• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#51 Oxford Simon

Oxford Simon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare, Sondheim, Bernstein, Blitzstein and on and on and on and on....<br />

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

Is this thread still going?

#52 Guest_Guest_bob_*_*

Guest_Guest_bob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Jo @ Apr 20 2008, 07:04 AM) View Post
According to the Sunday Mirror an unknown  Tanya Nyari has already been cast as Nancy to perform on Tuesday and Thursday evenings,she was spotted while taking her 12 year son to Oliver auditions.

Given they ae selecting someone for the part by public vote and  dont have total control they would be totally daft not to have a backup plan. They would in any case normally need an understudy so it would not supriseme at all f there is another Nancy lurking around as well. The three  they now have are all fairly risky.

#53 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Guest_bob_* @ May 26 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
Given they ae selecting someone for the part by public vote and dont have total control they would be totally daft not to have a backup plan. They would in any case normally need an understudy so it would not supriseme at all f there is another Nancy lurking around as well. The three they now have are all fairly risky.

How on earth is picking an unknown who has never done any kind of show like this before not "risky"?!? At least the girls who have been through the competition have had that experience - they've received vocal coaching, they've built up stamina, they've learnt about movement... They have no idea what kind of training or lack of it this woman has had. I'd say that was a far bigger risk than choosing someone they've watched perform week after week, wouldn't you?

Plus, this is the third time that they've been through this process now - if they got through HDYSAPLM and ADWD without picking people off the street do you not think they could manage for this role, when it isn't even a LEAD role that they're casting for?

#54 Guest_Guest_paul_*_*

Guest_Guest_paul_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ May 26 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post
How on earth is picking an unknown who has never done any kind of show like this before not "risky"?!? At least the girls who have been through the competition have had that experience - they've received vocal coaching, they've built up stamina, they've learnt about movement... They have no idea what kind of training or lack of it this woman has had. I'd say that was a far bigger risk than choosing someone they've watched perform week after week, wouldn't you?

Plus, this is the third time that they've been through this process now - if they got through HDYSAPLM and ADWD without picking people off the street do you not think they could manage for this role, when it isn't even a LEAD role that they're casting for?

#55 Guest_Guest_paul_*_*

Guest_Guest_paul_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

I think it is ridiculous to assume that this women is not a professional with a great deal of experience in provincial theatres. She would have undertaken several auditions and calls backs. Just because she is not being "auditioned" on tv does not mean she does not go through a rigourous selection process. Because you don't see it on the telly does not mean it does not happen duh! huh.gif

#56 Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*

Guest_Guest_Peter_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

(Come on....you can't believe everything you read in the paper ! Take it all with a pinch of salt  or maybe a tea spoon of salt. I've met the ' Secret Nancy ' and I know she HAS experience in  theatre productions, jazz bands and as a session musician. She also teaches music  and has recently been involved in preparing children for ' OLIVER ' auditions. She's great with the kids. Ive heard her sing with them and she IS right for the part of Nancy. She's a natural ! If you want to find out for yourself take a walk to St Paul's Church on a Saturday.

#57 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Guest_paul_* @ May 27 2008, 09:40 PM) View Post
I think it is ridiculous to assume that this women is not a professional with a great deal of experience in provincial theatres. She would have undertaken several auditions and calls backs. Just because she is not being "auditioned" on tv does not mean she does not go through a rigourous selection process. Because you don't see it on the telly does not mean it does not happen duh! huh.gif

I quote the article:
""I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre"I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre"

#58 Guest_Guest_peter_*_*

Guest_Guest_peter_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE(rona910 @ Jun 9 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post
I quote the article:
""I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre"I can't believe my luck," said Tanya, who has no experience of working in the theatre"

I think luck does play an important part in this business.and I believe S.N was very lucky. But I don't know why the papers said that she 'has no experience of working in the theatte' other than the fact that it makes a better read. Also why mention the 'single mum' bit' ? Poor girl makes good perhaps ? S.N turned down stardom to look after family- very true to the character of Nancy herself ie putting others before herself. A real Tart with a Heart. Iwant to see more of this S.N !!!!!

#59 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

I am very happy for Tanya but when I go to see the show I will most definitely want to see Jodie on stage ~ I loved her in the show and having met her recently I love her even more. She is a star.

#60 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

The Sunday Mirror printed a retraction and apology the following week stating that nobody had been cast and that the story was wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users