love Never Dies is of a similar size and dramatic nature.

I for one was slightly disappointed they had gone back to the "simpleton" character.

#500 kcsevenoaks

kcsevenoaks

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Juts a quick add to this topic. This was my first experience of a Sondheim and of sweeny todd in any form, and I really enjoyed it. It was a lot darker than the things I usually see, but the more comedic parts lightened it up well. Overall I really think it is worth seeing.  On a side note we got out tickets from TKTS booth in leicster Sq £67.50 reduced to £45. We were in row T of the stall on the centre ailse (last row of the £67 price band) View was good wsith only the people at the very front of the higher stage level not being visable at times.  Overall a fab night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users