A Nancy Already Cast!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_James_*_*

Guest_Guest_James_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(jimee1987 @ Apr 20 2008, 02:44 PM) View Post
Standby and Alternate are not the same thing.
Aoife is an alternate which means she goes on set days a week regardless of whether the main lead is ill/on holiday or not.
A standby is like an understudy but they have no other role in the production. They go on when the part they cover is on holiday or has a planned absence.
Then the understudy is a member of the ensemble (generally) who goes on last minute if the lead becomes ill.

So if the story in the paper is true, Tanya Nyari will go on if the lead has a planned absence on a Tuesday or a Thursday.

You would not employ someone to only be a standby for 2 set days a week that would be crazy,if they have named days to perform it would be as an alternate,wording by the paper dosent mean its certain  that she has been hired as only a standby.

Its not an exact sceience each producer uses whatever title they want to and most seem to do what they do with Joseph and Jersey Boys a certain  performer will be Narrator/Frankie at certain performances.

#12 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

This is a tabloid newspaper article. The intended readership isn't going to be clued up on the fine distinctions between a standby, alternate or understudy. It's best not to read too much into the wording.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#13 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

It sounds possibly as if there is going to be an alternate for Tuesday and Thursday (more than one Nancy from the show?), who will also be first cover for the other days. So they needed a separate first cover for the alternate's days.....?

But I don't get how ALW is supposed to have been involved either. It wouldn't have been up to him to sign her for anything to do with Nancy.

#14 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Annasette @ Apr 20 2008, 06:19 PM) View Post
It sounds possibly as if there is going to be an alternate for Tuesday and Thursday (more than one Nancy from the show?), who will also be first cover for the other days. So they needed a separate first cover for the alternate's days.....?

But I don't get how ALW is supposed to have been involved either. It wouldn't have been up to him to sign her for anything to do with Nancy.

That would make sense BUT I simply don't believe this story. From the Sunday Mirror:
  "I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre.

"I'm going to be Nancy and it's all happened without even having to go on TV."

Why on earth would anyone employ a completely inexperienced unknown as cover, alternate, or anything?
And you're right, it would not be ALW's decision to cast a role of this nature in Cam Mac's production!

Either this is an experienced actress with a fake back story, or more likely she was commented upon favourably at her son's audition and someone has built up this story out of nothing.

#15 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Since when did the Sunday Mirror get anything right?

#16 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Apr 21 2008, 08:10 PM) View Post
Since when did the Sunday Mirror get anything right?

Fair point!

#17 shiningstars

shiningstars

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(freckles @ Apr 21 2008, 07:33 PM) View Post
That would make sense BUT I simply don't believe this story. From the Sunday Mirror:
  "I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre.

"I'm going to be Nancy and it's all happened without even having to go on TV."

Why on earth would anyone employ a completely inexperienced unknown as cover, alternate, or anything?
And you're right, it would not be ALW's decision to cast a role of this nature in Cam Mac's production!

Either this is an experienced actress with a fake back story, or more likely she was commented upon favourably at her son's audition and someone has built up this story out of nothing.

Just to let everybody know, she may not have any experience in theatre, so that could be true, but I know somebody who knows her- I THINK her son goes to SY but I'll check that (not that that's entirely significant...) and also she has a performing arts degree.

They don't mention that!!

#18 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(shiningstars @ Apr 21 2008, 09:38 PM) View Post
Just to let everybody know, she may not have any experience in theatre, so that could be true, but I know somebody who knows her- I THINK her son goes to SY but I'll check that (not that that's entirely significant...) and also she has a performing arts degree.

They don't mention that!!

Hmmm...so she could be like "Nancy Nancy"; the girl from the auditions who was filmed at home on her council estate, a real salt-of-the-earth Cockerney, who turned out to be a professional and was shortly afterwards cast as Eponine in Les Mis?

(I'm not knocking her BTW, just the way the bbc portrayed her!)

#19 Guest_one who knows_*

Guest_one who knows_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

I worked on Oliver at The Palladium and in Toronto.
Three different performers played Nancy during my time on the show - Claire Moore, Ruthie Henshall & Sonia Swaby.
Illness & hoiday aside they all did eight shows a week - Sonia was really quite preggy by the time we wrapped in Toronto and could barely squeeze down the manhole cover!
Not a role that demands two shows off a week.

#20 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

Of course Nancy isn't a role that "demands" two days off a week. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't happen, particularly if the intention is to go with an untrained girl. And I don't think an "Oliver" tour is going to employ half the unsuccessful candidates this time! So I do think there is a possibility that they will want to hang on to one of the others to cover themselves in case of problem, to cover holidays and to potentially take over. It didn't happen with Connie or Lee Mead, but there is always the possibility that, for whatever reason, an extension to the initial 6 month contract either won't be offered or won't be accepted.

One issue that has occurred to me is that both Maria and Joseph are very much the primary roles that the shows have hung on. And both Connie and Lee Mead were/are purportedly being very, very well paid to continue. But Nancy isn't a primary role, and the show (particularly when with Rowan Atkinson) isn't going to be as effectively reliant on whoever wins the role. So although "Oliver" is already guaranteed to make big profits, and the pay will still presumably be well over standard, I am not so sure that the same sort of financial incentive to stay on will apply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users