621 replies to this topic

#591 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

I saw this for the second time last night & really liked it.  Staunton was superb and Ball excellent too. I enjoyed Lucy Barker's performance as Joanna as well. The one thing I did notice was that there were many seats empty. Maybe it was because they had only just re-opened but I have heard it has been quite for a while. My youngest son wanted to go to SD so we wandered around & the door was mobbed; lots of Ball fans waiting for him

#592 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

View Postposter J, on 15 August 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

I also saw the matinee today, and have to say I was really disappointed.  Maybe I came in with too high expectations given all the good reviews, but the only person who impressed me was Imelda Staunton, who I thought was a brilliant Mrs Lovett.

Michael Ball was ok, but didn't make me go 'wow', same with the ensemble, and I thought some of the other leads were quite out of tune at points, wasn't that impressed with any of their vocals.

I don't know if it's because I was sitting towards the back of the stalls, but I thought the standard of diction in general was pretty poor - I frequently struggled to make out what was being said or sung, and the sound balance was way off at times as the music drowned out soloists.

The set design was clever and the lighting good, but there was nothing in this production that would make me rush back, which is disappointing given the calibre of the cast.

i totally agree

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#593 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm going to see this in a few weeks and I was wondering if there's any merchandise/what is it like/how much is it? because I usually get a keyring or something small from shows I see - I've got quite a collection!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#594 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

For merchandise- what's available and how much check out the website

http://sweeneytoddwestend.com/
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#595 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postposter J, on 15 August 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

I also saw the matinee today, and have to say I was really disappointed.  Maybe I came in with too high expectations given all the good reviews, but the only person who impressed me was Imelda Staunton, who I thought was a brilliant Mrs Lovett.

Michael Ball was ok, but didn't make me go 'wow', same with the ensemble, and I thought some of the other leads were quite out of tune at points, wasn't that impressed with any of their vocals.

I don't know if it's because I was sitting towards the back of the stalls, but I thought the standard of diction in general was pretty poor - I frequently struggled to make out what was being said or sung, and the sound balance was way off at times as the music drowned out soloists.

The set design was clever and the lighting good, but there was nothing in this production that would make me rush back, which is disappointing given the calibre of the cast.

I agree 100% , was expecting too much i think after all the hype, Michael Ball was good but not as good as i had expected, saw him in Hairspray a few years ago and thaught he was much better in that, Imelda Staunton was BRILLIANT, loved her, great comic timing and grat performance, but the rest of the leads i thaught were very weak for a west end show. Set design was clever as you said but a bit simple for my taste, I know something like sweeny isnt going to have a flashy set or anything but think a lot more could be done with it, i loved the gothic look in the film version and think that could have been Incorporated a bit more to the set of the show.

#596 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 16 August 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Set design was clever as you said but a bit simple for my taste, I know something like sweeny isnt going to have a flashy set or anything but think a lot more could be done with it, i loved the gothic look in the film version and think that could have been Incorporated a bit more to the set of the show.

The sets for Sweeney have always, while still in the Victorian era, reflected on the industrial revolution (an idea by Hal Prince when he directed it in 1979) which is why it's not the gothic looking Victorian cobblestones, brick walls, lampsts and fog like you'd see in Oliver! or anything by Dickens.
This production however is still industrial yet had a kick up to the depression of the 1930's hence the flashy "Lovett's Hot Pies" sign and black shop shutters. The show is also a transfer from Chichester, a theatre with a thrust stage, which is why it's simpler and fixed.

#597 kevinyork

kevinyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Saw this Weds eve.  Really enjoyed it over all I thought Michael and Imelda were great.  Liked John Bow but thought Peter Polycarpou a little weak and not menacing enough.  Did not like the girl who played Joanna (screetchy voice) or the lad who played Toby (too old and tall and with a weak voice).  Also, I have to say a top price stalls row r ticket gives a pretty poor view of the show.  Little rake towards the stage and the chair in front was not offset so the head of the woman in front obliterated 50% off scenes for me and made me feel remote from the performnce.

However, the programme did not list Jason Manford as being in it so when Pirelli was on I assumed it was someone else only to see from the cast list in the foyee in the interval that it was Jason.  Well done.  He can sing, act and do the accents,

#598 London-phan

London-phan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone is thinking of seeing the show tomorrow night as I have a pair of tickets available. My friend who I was going with now can't make it so I was hoping to sell the tickets. They are great seats in the stalls row F seats 13 & 14. They are top price £67.50 tickets on special offer for £35 each so that's what I'm asking for them. Would prefer to sell as pair but don't mind selling separate if I need to. Let me know if you're interested. Obviously with it being tomorrow I would have to meet you to give you the tickets as I have them in hand.
Thanks

#599 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I saw this yesterday and it was fantastic!
I was hoping to get a souvenir brochure but they had all sold out (on the website also).
Does anyone know where I'd be able to get one?
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#600 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I saw this yesterday afternoon, and I too was disappointed to find that the souvenir brochures have sold out. I was at the Dress Circle in July and noticed that they did have a batch of brochures. Since it is temporarily opening up again, I will be looking out for one later this year.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users