A Nancy Already Cast!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_one who knows_*

Guest_one who knows_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Annasette @ Apr 25 2008, 11:12 AM) View Post
Of course Nancy isn't a role that "demands" two days off a week. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't happen, particularly if the intention is to go with an untrained girl. And I don't think an "Oliver" tour is going to employ half the unsuccessful candidates this time! So I do think there is a possibility that they will want to hang on to one of the others to cover themselves in case of problem, to cover holidays and to potentially take over. It didn't happen with Connie or Lee Mead, but there is always the possibility that, for whatever reason, an extension to the initial 6 month contract either won't be offered or won't be accepted.

One issue that has occurred to me is that both Maria and Joseph are very much the primary roles that the shows have hung on. And both Connie and Lee Mead were/are purportedly being very, very well paid to continue. But Nancy isn't a primary role, and the show (particularly when with Rowan Atkinson) isn't going to be as effectively reliant on whoever wins the role. So although "Oliver" is already guaranteed to make big profits, and the pay will still presumably be well over standard, I am not so sure that the same sort of financial incentive to stay on will apply.

"guaranteed to make big profits"????
In no way is this production guaranteed to make any form of profit, let a lone a big one.
There are few, if any, guarantees in the industry when it comes to profits. It is a high risk, extremely speculative game. Paul Elliott is on record as stating that after 40 years of producing he has just about broken even - the highs and lows, losses and gains cancelling out one another.

#22 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Don't be silly now! What might normally have applied is irrelevant when it is advertised with however many weeks of the television show. Of course "Oliver" is going to make big profits! Ridiculously high advance ticket sales are already ensuring that! They have taken more than 3m in 10 days, with the show not even due to open until December!

#23 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(one who knows @ Apr 25 2008, 12:22 PM) View Post
"guaranteed to make big profits"????
In no way is this production guaranteed to make any form of profit, let a lone a big one.
There are few, if any, guarantees in the industry when it comes to profits. It is a high risk, extremely speculative game. Paul Elliott is on record as stating that after 40 years of producing he has just about broken even - the highs and lows, losses and gains cancelling out one another.

So where's Cameron Mack got his 500M from? Horse-racing? Paul Elliott should have put on better shows  laugh.gif Even if they're not good at the artistic side, or even putting bums on seats, theatre producers should be extremely adept at the sort of business practices described by Michael Heseltine when President of the Board of Trade; eg avoiding paying creditors.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#24 Guest_unknown_*

Guest_unknown_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

This is a pleasure to read. I hope everything works out well for all concerned. It'a so nice to read positive news for a change. Well done Sunday Mirror !

#25 Guest_unknown_*

Guest_unknown_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(unknown @ May 2 2008, 10:56 AM) View Post
This is a pleasure to read. I hope everything works out well for all concerned. It'a so nice to read positive news for a change. Well done Sunday Mirror !

#26 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Misplaced @ Apr 20 2008, 12:15 PM) View Post
Sorry, I'm a victim of my own imprecision: the article states she was hired as an understudy, and later that she was given a one-year contract "to be on standby to cover Nancy" on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
'Nuff said.

I would like to know when or if we will be seeing Tanya on TV ? I think we should be able to see our understudies too. What are your views ?

#27 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Sorry, I'm a victim of my own imprecision: the article states she was hired as an understudy, and later that she was given a one-year contract "to be on standby to cover Nancy" on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
'Nuff said.

I would like to know when or if we will be seeing Tanya on TV ? I think we should be able to see our understudies too. What are your views ?

#28 Guest_Guest_Paul_*_*

Guest_Guest_Paul_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(unknown @ May 2 2008, 10:56 AM) View Post

yes,I agree, It's  great to hear a 'feel good' story. I would love to see this on TV. She does look a lot like Shani Wallis.

#29 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:16 PM

'Nuff said.

Standby or understudy whatever it is, I think it's a great story. Whoever gets to play Nancy in the show, this is the one I want to see. I love the mystery. Is`it possible to book tickets for the understudy I wonder ? If I see the show, which I will, I will make sure I book for a Tuesday or Thursday !

#30 Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*

Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Joe @ May 5 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post
Standby or understudy whatever it is, I think it's a great story. Whoever gets to play Nancy in the show, this is the one I want to see. I love the mystery. Is`it possible to book tickets for the understudy I wonder ? If I see the show, which I will, I will make sure I book for a Tuesday or Thursday !

I aggree, Tanya looks like a real Nancy. None of this showbiz stuff. She's a proper, natural Nancy. Very much like the woman in the musical. She does't even need a costume. She looks the part. I'd like to book tickets to see her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users